The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Help :)

Forums General Melanoma Community Help :)

Participant

I was diagnosed in May 2012 with melanoma at 23 years old and 6 months pregnant with my second daughter. I went to what they call a salud clinic which is a half priced clinic in my opinion. The doctor for one, had his nurse Call me to tell me I had melanoma but she knew nothing! I couldn't even talk to the doctor himself! And she called me on a Friday at almost 5 pm! I saw a surgeon that following Monday he never even told me a stage. Saw an oncologist and he didn't explain much of anything. I had a local wide excision as well as sentinel node biopsy done July 2012 and it came back clear. I have just been seeing a dermatologist regularly. Until one day I heard of someone that it reoccurred in after 5 years. Now I'm like what!!! Was I supposed to be getting yearly pet scans and blood work?! Nobody said anything. My original melanoma was a 1.1 mm with a mitosis rate of 1 per 2. I don't even know what stage that would have been!!! Help! 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Based on the thickness and the fact that there was no lymph node involvement, that'd be Stage 1.. but if there was ulceration that would change it a bit I believe. Don't worry too much, with a low stage you would just have regular dermatologist check ups, nothing more. Blood work would show nothing and scans would be unnecessary exposure to radiation for such a low stage. They should have scanned you before or after your surgery, to be thorough, but wouldn't need regular scans after that.

There is always that small chance of recurrence, but at lower stages it is very much in your favor that it could never come back. Just be aware of any new or changing things on your skin and take care of them if needed. Try not to stress about a possible recurrence, you can't predict the future, you can only live for today and today you are healthy and alive and have a very good chance of never dealing with melanoma again.

I am sorry you had a crappy experience with doctors through this, that never makes us feel good about anything. But, you can't change that now. You're doing everything you can and that's all you can do.

All the best,

jennunicorn
          Participant

Based on the thickness and the fact that there was no lymph node involvement, that'd be Stage 1.. but if there was ulceration that would change it a bit I believe. Don't worry too much, with a low stage you would just have regular dermatologist check ups, nothing more. Blood work would show nothing and scans would be unnecessary exposure to radiation for such a low stage. They should have scanned you before or after your surgery, to be thorough, but wouldn't need regular scans after that.

There is always that small chance of recurrence, but at lower stages it is very much in your favor that it could never come back. Just be aware of any new or changing things on your skin and take care of them if needed. Try not to stress about a possible recurrence, you can't predict the future, you can only live for today and today you are healthy and alive and have a very good chance of never dealing with melanoma again.

I am sorry you had a crappy experience with doctors through this, that never makes us feel good about anything. But, you can't change that now. You're doing everything you can and that's all you can do.

All the best,

jennunicorn
            Participant

All the best,

Janner
              Participant

You are stage 1b if you had no ulceration, stage 2a if you had ulceration.  No scans are done (even baseline) for early stages.  Blood work is of questionable value as there are no specific melanoma markers.  Regular derm visits are what you should be doing, nothing more.  Melanoma can come back many years later, but it is the rare exception and not the norm.  There is no guarantee once you pass five to ten years but the longer you go, the better your odds.

Janner

stage 1b since 1992, 3 melanoma primaries

HopefulOne
                  Participant

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your story.

Here is my husband's: 18 years after having melanoma cut off his shoulder, it retuned. 

He went to the dermatologist every year. But what we didn't know was that it was already lurking beneath the skin. It came back with a vegenance and he was then Stage 3C. Seven months after that, Stage 4. One thing I promised myself was to share this story so that others know to at least have the conversation with their doctor. Maybe insurance won't pay for it and maybe it's too small a percentage of people who would benefit from additional scanning but … it's worth knowing that a dermatologist just checking moles won't see cancer inside you. 

I don't say this to scare you or anyone. But to say follow your instincts and talk to your doctor about your concerns. 

Best of luck to you. 

Kimberly

HopefulOne
                    Participant

Hi there,

Here is my husband's: 18 years after having melanoma cut off his shoulder, it retuned. 

He went to the dermatologist every year. But what we didn't know was that it was already lurking beneath the skin. It came back with a vegenance and he was then Stage 3C. Seven months after that, Stage 4. One thing I promised myself was to share this story so that others know to at least have the conversation with their doctor. Maybe insurance won't pay for it and maybe it's too small a percentage of people who would benefit from additional scanning but … it's worth knowing that a dermatologist just checking moles won't see cancer inside you. 

I don't say this to scare you or anyone. But to say follow your instincts and talk to your doctor about your concerns. 

Best of luck to you. 

Kimberly

HopefulOne
                      Participant

Hi there,

Best of luck to you. 

Kimberly

Janner
                      Participant

You are stage 1b if you had no ulceration, stage 2a if you had ulceration.  No scans are done (even baseline) for early stages.  Blood work is of questionable value as there are no specific melanoma markers.  Regular derm visits are what you should be doing, nothing more.  Melanoma can come back many years later, but it is the rare exception and not the norm.  There is no guarantee once you pass five to ten years but the longer you go, the better your odds.

Janner

Janner
                        Participant

Janner

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics