The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

He was just a dog.

Forums General Melanoma Community He was just a dog.

Participant

RIP Trout the dog, 7/14/1998-10/5/2011 (the guy on top had him since 2nd year in vet school.)

Just a Dog

RIP Trout the dog, 7/14/1998-10/5/2011 (the guy on top had him since 2nd year in vet school.)

Just a Dog

You were just a dog. But a good dog. Right from the start. Your loyalty was never in question. And what you didn't know, you didn't know because I never took the time to teach you.

When you were young I was harder on you. I expected you to understand the basics…and you learned them. A "bad dog" was like a whip on your back.

But when uncontrollable instinct got you in trouble, I didn't hold it against you. I doctored you up, changed your bed and remembered that reason gets left behind in the heat of passion. Be it skunks, gyps or cloven hooves.

You were patient with the young, pups or kids. They pulled your hair, barked around you in circles and rode on your back. I never had to worry. They were safe with you.

You suffered the indignities of veterinary examinations, injections, probings and overnight incarcerations, refusing always to lift you leg under anyone's roof.

You posed for pictures, rode on loads like an acrobat and endured spring clippings yet never lost your dignity.

A fierce guardian of your territory, you did your best to protect us. I knew better than to shout you down at two in the morning. I always figured you were barking for a purpose.

Old age was not unkind to you. Despite the hearing loss, cataracts and stiff joints, you carried on. Sure, I had to help you in the pickup, but you were part of the crew. I noticed you ate less, slept later and turned gray but you never lost your enthusiasm for being part of our outfit.

People debate if dogs have a heaven. I'm not sure that matters. What is heaven to a dog? Enough to eat, something to chase, shade in the summer, someone to scratch your ears and pay you a little attention now and then.

All I know is you added to our life. Companion, listener, guardian and connection to a part of nature we tend to overlook because we're too busy worrying about the minutiae of life.

You reminded us to appreciate a sunny day, a bone to chew and a kind word. You'll be missed around here.

You were just a dog. But you'll be in my heaven. Rest in peace, old friend.

by Baxter Black

Reprinted from The Edge of Common Sense with permission of the author Baxter Black, a retired veterinarian and a cowboy poet.

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        LV
        Participant

Aw, sorry, John.

LV
          Participant

Aw, sorry, John.

LV
            Participant

Aw, sorry, John.

akls
              Participant

So sorry John. 

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                Participant

So sorry John. 

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                  Participant

So sorry John. 

Amy S. in Michigan

yoop
                    Participant

Sorry John,

Trout the Dog sure sounded like one of the best.

yoop

yoop
                      Participant

Sorry John,

yoop

yoop
                        Participant

Sorry John,

yoop

Bonnie Lea
                            Participant

Oh John, I am so sorry to hear about Trout.  his grey chin gave him that – don't bug me you spaniels you.  But ya I am sorry.  At least he had you two as his 'mom and daad' and who better than live with our own doctors.   (no trips to emerg vets)  but tis hard on you and Merry and the little ones sure won't understand.

Take care

Bonnie

Bonnie Lea
                              Participant

Oh John, I am so sorry to hear about Trout.  his grey chin gave him that – don't bug me you spaniels you.  But ya I am sorry.  At least he had you two as his 'mom and daad' and who better than live with our own doctors.   (no trips to emerg vets)  but tis hard on you and Merry and the little ones sure won't understand.

Take care

Bonnie

Bonnie Lea
                                Participant

Take care

Bonnie

Janner
                                Participant

No such thing as "just a dog" – at least in my book.  RIP Trout. 

Janner

Janner
                                  Participant

Janner

Janner
                                    Participant

Janner

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                      Participant

John,

our condolences to you and family for your loss.

Jerry and Monty

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                        Participant

John,

Jerry and Monty

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                          Participant

John,

Jerry and Monty

Gale
                                            Participant

That tribute brought a tear to my eye. I'm so sorry for your loss John. RIP Trout.

Gale
                                              Participant

That tribute brought a tear to my eye. I'm so sorry for your loss John. RIP Trout.

Gale
                                                Participant

Kimmer
                                                  Participant

it does defy common sense to love so much.

the words above by the cowboy poet gave me great comfort when you sent them for our AbbeyDog's passing.  I do so hope they do the same for you, John.  you know that good thoughts are coming your way.

I would like to think that Trout and Abbey are leaving silver pawprints all over our Heavens right now.

take good care, k.

ps we drove from Orlando to Atlanta last week and adopted another lovely lemon senior beagle from the Atlanta Beagle Rescue.  Hubs took me just 'cos I saw her picture on the website…he is a real good guy.  our CappiDog is helping me to heal and EmmaDog has a new friend.

Kimmer
                                                    Participant

the words above by the cowboy poet gave me great comfort when you sent them for our AbbeyDog's passing.  I do so hope they do the same for you, John.  you know that good thoughts are coming your way.

I would like to think that Trout and Abbey are leaving silver pawprints all over our Heavens right now.

take good care, k.

ps we drove from Orlando to Atlanta last week and adopted another lovely lemon senior beagle from the Atlanta Beagle Rescue.  Hubs took me just 'cos I saw her picture on the website…he is a real good guy.  our CappiDog is helping me to heal and EmmaDog has a new friend.

Kimmer
                                                      Participant

take good care, k.

MarieM
                                                        Participant

I'm so sorry John. He was lucky to have your family.

Marie

MarieM
                                                          Participant

Marie

MarieM
                                                            Participant

Marie

KyCyn
                                                              Participant

So sorry, John… pets are so very special…

KyCyn
                                                                Participant

KyCyn
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics