The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Having a large mole removed.

Forums General Melanoma Community Having a large mole removed.

Participant

I know for many people on here they have travelled a long road with Melanoma but I am just sharing this for others like me to whom this is all brand new and who also have a decision to make. Being told you have a suspicious mole is very scary. My dermatologist decided to not excise but to monitor again in three months, I just did not feel comfortable with this and for two months it caused me anxiety. A week ago I decided to take control of things and requested it to be removed. Removal date set for a months time but I got lucky and on Tuesday got the call from the surgeon they had a cancellation and did I want to come in. Of course I did. It was a big mole and with the margins I was set to lose a relative chunk of skin on my back. However it was really painless and was over in half an hour. Small needle pricks and felt a bit of pulling and tugging, but absolutely no pain. Today it is a bit uncomfortable lifting or stretching with my arm because of where the stitches are situated but it is really not a big deal. Just glad it is done. A bit nervous waiting for the results but I feel I have taken control of the situation. I amnot a fan of unnecessary surgery but the watch and wait approach was not working for me. I know everyones experience is not the same but if excision worries you at all, my experience is it was really easy and painless. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Scared99
        Participant

It sounds like you have a good derm. I have found some are very cut happy!  I have moles on me that have had for 20 years and some derms wanted them removed.  I have a bunch of scars that were from the doctor removing normal Moles.  I am now in the wait and watch category.  I am tired of derms cutting things off that were harmless. If my mole changes I will have it removed. 

CharmaineD
            Participant

My mole has been changing steadily. Started brown but larger dark area slowly developing. Even if its benign I would rather have it gone than worry about my visit every 3 months. I have a number of moles but this one is by far the largest 1.2cm. I am not suggesting every mole be removed but a mole that needed such close monitoring caused me anxiety

CharmaineD
              Participant

My mole has been changing steadily. Started brown but larger dark area slowly developing. Even if its benign I would rather have it gone than worry about my visit every 3 months. I have a number of moles but this one is by far the largest 1.2cm. I am not suggesting every mole be removed but a mole that needed such close monitoring caused me anxiety

CharmaineD
                Participant

susanspotless
                  Participant

I have had those cut happy derms! Foolishly I let them excise then excise with wider margins through about two dozen moles then I got tired of being their cash cow. Then I found an oncologist I could trust, he wasnt cut happy.

susanspotless
                    Participant

I have had those cut happy derms! Foolishly I let them excise then excise with wider margins through about two dozen moles then I got tired of being their cash cow. Then I found an oncologist I could trust, he wasnt cut happy.

susanspotless
                      Participant

Scared99
                      Participant

It sounds like you have a good derm. I have found some are very cut happy!  I have moles on me that have had for 20 years and some derms wanted them removed.  I have a bunch of scars that were from the doctor removing normal Moles.  I am now in the wait and watch category.  I am tired of derms cutting things off that were harmless. If my mole changes I will have it removed. 

Scared99
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics