The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

HELP! Advice Needed!

Forums General Melanoma Community HELP! Advice Needed!

Participant
      Hello All. Please bare with me as I seek some advice and comfort. My grandmother had a 0.2 mm melanoma removed from her forehead in 11/2015. It was “mostly in-situ” and no scan was done on diagnosis. Every 3 months she went to derm for a body check and saw the surgeon 1x per year – he did a chest xray – stating that when melanoma comes back – it goes to the lungs -_-. Top rated surgeon, no less. I do not think he was aware of the literature stating that melanoma on the forehead typically returns to the brain – and on the scalp is typically a worse prognosis (from what I can find).

The past few months – I have been noticing some mild cognitive changes and I requested she go see neurology. After some resistance, on MRI she was found to have 8 lesions on her brain. They were hemmorragic and she was sent to the hospital. She was discharged and I brought her to Memorial Sloan and they ordered PET scans. She has 8 lesions in the brain – one in lung and one possible on the adrenal. She feels “fine” – and doesnt see the cognitive changes that I see. Through her eyes, she is mostly asymptomatic.

She had a lung biopsy of the lesion on the upper right lobe and it was found to be positive for melanoma.

She is being following with neuro-oncology and oncology. She begins ipi/nivo on Monday. She is 82 – but prior to this was driving, working – an active 82.

Please tell me something positive! I just cannot believe we are here from 1 lesion that was in-situ? Sigh. I am terrified.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant
          Here is a recent Onclive video (June 2019) of best practices in treating brain mets. Each case is unique and issues like size of tumor and location when it comes to the brain are considered by oncology team when making treatment decisions. I had 3 small brain mets treated by cyberknife in 2013 and nivo treatments via clinical trial after qualifying post brain radiation. There is hope that the combination of ipi+nivo can produce long term success or control of brain mets and she is at a good hospital which can make a big difference!!! Good luck!!! Ed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDu3x9xhH-U
            nasullivan
            Participant
              Thank you! I am glad to hear you are doing well … trying to be positive.

Her lersions are mostly small – some very small (mm) and the largest being 1.6 cm in her temporal lobe and the second largest in her occiptal region 1.5cm – the others are smaller.

Neurology seems to want to hold off on radiation as she is “mostly asymptomatic” = but from what I can find – radiation + immunotherapy works best. Then again, she is 82 – so maybe they are trying the immunotherapy first?

ed williams
              Participant
                So here is my view of radiation+ checkpoint inhibitors working best vs either one alone, it is being studied in phase 2 trial but the final results aren’t in yet (see link below). There is a lot of retrospective data (looking back at melanoma patients) that shows this relationship. Celeste has posted tons of time on her blog about this relationship and has lots of article on the topic but as far as I know I have not seen stereotatic (srs) radiation done with ipi+ nivo in a phase 3 clinical trial setting where they control the variables with separate arms of treatment. There is lots of data based on patients that have had SRS follow by checkpoint inhibitors like ipi+nivo of nivo or pembro alone or targeted therapy followed by SRS radiation or the opposite order of SRS then targeted therapy data in retrospective studies. I am sure Celeste or others will correct my comments if I am wrong on this point. The hope with checkpoint inhibitor combination treatment like ipi+nivo is durable lasting responses, and maybe SRS might be needed on any tumor that doesn’t respond. If you look up checkmate 204 trial you will find more information about this relatively new approach to treating brain mets. Here is a link that talks about the trial. https://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/JCO.2017.35.15_suppl.9507 https://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/JCO.2019.37.15_suppl.TPS9600
                ed williams
                Participant
                  This link goes with asco post article. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03340129
                  ed williams
                  Participant
                    Sorry, link goes with ABC-X trial.
                  Ellie_82
                  Participant
                    Hi Nasullivan, have they established that it is the same melanoma that was removed in situ? Statistically she is more likely to have developed a new melanoma that metastasized, than have the removed in situ melanoma to grow.

But regardless, there are options, although her being 82, some caution of side effects is warranted. You dont want the treatments to hurt her more and faster than the cancer. Has she been tested for BRAF mutation? If shes positive, that gives her new treatment options. Regarding immuno and radiation to the brain, her being asymptomatic, why not try immuno first and see. Why subject her to additional procedures if immuno may take care of it on it’s own? If not then you can always do so it at a later time. In fact she may have fewer or smaller lesions to remove because immuno would have shrunk them. She might be in a good health but at 82, it’s better to not overload the body if you can help it. All the best!

Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics