The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hello Everyone!! Haven’t been here since 2003

Forums General Melanoma Community Hello Everyone!! Haven’t been here since 2003

Participant

Hello Everyone, Came here n 2003, with Mel. wide Etc clear margins. Today Iam back because mel. is back running in my body like crazy.(Just found out Friday) not going back to Emory, just went to a local Cancer Dr here in Columbus Ga,and this man is really on the ball. Get PET scan, & 2 blood works done Monday, to see if I can do a trail In  Bethesda , Maryland. For the first time since this all began, I finally feel like someone is paying attention.I do have some new questions- Like NCI in Bethesda is it any good?

Hello Everyone, Came here n 2003, with Mel. wide Etc clear margins. Today Iam back because mel. is back running in my body like crazy.(Just found out Friday) not going back to Emory, just went to a local Cancer Dr here in Columbus Ga,and this man is really on the ball. Get PET scan, & 2 blood works done Monday, to see if I can do a trail In  Bethesda , Maryland. For the first time since this all began, I finally feel like someone is paying attention.I do have some new questions- Like NCI in Bethesda is it any good? Kinda scared of the pet scan. should I be trying to go to MD Anderson?Just any info would really help. If any of u use to be around here in 2003 I went by the name memega. Thanks everyone.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        JoanR
        Participant

I was anxious to open your post, but was not expecting your news. Sounds as though you have  a good onc and they have reponsing quickly. Please keep in touch and know your "old" MPIP friends as well as the new ones are here for you.

JoanR
          Participant

I was anxious to open your post, but was not expecting your news. Sounds as though you have  a good onc and they have reponsing quickly. Please keep in touch and know your "old" MPIP friends as well as the new ones are here for you.

Linda/Kentucky
            Participant

So sorry to hear you come back here for this reason.  I don't know anything much about Bethesda except my husand and I talked about going there when he was first diagnosed.  We chose Vanderbilt because it was closer.  Not sure if at some point we may go there??  I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.  Keep us posted and welcome back wish it was under different circumstances.

Linda/Kentucky

Linda/Kentucky
              Participant

So sorry to hear you come back here for this reason.  I don't know anything much about Bethesda except my husand and I talked about going there when he was first diagnosed.  We chose Vanderbilt because it was closer.  Not sure if at some point we may go there??  I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.  Keep us posted and welcome back wish it was under different circumstances.

Linda/Kentucky

Tim–MRF

NIH has an excellent program for patients and families, but they don't have all the trials that are currently available.  Their big claim to fame is the TIL study.  It has rigorous exclusion criteria, and a lot of people get kicked out of the study before it is completed.  If you can make it all the way through, though, the results are very strong.

The biggest thing is to go to a place that sees a lot of melanoma and has access to the best trials and studies.  M. D. Anderson is in this category.  Jeff Sosman at Vanderbilt is very much on top of his game.  Moffit, Sloan-Kettering, Penn, Dana Farber–the usual suspects. 

If you come to Bethesday give me a shout.  I am in DC and NIH is just a few stops up on the Metro.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

NIH has an excellent program for patients and families, but they don't have all the trials that are currently available.  Their big claim to fame is the TIL study.  It has rigorous exclusion criteria, and a lot of people get kicked out of the study before it is completed.  If you can make it all the way through, though, the results are very strong.

The biggest thing is to go to a place that sees a lot of melanoma and has access to the best trials and studies.  M. D. Anderson is in this category.  Jeff Sosman at Vanderbilt is very much on top of his game.  Moffit, Sloan-Kettering, Penn, Dana Farber–the usual suspects. 

If you come to Bethesday give me a shout.  I am in DC and NIH is just a few stops up on the Metro.

Tim–MRF

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics