The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Haven,t posted in awhile

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Haven,t posted in awhile

Participant
      Just finished five immunotherapy treatments with Opdivo. The second visit resulted in extreme low back pain just 5 minutes after Opdivo infusion. Pain medication was immediately added to iv and we waited about 15 minutes until infusion continued at 60 minute rate instead of 30 minute rate as planned. The third treatment— with pain medication placed into iv before Opdivo— same result at 5 minutes. More pain medicine and short wait before infusion continued. Fourth treatment with more pain up front, no back pain and 60-minute infusion completed. Fifth infusion with a lot of pain medication, low back pain at 12 minutes. Same procedure to complete immunotherapy that visit. I have now been informed that next treatment mid-January will be my last visit and I will be taken off Opdivo if I experience low back pain during infusion. Keep in mind all incidents occurred during infusion, not as a side effect after infusion. Anyone else hear of this complication. I have stage 4 metastic melanoma affecting the subcutaneous tissues. I have no tumors. I did have an original tumor on my side that was respected and bone cancer in my scapula that was radiated. Any ideas.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Shannon39
        Participant
          This did not happen to me but happened to others on Opdivo at my infusion clinic. They were all given benadryl about 15 minutes prior to infusion and this seemed to stop the pain from happening at the 5 minute mark. Maybe see if this is a possibility for you.
            studiodad
            Participant
              Thank you Shannon. They tried 500 mg Benadryl before infusion and 50 mg after. I was dopey from the Benadryl and they don’t want this to happen again. I have heard this is a new problem that is occurring across the country during infusion and is concerning to oncologists. I don’t know what my new treatment will be, if any, if the pain returns next treatment.

Edwin
            Participant
              My infusion center chairs are too long for my legs. To prevent back problems I fold pillow and put it behind my back when sitting on one of these chairs.
                Sdmotorcop
                Participant
                  Coming on #7 for me. No back pain during infusion. Just extreme fatigue after infusion is complete.
                MelMel
                Participant
                  I assume you are getting infusions every four weeks. I wonder if receiving biweekly infusions instead would make a difference with the pain you are experiencing?
                  Melanie
              Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics