The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Help. Not qualified for Ipi/Nivo trial

Forums General Melanoma Community Help. Not qualified for Ipi/Nivo trial

Participant

I was turned down for Ipi/Nivo trial here in Ontario because the margins from my head/neck WLE were positve. Onc wants me to start radiation and then Tafinlar/Mekinist.

I am looking for any advice and experience that anyone with head/neck has had with this combination.

My head has not even healed yet and all this is happening fast.

Thanks to anyone who may answer.  I am feeling a quite a loss not getting into trial.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Hi KABC, are you stage 3 at this point? and are the Targeted therapy drugs a trial as well?

kabc
            Participant

I am stage 3b. Targeted drugs would be given on compassionate application, not a trial

ed williams
              Participant

You might find this information from two weeks ago helpful. Best wishes!!!Ed. http://www.onclive.com/web-exclusives/fda-grants-adjuvant-dabrafenibtrametinib-priority-review-for-braf-melanoma

kabc
                Participant

Thank you so much Ed. I really didn't know where to begin.  I came across this forum when I first had mole on head removed and then SLNB 2016. Nodes were all negative.  Fall of 2017 small lump appeared.

I appreciate all the information provided on this forum. People are very kind and compassionate.

Thanks K

obtu.bt
                  Participant
                    Hi Kabc,
                    Just wanted to know if you have any Radiotherapy or immunotherapy after SLNB?
                    kabc
                    Participant

I did not have either.  It was watch and wait because margins were clear on original excision and then lymph nodes were also clear.

obtu.bt
                      Participant
                        Hi Ed,
                        It is quite interesting study. So if patient is braf + would it be better to go to opdivo or taf/mek combo? Any comparison?
                        ed williams
                        Participant

That would be to easy!!!! Big pharma wants to get drugs to market, so a comparison would delay and might be bad for business. In the long run the data will show which is the better way to go, but for now getting access and funding is the hard part. I have heard leading oncologist talk highly about both Immunotherapy check point inhibitors and targeted therapy drugs. I don't think there is any solid data to sway opinion either way at this point. Best wishes!!!!Ed

Bubbles
                        Participant

I don't know if this applies in Canada, but in the states Nivo as a single agent has been approved for adjuvant treatment:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/12/about-damn-time-opdivo-approved-as.html  

Here is a link to a zillion posts about adjuvant care…including BRAF/MEK:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=adjuvant  

Hope this helps.  I wish you well. Celeste

sister of patient
                            Participant

So far (I think), Ipi as a monotherapy is the only one approved, in Ontario, as an adjuvant treatment for Stage 3. Hoping for Nivo's approval within the next six – 12 months, as we do seem to "follow suit."

Barb

Calynda
                            Participant

This time last year I was supposed to go on ipi/nivo, but I had some complications coming down off my steroids I had been on during brain radiation.  I started Tafinlar/Mekenist and had a few elevated liver numbers.  We adjusted the doses and it’s worked great so far.  It’s seems to be getting less effective, but we knew when we started that it would have a maximum effective time…. I have a laser ablation scheduled Tuesday to take care of one lesion in my head that’s become problematic, but everything else around my body has improved in the drug combo.  We’re planning to switch me over to the combo immunotherapy after I heal up from surgery.

Viewing 2 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics