The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Heavy Foot after ILP

Forums General Melanoma Community Heavy Foot after ILP

Participant

Just wondering how long…. it will be before the feeling in my foot returns… feels like my foot is in a brick

toenails look like they may fall off.. Not  one of 5 docs explained this to me just what the healing process would be… 

I know everones healing process is different… But come'on … was told the nerves re-route about 1mm a month .. 

Just wondering how long…. it will be before the feeling in my foot returns… feels like my foot is in a brick

toenails look like they may fall off.. Not  one of 5 docs explained this to me just what the healing process would be… 

I know everones healing process is different… But come'on … was told the nerves re-route about 1mm a month .. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gene_S
        Participant

Hi,

I don't know anything about your problem but I was told from my dentist after some oral surgery that taking 2000 of Vitamin C with 2000 of Vitamin B12 a day  helps with nerve regrowth and speed up the healing process.  I had no sense of smell as it affected the the olfactory nerve and this vitamin regiment helped me regain my sense in a shorter period of time.  Hope this helps.

Judy (loving wife and caregiver of Gene Stage IV)

Gene_S
          Participant

Hi,

I don't know anything about your problem but I was told from my dentist after some oral surgery that taking 2000 of Vitamin C with 2000 of Vitamin B12 a day  helps with nerve regrowth and speed up the healing process.  I had no sense of smell as it affected the the olfactory nerve and this vitamin regiment helped me regain my sense in a shorter period of time.  Hope this helps.

Gene_S
            Participant

Hi,

Camp Host
                Participant

Thank you Judy for the suggestion… I will add more C and B12 to my regiment… 

Judy, Best wishes for the new Year 

Gene_S
                  Participant

You are quite welcome.  I hope someone has an idea of an answer for your question.

Best wishes for the New Year to you and your family as well.

Judy

Vermont_Donna
                    Participant

Hi,

I have written to you before about my experience with the ILP. I too have neuropathy after my ILP….. in my right foot, and parts of my leg below my knee, mostly from the ILP but also because I am type 2 diabetic. My foot and leg feel kind of "wooden" and I have to wear shoes that tie now as slip ons fall off, etc as I cant feel the shoe on my foot. I also have leg lymphadema, and wear a compression stocking. 

I saw a neurologist recently who did nerve conduction studies on my leg and foot (this is two years post ILP), and he reccomended blood tests for several B vitamins, including B6 and B 12, I dont remember the other one. I had blood drawn but those somehow didnt get drawn at my last oncology checkup so I will do them at my next oncology checkup (I have a port). He said that sometimes those B vitamins can help. My neuropathy is probably NOT going to get better. its just something I live with. i dont think that the doctors know who will have these kinds of side effects but I certainly was told that neuropathy was a side effect that could happen and my symptoms started 20 days after my ILP procedure.  I was hospitalized one month after my ILP for 5 days due to severe neuropathic pain in my foot and a cellulitis infection in my leg. 

I am sorry that you are having such bothersome symptoms.Perhaps your oncologist can refer you to a neurologist if you havent already seen one. Also have some Vitamin B levels done once you find out which ones are importnat to test for.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Vermont_Donna
                      Participant

Hi,

I have written to you before about my experience with the ILP. I too have neuropathy after my ILP….. in my right foot, and parts of my leg below my knee, mostly from the ILP but also because I am type 2 diabetic. My foot and leg feel kind of "wooden" and I have to wear shoes that tie now as slip ons fall off, etc as I cant feel the shoe on my foot. I also have leg lymphadema, and wear a compression stocking. 

I saw a neurologist recently who did nerve conduction studies on my leg and foot (this is two years post ILP), and he reccomended blood tests for several B vitamins, including B6 and B 12, I dont remember the other one. I had blood drawn but those somehow didnt get drawn at my last oncology checkup so I will do them at my next oncology checkup (I have a port). He said that sometimes those B vitamins can help. My neuropathy is probably NOT going to get better. its just something I live with. i dont think that the doctors know who will have these kinds of side effects but I certainly was told that neuropathy was a side effect that could happen and my symptoms started 20 days after my ILP procedure.  I was hospitalized one month after my ILP for 5 days due to severe neuropathic pain in my foot and a cellulitis infection in my leg. 

I am sorry that you are having such bothersome symptoms.Perhaps your oncologist can refer you to a neurologist if you havent already seen one. Also have some Vitamin B levels done once you find out which ones are importnat to test for.

Vermont_Donna
                        Participant

Hi,

Camp Host
                          Participant

Thank you Donna, as always your info is so very helpful… I will ask my Oncologist about the neurologist..

Again Thank You ..Have a wonderful Day !! 

Camp Host Janet 

Camp Host
                            Participant

Thank you Donna, as always your info is so very helpful… I will ask my Oncologist about the neurologist..

Camp Host Janet 

Camp Host
                              Participant

Camp Host Janet 

Gene_S
                                Participant

You are quite welcome.  I hope someone has an idea of an answer for your question.

Judy

Gene_S
                                  Participant

Judy

Camp Host
                                    Participant

Camp Host
                                      Participant

Ashykay
                                      Participant
                                        Hi there

My Mum is on Yervoy, and after a few transfusions she started complaining of numbness in her left foot. This was scary as mum has melanoma on her sacrum which has led to pain/loss of feeling in her right leg similar to a paraplegic. However, when I looked ups some of the side effects of Yervoy, numbness is common.

I hope that she does regain some feeling in her left leg – everyone’s tips here are encouraging – thanks all.

Ashley

Ashykay
                                        Participant
                                          Hi there

My Mum is on Yervoy, and after a few transfusions she started complaining of numbness in her left foot. This was scary as mum has melanoma on her sacrum which has led to pain/loss of feeling in her right leg similar to a paraplegic. However, when I looked ups some of the side effects of Yervoy, numbness is common.

I hope that she does regain some feeling in her left leg – everyone’s tips here are encouraging – thanks all.

Ashley

boot2aboot
                                            Participant

thanks…i have hand and foot neuropathy and will up my c and bs…no sugar vitamin water is good…i also crush my cs and bs in a morter and pestle and stick it in my yogurt cause my stomach hurts…

boots

boot2aboot
                                              Participant

thanks…i have hand and foot neuropathy and will up my c and bs…no sugar vitamin water is good…i also crush my cs and bs in a morter and pestle and stick it in my yogurt cause my stomach hurts…

boots

boot2aboot
                                                Participant

boots

Ashykay
                                                Participant
                                                  Hi there

Ashley

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics