The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

help

Participant
      Hi

I am a stage 4 patient and have failed two treatments.I wonder whether others have been in the same position and what they did bout it

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

One person on here said to me. You only have to find that one treatment that works for. Stay strong and find that treatment. That really stuck with me.

One way to look at it is not to say you failed two treatments. You did NOT fail. The medicines failed you.

Mine was zelboraf then ipi then taf/mek. Now I'm on pd1 and finally see over a dozen tumors shrinking. Yeah some are still growing and some of those I'm having radiated. But finally a medicine that isn't failing me. It can happen you just got to hang in there.

You just have to dig deep and keep trying. I remember not having the strength to walk to the bathroom. I would have to use the wall to support me and take one small step at a time. I remember not being able to eat a bite of food. So I took half a bite and chewed and chewed and tried to swallow for 10 minutes but I got that half bite down. Then I took another half bite.

I came here and wrote down all types of treatments that are being done and working for other people. It gave me hope that something is out there I just have to make it to it.

Other people were saying how they are NED or things are working great. That gave me hope. Why not me? Yeah why not me too?

Hang in there. Keep fighting and never ever give up.

Artie

hbecker
            Participant

Artie, I love your response! Thank you!

tschmith
              Participant

I love your answer too, Artie!

You aren't alone in this battle.  I would add that hopefully you're seeing an oncologist who specializes in Melanoma.  I'm stage IV and have had treatments that didn't work including almost a month in NIH, but the fight goes on.  Artie and I are both getting infusions of Keytruda.  He's had his  first scans and knows that it's working on many of his tumors.  I get scanned on Sept 30th but I have a good feeling that it's at least partially working.  A large tumor on my shoulder blade is no longer palpable and my LDH has gone from 534 to 180.  In order to qualify for Keytruda, you first have to try Yervoy.  If Yervoy doesn't work, then you might be eligible for Keytruda (formally known as Pembrolizumab).

Best Wishes and keep up the hope!

Terrie 

tschmith
                Participant

You aren't alone in this battle.  I would add that hopefully you're seeing an oncologist who specializes in Melanoma.  I'm stage IV and have had treatments that didn't work including almost a month in NIH, but the fight goes on.  Artie and I are both getting infusions of Keytruda.  He's had his  first scans and knows that it's working on many of his tumors.  I get scanned on Sept 30th but I have a good feeling that it's at least partially working.  A large tumor on my shoulder blade is no longer palpable and my LDH has gone from 534 to 180.  In order to qualify for Keytruda, you first have to try Yervoy.  If Yervoy doesn't work, then you might be eligible for Keytruda (formally known as Pembrolizumab).

Terrie 

tschmith
                  Participant

Terrie 

hbecker
                    Participant

hbecker
                      Participant

biancopus
                        Participant

Artie, I wanted to let you know that your post really provided me with some hope for my husband who is Stage IV Metastatic Melanoma currently on Tafinlar (he was on both Tafinlar and Mekinst, but had to stop Mekinst due to pneumonia-like symptoms). He may end up being treated with Keytruda in the future. I'm very grateful that new drugs are being developed and approved all the time and hold out hope that he will have success. Thank you for your positivity!

Biancopus (Eve)

biancopus
                          Participant

Artie, I wanted to let you know that your post really provided me with some hope for my husband who is Stage IV Metastatic Melanoma currently on Tafinlar (he was on both Tafinlar and Mekinst, but had to stop Mekinst due to pneumonia-like symptoms). He may end up being treated with Keytruda in the future. I'm very grateful that new drugs are being developed and approved all the time and hold out hope that he will have success. Thank you for your positivity!

Biancopus (Eve)

biancopus
                            Participant

Biancopus (Eve)

arthurjedi007
                            Participant

One person on here said to me. You only have to find that one treatment that works for. Stay strong and find that treatment. That really stuck with me.

One way to look at it is not to say you failed two treatments. You did NOT fail. The medicines failed you.

Mine was zelboraf then ipi then taf/mek. Now I'm on pd1 and finally see over a dozen tumors shrinking. Yeah some are still growing and some of those I'm having radiated. But finally a medicine that isn't failing me. It can happen you just got to hang in there.

You just have to dig deep and keep trying. I remember not having the strength to walk to the bathroom. I would have to use the wall to support me and take one small step at a time. I remember not being able to eat a bite of food. So I took half a bite and chewed and chewed and tried to swallow for 10 minutes but I got that half bite down. Then I took another half bite.

I came here and wrote down all types of treatments that are being done and working for other people. It gave me hope that something is out there I just have to make it to it.

Other people were saying how they are NED or things are working great. That gave me hope. Why not me? Yeah why not me too?

Artie

arthurjedi007
                              Participant

Artie

Viewing 2 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics