The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Has anyone heard from Sharyn ??

Forums General Melanoma Community Has anyone heard from Sharyn ??

Participant

If you are reading this Sharyn, please know we are all thinking about you and hoping your surgery went well.   If Jim is reading this, perhaps you can let us know about Sharyn's condition, and also the address of the hospital where Sharyn is if in fact she will have a long stay..Cheers Joan

If you are reading this Sharyn, please know we are all thinking about you and hoping your surgery went well.   If Jim is reading this, perhaps you can let us know about Sharyn's condition, and also the address of the hospital where Sharyn is if in fact she will have a long stay..Cheers Joan

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

She sent out an email today… I'm sure she'll post an update soon.

Janner

Janner
          Participant

She sent out an email today… I'm sure she'll post an update soon.

Janner

NicOz
            Participant

Great news. Will look forward to it.

Sharyn
                Participant

HAHAHA!! I had started a respons, then thought I lost it. But once I posted, the lost part showed up below the email. Go figure! I can't wait to get my vision back!!!

Sharyn 

Sharyn
                  Participant

HAHAHA!! I had started a respons, then thought I lost it. But once I posted, the lost part showed up below the email. Go figure! I can't wait to get my vision back!!!

Sharyn 

NicOz
                  Participant

Great news. Will look forward to it.

Sharyn
                    Participant
                      I sent this out on Feb 13, and many of you received it through my private email. But I realized later that a lot of you didn't get it. Sorry for the oversight. Thank you, Joan, for thinking about me. :>)

Subject: A new adventure…

Hi friends and family,

A lot has been happening over the past week or so, and I wanted to bring you all up to speed. When most of you last heard from me, I was on my way to Montreal for stereotactic radiation surgery.  That did happen, but not as I expected. On Feb 2, I went for a 1 day trip to Montreal for a routine brain MRI, went home, and I was to return to Montreal again for the SRS procedure on Monday. However, the next day (Feb 3), I got a call from Dr Roberge in Montreal, saying one of the 2 brain tumors had grown exponentially over the past 2 months, was bleeding internally within the tumor, and was now too big to treat with SRS. We still went ahead with the SRS on the smaller tumor on Monday (Feb 7), and on Tues a second treatment on a tumor treated previously in May, but now we have a new game plan for the remaining big tumor.

My radiation oncologist, Dr Norman (St John’s), worked a virtual miracle in arranging a craniotomy for February 21, and best of all, it can be done here in St John’s. I saw neurosurgeon, Dr Avery, on Wed, pre-op will be tomorrow, then surgery Mon 8:00am. So by the time you west-coasters are crawling out of the hay, I'll be resting comfortably in intermediary ICU, with that nasty tumour GONE! I'll be in hospotal for about 5 – 7 days. (But knowing me, I'll be out before then!)

For those of you who don't know, (and me being a die-hard teacher), here’s how a craniotomy is done: The scalp tissue is folded back to expose the bone. Using a high-speed drill, the surgeon drills a pattern of holes through the cranium (skull) and uses a fine wire saw to connect the holes until a segment of bone (bone flap) can be removed. This gives the surgeon access to the inside of the skull and allows him to proceed with surgery inside the brain. After removal of the internal brain lesion is completed, the bone is replaced and secured into position with soft wire. Membranes, muscle, and skin are sutured into position. It all sounds horrible, but I’ve been assured by others who have gone through it, that it’s quite an easy procedure, and recovery is rapid. 

The tumour is on my lower left occipital lobe, (in the back), which controls vision, so half of my peripheral vision on the right side is gone. (Brain symptoms affect opposite sides.) My driver’s license has been suspended, so I'm grounded, and have to relying on the kindness of others to get me around.  It should correct itself after the surgery, so at least it's not permanent, and I'll eventually get my wheels back. In the meantime, I am extremely slow to read, unable to think of many words, and slow to type. Just this update has taken me almost 2 hours to type – slow, labourous hen-pecking — not my normal pace at all!!! Worst of all I tried playing the piano tonight and was horrified to find I couldn’t remember how to play. That skill better come back!!!

I don't know what's happening with ipi. I was on a 12 week break since Dec, and now I'm due for my 24 wk CT scan on Mar 1. But I don't think I'll be recovered enough by then to go back to Montreal. I’ve askes them if I could do the CT scan here in St John’s and fax the results, but no word back yet from Bristol-Myers-Sqyubb.  Also, I don't if they'll allow resuming the ipi infusions later than scheduled. I just hope I don't get disqualified from the trial. Aside from the brain mets, I was doing so well otherwise.

I'll be in touch as things unfold
                      Hugs
                      Sharyn

Hi Joan, all my MPIP warriors,

Could't communicate much over the past few weeks due to the impaired vision from my brain met. Major confusuion, unable to speak many words, unstable walking, etc. Definitely NOT on top of my game!!  But not to worry. I started on anti-seisure medication and Decodron yesterday to prepare me for surgery on Monday morning, and already I'm noticing a difference, thank god!

I sent out an email to my my family and friends, and rather than repeat it all, I hope you don't mind me repeating it all again. Many of you have heard his, but for those who haven't, here's the latest and greatest.

Sharyn
                      Participant
                        I sent this out on Feb 13, and many of you received it through my private email. But I realized later that a lot of you didn't get it. Sorry for the oversight. Thank you, Joan, for thinking about me. :>)

Subject: A new adventure…

Hi friends and family,

A lot has been happening over the past week or so, and I wanted to bring you all up to speed. When most of you last heard from me, I was on my way to Montreal for stereotactic radiation surgery.  That did happen, but not as I expected. On Feb 2, I went for a 1 day trip to Montreal for a routine brain MRI, went home, and I was to return to Montreal again for the SRS procedure on Monday. However, the next day (Feb 3), I got a call from Dr Roberge in Montreal, saying one of the 2 brain tumors had grown exponentially over the past 2 months, was bleeding internally within the tumor, and was now too big to treat with SRS. We still went ahead with the SRS on the smaller tumor on Monday (Feb 7), and on Tues a second treatment on a tumor treated previously in May, but now we have a new game plan for the remaining big tumor.

My radiation oncologist, Dr Norman (St John’s), worked a virtual miracle in arranging a craniotomy for February 21, and best of all, it can be done here in St John’s. I saw neurosurgeon, Dr Avery, on Wed, pre-op will be tomorrow, then surgery Mon 8:00am. So by the time you west-coasters are crawling out of the hay, I'll be resting comfortably in intermediary ICU, with that nasty tumour GONE! I'll be in hospotal for about 5 – 7 days. (But knowing me, I'll be out before then!)

For those of you who don't know, (and me being a die-hard teacher), here’s how a craniotomy is done: The scalp tissue is folded back to expose the bone. Using a high-speed drill, the surgeon drills a pattern of holes through the cranium (skull) and uses a fine wire saw to connect the holes until a segment of bone (bone flap) can be removed. This gives the surgeon access to the inside of the skull and allows him to proceed with surgery inside the brain. After removal of the internal brain lesion is completed, the bone is replaced and secured into position with soft wire. Membranes, muscle, and skin are sutured into position. It all sounds horrible, but I’ve been assured by others who have gone through it, that it’s quite an easy procedure, and recovery is rapid. 

The tumour is on my lower left occipital lobe, (in the back), which controls vision, so half of my peripheral vision on the right side is gone. (Brain symptoms affect opposite sides.) My driver’s license has been suspended, so I'm grounded, and have to relying on the kindness of others to get me around.  It should correct itself after the surgery, so at least it's not permanent, and I'll eventually get my wheels back. In the meantime, I am extremely slow to read, unable to think of many words, and slow to type. Just this update has taken me almost 2 hours to type – slow, labourous hen-pecking — not my normal pace at all!!! Worst of all I tried playing the piano tonight and was horrified to find I couldn’t remember how to play. That skill better come back!!!

I don't know what's happening with ipi. I was on a 12 week break since Dec, and now I'm due for my 24 wk CT scan on Mar 1. But I don't think I'll be recovered enough by then to go back to Montreal. I’ve askes them if I could do the CT scan here in St John’s and fax the results, but no word back yet from Bristol-Myers-Sqyubb.  Also, I don't if they'll allow resuming the ipi infusions later than scheduled. I just hope I don't get disqualified from the trial. Aside from the brain mets, I was doing so well otherwise.

I'll be in touch as things unfold
                        Hugs
                        Sharyn

Hi Joan, all my MPIP warriors,

Could't communicate much over the past few weeks due to the impaired vision from my brain met. Major confusuion, unable to speak many words, unstable walking, etc. Definitely NOT on top of my game!!  But not to worry. I started on anti-seisure medication and Decodron yesterday to prepare me for surgery on Monday morning, and already I'm noticing a difference, thank god!

I sent out an email to my my family and friends, and rather than repeat it all, I hope you don't mind me repeating it all again. Many of you have heard his, but for those who haven't, here's the latest and greatest.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics