The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Help! Care for cut roses…

Forums General Melanoma Community Help! Care for cut roses…

Participant

Alright, my beloved husband is taking a dozen roses to his daughter's graduation this evening.  He'll have them in hand for about 4 hours or more before he can give them to her. 

How should he carry them? (They are not in a vase). Will they be ok without water for that long, or should he wrap them in damp towels until presentation time?

Alright, my beloved husband is taking a dozen roses to his daughter's graduation this evening.  He'll have them in hand for about 4 hours or more before he can give them to her. 

How should he carry them? (They are not in a vase). Will they be ok without water for that long, or should he wrap them in damp towels until presentation time?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bonnie Lea
        Participant

sounds silly, but I have recieved a doz roses each with a wee little plastic bottle affair that snaps on with water on it for each single stem.  Other than that,  a damp paper towel, wrapped with plastic wrrap, and neatly covered in aluminium foil shoud do it.  (you can deocrate it with a bit ' ribbon.

Bonnie Lea
          Participant

sounds silly, but I have recieved a doz roses each with a wee little plastic bottle affair that snaps on with water on it for each single stem.  Other than that,  a damp paper towel, wrapped with plastic wrrap, and neatly covered in aluminium foil shoud do it.  (you can deocrate it with a bit ' ribbon.

TinaR
            Participant

The little floral bottles are nice… in any craft store…but you can wrap the flowers in wet paper towel and do the baggie/foil thing….you can add a bit of wet floral foam ( take a chunk, hollow it out to fit the bottom 3/4 inches of stems-then soak and use as a disposable small stem vase – still baggie/paper-towel/foil the bottom and then remove/discard before presenting. I think they would probably be ok…better safe than sorry as you don't know how they were kept prior to purchase.

TinaR
                Participant

that was supposed to be * 3 or 4 * inches…NOT 3/4 inch πŸ™‚

TinaR
                  Participant

that was supposed to be * 3 or 4 * inches…NOT 3/4 inch πŸ™‚

TinaR
                  Participant

The little floral bottles are nice… in any craft store…but you can wrap the flowers in wet paper towel and do the baggie/foil thing….you can add a bit of wet floral foam ( take a chunk, hollow it out to fit the bottom 3/4 inches of stems-then soak and use as a disposable small stem vase – still baggie/paper-towel/foil the bottom and then remove/discard before presenting. I think they would probably be ok…better safe than sorry as you don't know how they were kept prior to purchase.

KyCyn
                    Participant

Thansk, all – we went the plastic bag/moist paper towl route, with tissue paper around them – they look pretty, and espcially so in my husband's arms – and I'm sure his daughter will love them!

Cyn

PS – Geez, Roxanne, it's come to this??? I'm posting to ask questions about long-stemmed roses??!  I can't help it, I still sometimes get nostalic, thinking about the times when a sinple conversation about clotheslines could wreak havoc…. πŸ˜‰

KyCyn
                        Participant

Holy Moly!  I just re-read my post, and next time I type I'll wear my glasses πŸ™‚

Bonnie Lea
                          Participant

yes but Cynthia, glasses don't and won't help m y typing dunno what to do?  re clothes lines.  They are such an important part of our heriitage both in the usa and canada.  I miss having mine.  (ours went over top our swimming p ool) now grant you we lived inn the country, so the only ones who atually saw my 'unders' were cows from neighbours farm pastures next door.  now in the subdivision from  hell,  people  hide  'clothes horses' on their decks which are all 10 feet up off the ground (above ground basement s)  laundry on main floor)  Not me use of dryer all the time. 

One thing, in the country we had HARD HARD HARD water, but ever so clean and fresh,  and I did not believe in water softner which did not work, (also could not afford to have one of the big  in house things attached to the pump)  and always forgot to save money and did not kknow about "warshing sodda'   hahah  how do you equate towels that scratch?  Hubby loved it but of course he is a bear! uses door ways for back scratches whenn I am on strike.  But babies howeled and got red.  I just bled out all the time. hahah

(brisk country air?   frozen unders?  ah!  but I loved the smell true)  now the neighbours would def all choke on their martoonies.

Bonnie Lea
                            Participant

yes but Cynthia, glasses don't and won't help m y typing dunno what to do?  re clothes lines.  They are such an important part of our heriitage both in the usa and canada.  I miss having mine.  (ours went over top our swimming p ool) now grant you we lived inn the country, so the only ones who atually saw my 'unders' were cows from neighbours farm pastures next door.  now in the subdivision from  hell,  people  hide  'clothes horses' on their decks which are all 10 feet up off the ground (above ground basement s)  laundry on main floor)  Not me use of dryer all the time. 

One thing, in the country we had HARD HARD HARD water, but ever so clean and fresh,  and I did not believe in water softner which did not work, (also could not afford to have one of the big  in house things attached to the pump)  and always forgot to save money and did not kknow about "warshing sodda'   hahah  how do you equate towels that scratch?  Hubby loved it but of course he is a bear! uses door ways for back scratches whenn I am on strike.  But babies howeled and got red.  I just bled out all the time. hahah

(brisk country air?   frozen unders?  ah!  but I loved the smell true)  now the neighbours would def all choke on their martoonies.

KyCyn
                              Participant

Holy Moly!  I just re-read my post, and next time I type I'll wear my glasses πŸ™‚

TinaR
                                Participant

Yes, Cyn, it's come to this- very sad. BUT we must not complain…remember "change is good and we must get used to it and get over it" …at least I think that's what he  told us when we complained. I believe he wrote something along the lines of 'wah wah wah, blah blah blah". 

I DO try, every once in a while, to take the devil's advocate position as in days of old to stim controversy and action. Yeah yeah, they never come here and they're all on Facebook chatting- sure.  I don't  believe the same 2 people are opening and reading the posts 400 times. Have Yawn put  F#*K in the subject and watch the church ladies and gents open faster than they can pray to the Grits God  wink

LV
                                  Participant

Lol!

LV
                                    Participant

Lol!

TinaR
                                      Participant

Yes, Cyn, it's come to this- very sad. BUT we must not complain…remember "change is good and we must get used to it and get over it" …at least I think that's what he  told us when we complained. I believe he wrote something along the lines of 'wah wah wah, blah blah blah". 

I DO try, every once in a while, to take the devil's advocate position as in days of old to stim controversy and action. Yeah yeah, they never come here and they're all on Facebook chatting- sure.  I don't  believe the same 2 people are opening and reading the posts 400 times. Have Yawn put  F#*K in the subject and watch the church ladies and gents open faster than they can pray to the Grits God  wink

KyCyn
                                      Participant

Thansk, all – we went the plastic bag/moist paper towl route, with tissue paper around them – they look pretty, and espcially so in my husband's arms – and I'm sure his daughter will love them!

Cyn

PS – Geez, Roxanne, it's come to this??? I'm posting to ask questions about long-stemmed roses??!  I can't help it, I still sometimes get nostalic, thinking about the times when a sinple conversation about clotheslines could wreak havoc…. πŸ˜‰

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics