The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Having my baby on Monday, just diagnosed stage 3A…WORRIED :(

Forums General Melanoma Community Having my baby on Monday, just diagnosed stage 3A…WORRIED :(

Participant

Hello all,

I will try to sum it all up quickly…I was diagnosed stage 1b in January. Had a WLE, and SLNB done at the end of January. Was told all was good with surgery, frozen sections were clear! But…2 days later, I got a call that they found some rare single and small groups of melanoma cells in one of 2 sentinel nodes taken. WHAT a kick in the gut. So…I am being induced on Monday (3/10/14) at 37 weeks, so that I can take the next steps with the melanoma. I have to have PET/CT scans done on the 21st of the month. I am TERRIFIED of this. I want to be happy and excited about my daughter's birth, but I feel so overshadowed by this melanoma. I also know that while rare, melanoma can possibly pass to the fetus. I have been told by my oncologist that he is not concerned about it passing to her, given the very small amount found in the sentinel node (greatest focus 0.3). But I also know that melanoma is tricky. I guess I'm looking or someone who has been in my situation who can offer me a bit of relief! Of course I am worried about my health, but right now, I just want my daughter to be ok. Thank you all so much for reading…

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Yes, melanoma can pass through the placenta.  HOWEVER, in a retrospective study compiling data over a 20 year time span using every available piece of information/studies, this happened less than 10 times (exact number escapes me).  And when it did happen, I believe all were advanced stage IV mothers.  So while it is concerning (as everything is concerning when you have a new child), your doctor's statement is really not just a placation – I'm sure it's a fact.  Yes, you can have the placenta tested.  But I wouldn't spend much time worrying about THAT particular problem.  Your daughter should be fine. You get to worry about you instead after the birth.  Sorry you're dealing with this, but try not to add additional problems that really aren't an issue for your situation.  And just take all of this one step at a time…  CONGRATULATIONS on your little girl!

Best wishes,

Janner

gaby
            Participant

Hi Kelly I'm so sorry for what you are going through. You should take a deep breath. Your situation is similar to that of my husband two years ago.

My husband was diagnosed in 2012 stage3a (Breslow 2.3 mole on ankle)  melanoma , because he had micrometastasis in the sentinel node , the rest (12)  were clean. He had in 2012, 38 years old. He started in October 2012 with high doses of pegylated interferon for two months and after that continuous average dose to date. He has TAC  every  6 months.  In the last tac the oncologic saw enlarged lymph so he  decided to do PET, and unfortunately is likely to return (melanoma) in some  lymph but this does not always happen. Please be positive stage 3A has a good prognosis with periodic checks and these last year’s many new drugs were discovered did not exist before.

Surely you would now extirpated other lymph to see if they have melanoma. The Pet or CT is also very important. Everything is to know where to get cancer and to make a plan of action.

Regarding your baby is not nothing about whether the melanoma is capable of being transferred, but if I read that melanoma may be formed by the hormonal changes in pregnancy ….

Although we could not have children after several years of trying in the same month as my husband  (he 38 years old , I 32 yers old) was diagnosed with melanoma also discovered him in CT a kidney cancer  and found out he was infertile, so they are living with melanoma and with fertility treatments. It's hard but we try to live a "normal"life.

It is normal that you feel fear, I also feel fear and at times I feel I can not live, but here in the forum there are very good people that will provide support and information.

you can ask all the questions you want.

Regards

Gaby (from Argentina)

gaby
              Participant

Hi Kelly I'm so sorry for what you are going through. You should take a deep breath. Your situation is similar to that of my husband two years ago.

My husband was diagnosed in 2012 stage3a (Breslow 2.3 mole on ankle)  melanoma , because he had micrometastasis in the sentinel node , the rest (12)  were clean. He had in 2012, 38 years old. He started in October 2012 with high doses of pegylated interferon for two months and after that continuous average dose to date. He has TAC  every  6 months.  In the last tac the oncologic saw enlarged lymph so he  decided to do PET, and unfortunately is likely to return (melanoma) in some  lymph but this does not always happen. Please be positive stage 3A has a good prognosis with periodic checks and these last year’s many new drugs were discovered did not exist before.

Surely you would now extirpated other lymph to see if they have melanoma. The Pet or CT is also very important. Everything is to know where to get cancer and to make a plan of action.

Regarding your baby is not nothing about whether the melanoma is capable of being transferred, but if I read that melanoma may be formed by the hormonal changes in pregnancy ….

Although we could not have children after several years of trying in the same month as my husband  (he 38 years old , I 32 yers old) was diagnosed with melanoma also discovered him in CT a kidney cancer  and found out he was infertile, so they are living with melanoma and with fertility treatments. It's hard but we try to live a "normal"life.

It is normal that you feel fear, I also feel fear and at times I feel I can not live, but here in the forum there are very good people that will provide support and information.

Regards

Gaby (from Argentina)

gaby
                Participant

Regards

Gaby (from Argentina)

Kelly Smith
                  Participant

Thank you Janner. I think I will feel better seeing her, and KNOWING that she is fine. I guess since I have had a LOT of surprises this pregnancy, I tend to be a Negative Nancy. I need to change that.

Kelly Smith
                    Participant

Thanks Gaby. I do feel an ENORMOUS amount of fear. But I know that a lot of this is out of my control, and I just need to accept that. I am glad that your husband is doing well, and I am sorry that you both have to go through this too 🙁 It's true when they say that life isn't fair. But we must keep going…I'll try to be positive if you will. Hugs.

Kelly Smith
                      Participant

Thanks Gaby. I do feel an ENORMOUS amount of fear. But I know that a lot of this is out of my control, and I just need to accept that. I am glad that your husband is doing well, and I am sorry that you both have to go through this too 🙁 It's true when they say that life isn't fair. But we must keep going…I'll try to be positive if you will. Hugs.

Kelly Smith
                        Participant

Kelly Smith
                          Participant

Thank you Janner. I think I will feel better seeing her, and KNOWING that she is fine. I guess since I have had a LOT of surprises this pregnancy, I tend to be a Negative Nancy. I need to change that.

Kelly Smith
                            Participant

Janner
                            Participant

Yes, melanoma can pass through the placenta.  HOWEVER, in a retrospective study compiling data over a 20 year time span using every available piece of information/studies, this happened less than 10 times (exact number escapes me).  And when it did happen, I believe all were advanced stage IV mothers.  So while it is concerning (as everything is concerning when you have a new child), your doctor's statement is really not just a placation – I'm sure it's a fact.  Yes, you can have the placenta tested.  But I wouldn't spend much time worrying about THAT particular problem.  Your daughter should be fine. You get to worry about you instead after the birth.  Sorry you're dealing with this, but try not to add additional problems that really aren't an issue for your situation.  And just take all of this one step at a time…  CONGRATULATIONS on your little girl!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                              Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

washoegal
                                Participant

Oh dear, I am so sorry!  This should be such a happy time.  I hope you have a strong group of family and friends to help as you go through this.  I don't know much about the stats of melanoma passing through the placenta, maybe someone else can help but as you said: it is "rare". 

As far as YOU go I can offer this to you, I am stage 3a.  I have been so since March 2010.  I had a complete lymph node dissection and then chose to "wait and watch".  SO far so good!  I truly believe that I have beaten this thing.  Take care of yourself, and watch you baby but try not to overly stress yourself or the baby.  It will take time but hopefully you have a long, long time to reconcile with this.

Mary

washoegal
                                  Participant

Oh dear, I am so sorry!  This should be such a happy time.  I hope you have a strong group of family and friends to help as you go through this.  I don't know much about the stats of melanoma passing through the placenta, maybe someone else can help but as you said: it is "rare". 

As far as YOU go I can offer this to you, I am stage 3a.  I have been so since March 2010.  I had a complete lymph node dissection and then chose to "wait and watch".  SO far so good!  I truly believe that I have beaten this thing.  Take care of yourself, and watch you baby but try not to overly stress yourself or the baby.  It will take time but hopefully you have a long, long time to reconcile with this.

Mary

Kelly Smith
                                      Participant

Hi Mary

I actually don't have any family in this state…so that's been very difficult. But, my mother in law will be here tomorrow from NY, so she will help any way that she can. I have 2 little boys as well, ages 3 and 7. Honestly, I am just so busy with them that I haven't really had time to have a complete break down. Which is good. I do have moments where I REALLY panic, and cry for a long time. But I get myself together and keep going with a smile (kind of) for them. This whole unkown is terrible. Since I found out while pregnant, they can't do anything, so I feel like a ticking time bomb. Even though I have been assured by my doctors that I am not PHYSICALLY a ticking time bomb, mentally, well, that's a different story. I am so happy that you are doing well, and stories like yours give me hope. Thank you!

Kelly Smith
                                        Participant

Hi Mary

I actually don't have any family in this state…so that's been very difficult. But, my mother in law will be here tomorrow from NY, so she will help any way that she can. I have 2 little boys as well, ages 3 and 7. Honestly, I am just so busy with them that I haven't really had time to have a complete break down. Which is good. I do have moments where I REALLY panic, and cry for a long time. But I get myself together and keep going with a smile (kind of) for them. This whole unkown is terrible. Since I found out while pregnant, they can't do anything, so I feel like a ticking time bomb. Even though I have been assured by my doctors that I am not PHYSICALLY a ticking time bomb, mentally, well, that's a different story. I am so happy that you are doing well, and stories like yours give me hope. Thank you!

sofistef
                                          Participant

Hi Kelly,

Sorry that you had to join the melanoma group, my melanoma also started while pregnant, I was misdiagnosed for 2 years the derm told me that there was just normal pregnancy skin changes:((…At diagnosis I had 1 micromet of 0.45mm in sentinel node with the rest of them negative. I went thru interferon with no regrets. In my case, the monster is back, but the majority of stage 3a people have better luck, so there is good chanse you will not hear melanoma word ever again! Find a good oncologist that is familiar with melanoma to monitor you! I was lucky to find the recurrence early and hopefully I will see NED on my scans soon! Congats for the pregnancy and good luck!

Dana

sofistef
                                            Participant

Hi Kelly,

Sorry that you had to join the melanoma group, my melanoma also started while pregnant, I was misdiagnosed for 2 years the derm told me that there was just normal pregnancy skin changes:((…At diagnosis I had 1 micromet of 0.45mm in sentinel node with the rest of them negative. I went thru interferon with no regrets. In my case, the monster is back, but the majority of stage 3a people have better luck, so there is good chanse you will not hear melanoma word ever again! Find a good oncologist that is familiar with melanoma to monitor you! I was lucky to find the recurrence early and hopefully I will see NED on my scans soon! Congats for the pregnancy and good luck!

Dana

sofistef
                                              Participant

Hi Kelly,

Dana

Kelly Smith
                                                Participant

Hi Dana,

Thanks for responding to me. So you were diagnosed after your baby was born? I am sorry to hear that this a** hole has come back and bothered you again. I really hope that your nexr scans are clear as well. I have an appt. with Dr. Poklopovic at UVA on the 18th of this month, and he is a melanoma specialist. Right now, I have only had a consult with a general oncologist. I am worried, but I know that all of the worrying won't change anything. 

Kelly Smith
                                                  Participant

Hi Dana,

Thanks for responding to me. So you were diagnosed after your baby was born? I am sorry to hear that this a** hole has come back and bothered you again. I really hope that your nexr scans are clear as well. I have an appt. with Dr. Poklopovic at UVA on the 18th of this month, and he is a melanoma specialist. Right now, I have only had a consult with a general oncologist. I am worried, but I know that all of the worrying won't change anything. 

sofistef
                                                    Participant

I had the mole looked at while pregnant and they told me there were "normal" pregnancy skin changes, then when my daughter was 1 I went again to the derm concerned about it , I was sent home with a prescription for Elidel for eczema, and told to come back when I decide not to have have any more babies to remove some skin tags, the mole kept changing so I went back when she was 2 and have the mole removed, at that time it was 1.5mm melanoma, nonulcerated with a mitotic rate of 2 :(((I changed the doctor and learned my lesson in a hard way!! UVA is a good place to go, you should be in good hands! Try to relax and enjoy the big moment when your daughter is born! I know is easy to say, I was and still am in panic mode! Good luck!!

Prayers

Dana

sofistef
                                                      Participant

I had the mole looked at while pregnant and they told me there were "normal" pregnancy skin changes, then when my daughter was 1 I went again to the derm concerned about it , I was sent home with a prescription for Elidel for eczema, and told to come back when I decide not to have have any more babies to remove some skin tags, the mole kept changing so I went back when she was 2 and have the mole removed, at that time it was 1.5mm melanoma, nonulcerated with a mitotic rate of 2 :(((I changed the doctor and learned my lesson in a hard way!! UVA is a good place to go, you should be in good hands! Try to relax and enjoy the big moment when your daughter is born! I know is easy to say, I was and still am in panic mode! Good luck!!

Prayers

Dana

sofistef
                                                        Participant

Prayers

Dana

Kelly Smith
                                                          Participant

Hi Dana,

Kelly Smith
                                                            Participant

Hi Mary

washoegal
                                                            Participant

Mary

jtheisen29
                                                              Participant

Hi Kelly am so sorry you are going through this! My twin sister was diagnosed with stage 3b while 5 months pregnant. She was induced a month early to receive scans and start treatment. She gave birth to a healthy boy who just turned 4 years old in January! This coming up sept she will be going on 5 years of having no evidence of disease! If you want I can give you my email and then put you in contact with her, even just emailing back and forth. I know it is a scary time but know that there is hope:) My email is [email protected] if you are on Facebook you can find her her name is Sara McEvilly from Wisconsin. Prayers for you and the baby! 

Take care, 

Jessica

jtheisen29
                                                                Participant

Hi Kelly am so sorry you are going through this! My twin sister was diagnosed with stage 3b while 5 months pregnant. She was induced a month early to receive scans and start treatment. She gave birth to a healthy boy who just turned 4 years old in January! This coming up sept she will be going on 5 years of having no evidence of disease! If you want I can give you my email and then put you in contact with her, even just emailing back and forth. I know it is a scary time but know that there is hope:) My email is [email protected] if you are on Facebook you can find her her name is Sara McEvilly from Wisconsin. Prayers for you and the baby! 

Take care, 

Jessica

jtheisen29
                                                                  Participant

Take care, 

Jessica

Owl
                                                                    Participant

Dear Kelly,

I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. I am sure your girl will be ok. Our daughter was 6 weeks when my husband got first diagnosed. I know how wrong such a diagnosis feels in this moment, it is the time of new life. Try to concentrate on your little girl and your family, it really helps. I hope they caught it early enough and you will be fine after the surgery. My experience is, the fright will be easier to handle after a while, trust on that. And, if not done yet, please find a melanoma specialist in your area.

All the best to you and your family, Jenny

Owl
                                                                      Participant

Dear Kelly,

I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. I am sure your girl will be ok. Our daughter was 6 weeks when my husband got first diagnosed. I know how wrong such a diagnosis feels in this moment, it is the time of new life. Try to concentrate on your little girl and your family, it really helps. I hope they caught it early enough and you will be fine after the surgery. My experience is, the fright will be easier to handle after a while, trust on that. And, if not done yet, please find a melanoma specialist in your area.

Cooper
                                                                          Participant

I think that is an emotionally charged time and perhaps an over reaction to the facts.  I would first have a second opinion on the pathology.  That is odd how there was this delayed pathology report.  There is no need to induce labor or do scans at this time.  Your lymph system did its job and a micro met doesn't mean you have spread.  The placenta btw, is a perfect barrier that rarely lets anything through, but again a micromet in a lymph node doesn't mean disease elsewhere.  You need to quickly switch to a melanoma expert where they will be more relaxed and knowledgeable.  Also, there is only ONE sentinel node so how could they talk about two?  Go to Sloan Kettering if you can and save yourself a lot of grief that this current group is creating.  I hope you will take a deep breath and try to get to the best expert.  

Cooper
                                                                            Participant

I think that is an emotionally charged time and perhaps an over reaction to the facts.  I would first have a second opinion on the pathology.  That is odd how there was this delayed pathology report.  There is no need to induce labor or do scans at this time.  Your lymph system did its job and a micro met doesn't mean you have spread.  The placenta btw, is a perfect barrier that rarely lets anything through, but again a micromet in a lymph node doesn't mean disease elsewhere.  You need to quickly switch to a melanoma expert where they will be more relaxed and knowledgeable.  Also, there is only ONE sentinel node so how could they talk about two?  Go to Sloan Kettering if you can and save yourself a lot of grief that this current group is creating.  I hope you will take a deep breath and try to get to the best expert.  

Cooper
                                                                              Participant

This happened to me. I was pregnant and the doctors were in a panic about the baby etc.  I ended up at UPENN where they were relaxed and assured me no chance of the baby getting the melanoma and to take a natural course of delivery and breast feed etc.  Get to a melanoma center.  PS baby and I are normal and find years later.

Cooper
                                                                                Participant

This happened to me. I was pregnant and the doctors were in a panic about the baby etc.  I ended up at UPENN where they were relaxed and assured me no chance of the baby getting the melanoma and to take a natural course of delivery and breast feed etc.  Get to a melanoma center.  PS baby and I are normal and find years later.

Cooper
                                                                                  Participant

Kelly Smith
                                                                                    Participant

I have notices that my OB/GYN doctors are EXTREMELY worried about this, while my oncologist is very relaxed, and doesn't seem too worried about it. He says everything is fine to wait until she is born, but my other doctors are treating me like I am some kind of ticking time bomb. About the 2 sentinel nodes…I was also confused about that. My surgeon said that 4 nodes "lit up" during the lyphacintigraphy (I don't know if that's spelled right), but only 2 were concerning when he went in to do the SLNB. So he pulled those 2. One had micromets, upon further testing. He actually came into my recovery room and told me everything was clear…all of this is confusing to me. I will be at UVA on March 19th, so I am hoping to get some better answers then. I also need to let you all know that the FIRST path report fromt he original biopy of the "spot" was atypical spitz nevus, inflammed. My dermatologist sent it off for a second opinion to UCSF, and then came the diagnosis of melanoma/atypical spitz tumor. Still quite confusing. But since they found something in the sentinel node, my surgeon says it def. means melanoma. Again, I want to see what an expert says. I am not downplaying it in any way, but I know that this next surgery (CLND) is very major, and I want to be DOUBLE sure that it's what I need to do. Thank you all so much for responding. You have no idea how much it helps at this rough time.

Kelly Smith
                                                                                      Participant

I have notices that my OB/GYN doctors are EXTREMELY worried about this, while my oncologist is very relaxed, and doesn't seem too worried about it. He says everything is fine to wait until she is born, but my other doctors are treating me like I am some kind of ticking time bomb. About the 2 sentinel nodes…I was also confused about that. My surgeon said that 4 nodes "lit up" during the lyphacintigraphy (I don't know if that's spelled right), but only 2 were concerning when he went in to do the SLNB. So he pulled those 2. One had micromets, upon further testing. He actually came into my recovery room and told me everything was clear…all of this is confusing to me. I will be at UVA on March 19th, so I am hoping to get some better answers then. I also need to let you all know that the FIRST path report fromt he original biopy of the "spot" was atypical spitz nevus, inflammed. My dermatologist sent it off for a second opinion to UCSF, and then came the diagnosis of melanoma/atypical spitz tumor. Still quite confusing. But since they found something in the sentinel node, my surgeon says it def. means melanoma. Again, I want to see what an expert says. I am not downplaying it in any way, but I know that this next surgery (CLND) is very major, and I want to be DOUBLE sure that it's what I need to do. Thank you all so much for responding. You have no idea how much it helps at this rough time.

Owl
                                                                                        Participant

Your are doing the right thing, educating yourself and question everything that you don't understand. All these confusing information remind me so much of my husbands case. He also had two sentinel lymph nodes litting up, in both they found micro mets (much bigger than yours). But, in our first appointment in order to discuss the path report we were first told that nothing lit up….only 2 hours later in the preparing appointment with the surgent for wider excision he noticed that the lymph nodes were not clear…head physician just overread it. So, stick to everything you do not understand. I cross my fingers for you, Jenny

Owl
                                                                                          Participant

Your are doing the right thing, educating yourself and question everything that you don't understand. All these confusing information remind me so much of my husbands case. He also had two sentinel lymph nodes litting up, in both they found micro mets (much bigger than yours). But, in our first appointment in order to discuss the path report we were first told that nothing lit up….only 2 hours later in the preparing appointment with the surgent for wider excision he noticed that the lymph nodes were not clear…head physician just overread it. So, stick to everything you do not understand. I cross my fingers for you, Jenny

JC
                                                                                            Participant

When the term “light up” is being used for sentinel nodes, does that mean just that they showed up as being the sentinel nodes during the lymphoscintigraphy/mapping or does that mean they are showing as having melanoma in them?

JC
                                                                                              Participant

When the term “light up” is being used for sentinel nodes, does that mean just that they showed up as being the sentinel nodes during the lymphoscintigraphy/mapping or does that mean they are showing as having melanoma in them?

JC
                                                                                                Participant

Kelly Smith
                                                                                                  Participant

The "lighting up" of the lymph nodes, from my understanding, is only the route that the cancer cells would most likely take. They cannot tell if there is cancer in them from mapping alone. It just provides the surgeon with a most likely route. Why my surgeon only took 2 instead of the 4 that "lit up", I am not 100% sure. He said that only 2 were concerning. He is a well renowned surgical oncologist though…John Donahue from Mayo Clinic. Well, now he is in Newport News, VA, where I live. But from what I have read about him, he definitely knows what he is doing. 

Kelly Smith
                                                                                                    Participant

The "lighting up" of the lymph nodes, from my understanding, is only the route that the cancer cells would most likely take. They cannot tell if there is cancer in them from mapping alone. It just provides the surgeon with a most likely route. Why my surgeon only took 2 instead of the 4 that "lit up", I am not 100% sure. He said that only 2 were concerning. He is a well renowned surgical oncologist though…John Donahue from Mayo Clinic. Well, now he is in Newport News, VA, where I live. But from what I have read about him, he definitely knows what he is doing. 

Kelly Smith
                                                                                                      Participant

Owl
                                                                                                        Participant

Kelly Smith
                                                                                                          Participant

Cooper
                                                                                                            Participant

Owl
                                                                                                            Participant

Dear Kelly,

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                              Participant

Kelly, In my 8 years of researching melanoma, I have only seen one baby that the melanoma went to the baby.  Janner is a very good researcher and extremely knowledgable on melanoma.  i readily believe the "less than 10" she remembers.  Yes, I would be watchful (Vigilant) but not extremely worried on the babies status regarding  melanoma. 

OF course you are worried.  How can a parent not be? Or anyone else that knows anything about melanoma!  Do be vigilent on your own status.  I did not even consider Stage IV to be a death sentence when I came to it with my innumerable lung tumors in Feb 2007 (Even though a general Onc told me I would haave major breathing broplems within 30 days and that by 2006 could not expect to be around for Christmas.  Apperently I forgot how to tell time 😛  I still have them, but have got to hold, love and watch many grandkids be born and grow and now one of them has provided me a couple of grt grands to love!  (This after my GP mis-diagnosed me during my 3 1/2 years of complaning to him.)  Finally getting to UVA is why I am still alive.  i have known many people that were stage III with micromets that have had no reoccurance ten years (and more) later.

I see Dr Weiss (Deputy Director, UVA Cancer Ctr/Chief of the Division of Hemotology/Oncology)  He and Dr Craig Slingluff (one of the top Oncological Surgeons in the USA) and their staffs are both great Melanoma specialists and also wonderful PEOPLE.

Is Dr. Poklopovic at the UVA Cancer Center in Charlottesville?  i tried to Google him and the only Oncologist with a similiar name came up at VCU. (http://health.usnews.com/doctors/andrew-poklepovic-625015)?  Not sure if I have found the correct person or not.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                Participant

Kelly, In my 8 years of researching melanoma, I have only seen one baby that the melanoma went to the baby.  Janner is a very good researcher and extremely knowledgable on melanoma.  i readily believe the "less than 10" she remembers.  Yes, I would be watchful (Vigilant) but not extremely worried on the babies status regarding  melanoma. 

OF course you are worried.  How can a parent not be? Or anyone else that knows anything about melanoma!  Do be vigilent on your own status.  I did not even consider Stage IV to be a death sentence when I came to it with my innumerable lung tumors in Feb 2007 (Even though a general Onc told me I would haave major breathing broplems within 30 days and that by 2006 could not expect to be around for Christmas.  Apperently I forgot how to tell time 😛  I still have them, but have got to hold, love and watch many grandkids be born and grow and now one of them has provided me a couple of grt grands to love!  (This after my GP mis-diagnosed me during my 3 1/2 years of complaning to him.)  Finally getting to UVA is why I am still alive.  i have known many people that were stage III with micromets that have had no reoccurance ten years (and more) later.

I see Dr Weiss (Deputy Director, UVA Cancer Ctr/Chief of the Division of Hemotology/Oncology)  He and Dr Craig Slingluff (one of the top Oncological Surgeons in the USA) and their staffs are both great Melanoma specialists and also wonderful PEOPLE.

Is Dr. Poklopovic at the UVA Cancer Center in Charlottesville?  i tried to Google him and the only Oncologist with a similiar name came up at VCU. (http://health.usnews.com/doctors/andrew-poklepovic-625015)?  Not sure if I have found the correct person or not.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                  Participant

Kelly Smith
                                                                                                                      Participant

Hello Jerry,

Yes, I am seeing Dr. Poklepovic at VCU, in Richmond. I have my first appt. with him on March 19th. I may have said UVA by mistake. Thank you for responding. This is just all really hard. I have read a lot of your posts, and they are inspiring. 

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                        Participant

Darn, if it was UVA on the 19th i might get to see the new little one!  That's the date I get my next CT scan and see Dr Weiss.  Good luck.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                          Participant

Darn, if it was UVA on the 19th i might get to see the new little one!  That's the date I get my next CT scan and see Dr Weiss.  Good luck.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                            Participant

Kelly Smith
                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                Well she should be here by the 19th, but it’s VCU. Good luck with everything. I’ll be thinking about you.
                                                                                                                                Kelly Smith
                                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                                  Well she should be here by the 19th, but it’s VCU. Good luck with everything. I’ll be thinking about you.
                                                                                                                                  Kelly Smith
                                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                                    Kelly Smith
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Hello Jerry,

Yes, I am seeing Dr. Poklepovic at VCU, in Richmond. I have my first appt. with him on March 19th. I may have said UVA by mistake. Thank you for responding. This is just all really hard. I have read a lot of your posts, and they are inspiring. 

Kelly Smith
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Hello Jerry,

casagrayson
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Will be thinking of you tomorrow, Kelly!

Kelly Smith
                                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                                            Oh…I forgot to say that induction has been pushed to the 13th. Lungs still have a little bit to go to mature…but thank you! !
                                                                                                                                            Kelly Smith
                                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                                              Oh…I forgot to say that induction has been pushed to the 13th. Lungs still have a little bit to go to mature…but thank you! !
                                                                                                                                              Calynda
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Hi Kelly,  I sent you a message back.  I didn't see this before I sent it.  I hope you're staying calm and enjoying your last days of pregnancy.  My OB had asked if I wanted to be induced at 37 weeks, or wait until 39weeks.  The high risk OB was pushing for the earlier date.  My oncologist wasn't as worried and said those 2 weeks wouldn't make a big difference in my treatment.  I ended up getting induced at 37.5 weeks due to blood pressure issues.  Everything was fine with my son and my placenta was clear (they did take that and sent it out for testing to be sure).  The pediatricians know about my history and are planning to keep a closer eye on my son just to be safe.

it's going to be a busy few months while they get everything sorted out, scanned and analyzed.  The unknown is so much more stressful when you have to wait to do anything.   I know the worries.  It was 3 months between my slnb/wle and my PET scan because we had to wait for the baby to be born.  I also have no family in the area.  I had to go to my PET scan alone while my husband stayed home with the baby.

The best thing is that you know about it and the doctors will do everything they can to take care of it.  Hopefully you'll be like me and all the cells were gone after your surgery.

Calynda
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Hi Kelly,  I sent you a message back.  I didn't see this before I sent it.  I hope you're staying calm and enjoying your last days of pregnancy.  My OB had asked if I wanted to be induced at 37 weeks, or wait until 39weeks.  The high risk OB was pushing for the earlier date.  My oncologist wasn't as worried and said those 2 weeks wouldn't make a big difference in my treatment.  I ended up getting induced at 37.5 weeks due to blood pressure issues.  Everything was fine with my son and my placenta was clear (they did take that and sent it out for testing to be sure).  The pediatricians know about my history and are planning to keep a closer eye on my son just to be safe.

it's going to be a busy few months while they get everything sorted out, scanned and analyzed.  The unknown is so much more stressful when you have to wait to do anything.   I know the worries.  It was 3 months between my slnb/wle and my PET scan because we had to wait for the baby to be born.  I also have no family in the area.  I had to go to my PET scan alone while my husband stayed home with the baby.

The best thing is that you know about it and the doctors will do everything they can to take care of it.  Hopefully you'll be like me and all the cells were gone after your surgery.

Kelly Smith
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Hi Calynda,

I really appreciate your input. It helps so very much. I hate that anyone at all has to deal with melanoma, and it's so much worse when you are pregnant and having to wait for treatment/surgery. I really hope and PRAY that it is gone since the one node had very little amounts…but the unknown…oh my gosh..that is brutal. I emailed you back this morning.

Kelly Smith
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Hi Calynda,

I really appreciate your input. It helps so very much. I hate that anyone at all has to deal with melanoma, and it's so much worse when you are pregnant and having to wait for treatment/surgery. I really hope and PRAY that it is gone since the one node had very little amounts…but the unknown…oh my gosh..that is brutal. I emailed you back this morning.

Kelly Smith
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Hi Calynda,

Calynda
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Kelly Smith
                                                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                                                          casagrayson
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

casagrayson
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics