The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Having my 1st Intrapheron treatment tomorrow.

Forums General Melanoma Community Having my 1st Intrapheron treatment tomorrow.

Participant

What should I do to prepare for this?  I know I have to take 650 mg Tylenol and 50 mg Benadryl 30 minutes to 1 hour before.  My appointment is for 2:30 p.m.  Should I eat lunch before?  Any info at this point would be greatly appreciated.

thank You!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

The trouble with interferon, Lisa, is that everyone is so different.  Food made me really sick but other people on the board sailed through with no problems.  My suggestion would be to go slowly until you find out how you respond.  Drink lots of water, don't push yourself, and your own particular response will become clear over time.  Best of luck!!  Fen

Fen
          Participant

The trouble with interferon, Lisa, is that everyone is so different.  Food made me really sick but other people on the board sailed through with no problems.  My suggestion would be to go slowly until you find out how you respond.  Drink lots of water, don't push yourself, and your own particular response will become clear over time.  Best of luck!!  Fen

Fen
            Participant

bj63
              Participant

Unless your doctor told you otherwise, eating lunch should be fine.  I'd keep it on the light side, though.  I didn't have any nausea when I went through Interferon treatments – just flu-like symptoms of fever, chills, and fatigue, but everybody is different.

Good Luck!

bj63

patobs01
                  Participant

Lisa,

I took the "high dose" interferon for 30 days (mornings) in 2010. I used Tylenol every day  prior to the treatment, and then received a bag of saline ( contained something to prevent the nausea) as a pre treatment before the interferon. After the first week some of the side effects started and found that I was mildly nauseous prior to treatments, but once I received the pre-treatment I could eat something light like toast and coffee, and later, I would eat lunch. Pretty much every afternoon I had mild fatigue and chills, so I ended up taking a hot bath and resting. By supper time I was ready to eat again. As the treatments advanced I found myself more fatigued for longer periods in the afternoon and generally went to bed early, but slept well. One caution while taking the treatments, and everyone is different, but my dr. prescribed an anti-depressant prior to starting the Interferon. I was glad that he did that, as towards the end of the 30 days, I did experience some significant depression – and it took a while to realize it as I had never had a history of that issue before. After some research I found that Interferon  can actually cause depression as a side effect – but as you will find – everyone has a different experience. As mentioned in the previous posts, do drink lots of water!

Pat O.

Cooper
                    Participant

If you have history of depression, do not do the interferon.  I was very sick from it and also got off it when I was told the depression can be lasting.  Be sure to look at other threads here about it as it isn't proven to do a heck of a lot to live longer without recur.

Cooper
                      Participant

If you have history of depression, do not do the interferon.  I was very sick from it and also got off it when I was told the depression can be lasting.  Be sure to look at other threads here about it as it isn't proven to do a heck of a lot to live longer without recur.

Cooper
                        Participant

patobs01
                          Participant

Lisa,

I took the "high dose" interferon for 30 days (mornings) in 2010. I used Tylenol every day  prior to the treatment, and then received a bag of saline ( contained something to prevent the nausea) as a pre treatment before the interferon. After the first week some of the side effects started and found that I was mildly nauseous prior to treatments, but once I received the pre-treatment I could eat something light like toast and coffee, and later, I would eat lunch. Pretty much every afternoon I had mild fatigue and chills, so I ended up taking a hot bath and resting. By supper time I was ready to eat again. As the treatments advanced I found myself more fatigued for longer periods in the afternoon and generally went to bed early, but slept well. One caution while taking the treatments, and everyone is different, but my dr. prescribed an anti-depressant prior to starting the Interferon. I was glad that he did that, as towards the end of the 30 days, I did experience some significant depression – and it took a while to realize it as I had never had a history of that issue before. After some research I found that Interferon  can actually cause depression as a side effect – but as you will find – everyone has a different experience. As mentioned in the previous posts, do drink lots of water!

Pat O.

patobs01
                            Participant

Lisa,

Pat O.

bj63
                            Participant

Unless your doctor told you otherwise, eating lunch should be fine.  I'd keep it on the light side, though.  I didn't have any nausea when I went through Interferon treatments – just flu-like symptoms of fever, chills, and fatigue, but everybody is different.

Good Luck!

bj63

bj63
                              Participant

Good Luck!

bj63

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics