The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Has anyone had Melanoma then Lymphoma?

Forums General Melanoma Community Has anyone had Melanoma then Lymphoma?

Participant

Hi all.  I have been NED for 10 years and haven't been on this board in a very long time. 

My mel was stage III (2.5 on my upper back with a postive lymph node). They removed all lymphnodes in right axilla and none of the others were positive for mel. I also did the entire year of Interferon. 

Hi all.  I have been NED for 10 years and haven't been on this board in a very long time. 

My mel was stage III (2.5 on my upper back with a postive lymph node). They removed all lymphnodes in right axilla and none of the others were positive for mel. I also did the entire year of Interferon. 

I just had a "cyst" removed from my left neck and learned that it is CD4 positive pleomorphic T-cell lymphoma.  I have been referred to a radiation-oncologist and have an initial consultation next Wednesday.  In the meantime, I am still waiting for the surgeon and/or dermatologist to return my calls.  I have a lot of questions and am getting really frustrated with the lack of response. 

My question:  Has anyone here had melanoma then lymphoma?  This T-cell Dx is apparently pretty rare.  I find it ironic that the lymphoma was also diagnosed in the skin (so far at least).

This board was so helpful to me back in the early melanoma days, I hope I can find a Lymphoma resource that is even half as good.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Mary Jo

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        [email protected]
        Participant

Hi,

I am researching a simular question only in reverse. I have a rare form of Lymphoma that was not diagnoised until I was receiving the work up for the recently diagnoised Stage III Melanoma. I am told "you probably have had this Lymphoma for many years". So….was the melanoma an oportuntistic cancer from the weakend immune system? My Hem/Onc team says "could be". My search for answers goes on..

MJHatch
            Participant

Hi Kathey, 

Thanks for posting.  I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with two Dx at the same time! I've heard that there is a possible link between lymphoma and melanoma, but it seems that Lymphoma usually preceeds melanoma – as in your case. If I come up with any relevent information, I'll post links here.  

MJ

MJHatch
              Participant

Hi Kathey, 

Thanks for posting.  I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with two Dx at the same time! I've heard that there is a possible link between lymphoma and melanoma, but it seems that Lymphoma usually preceeds melanoma – as in your case. If I come up with any relevent information, I'll post links here.  

MJ

MJHatch
                Participant

Hi Kathey, 

MJ

[email protected]
                Participant

Hi,

I am researching a simular question only in reverse. I have a rare form of Lymphoma that was not diagnoised until I was receiving the work up for the recently diagnoised Stage III Melanoma. I am told "you probably have had this Lymphoma for many years". So….was the melanoma an oportuntistic cancer from the weakend immune system? My Hem/Onc team says "could be". My search for answers goes on..

[email protected]
                  Participant

Hi,

Ann from Iowa
                    Participant

Yes, my husband has a form of skin lymphoma which was diagnosed after his surgery to remove 32 lymph nodes when one was 5 cm with extranodal extension.  His is called lymphomatoid papulosis and is a benign lymphoma but can become a malignant melanoma.  He breaks out in a type of rash that itches intensely.  You can read his profile under my" Ann from Iowa" listing.  You also can read about his type of skin lymphoma on the Cutaneous Skin Lymphoma site.  It is a very rare form of benign lymphoma and they tell you of the other forms on this site too which probably will tell you about what you have.  I believe his is a T-Cell lymphoma too.  Other than being a real bother it has not been that much of a problem.  His dermatologist gave him a steroid cream to put on the rash to help with the itching.  He has only had 3 outbreaks since it was diagnosed but I know each time it has been a bit worse.  Some people have it all of the time.  I am not sure what name they put on yours but hopefully it will be no worse than his.  He is Stage IIIB and has been NED for 2 1/2 years since radiation and 1 year Leukine treatment.  Good luck with this additional problem. 

Ann from Iowa
                      Participant

Yes, my husband has a form of skin lymphoma which was diagnosed after his surgery to remove 32 lymph nodes when one was 5 cm with extranodal extension.  His is called lymphomatoid papulosis and is a benign lymphoma but can become a malignant melanoma.  He breaks out in a type of rash that itches intensely.  You can read his profile under my" Ann from Iowa" listing.  You also can read about his type of skin lymphoma on the Cutaneous Skin Lymphoma site.  It is a very rare form of benign lymphoma and they tell you of the other forms on this site too which probably will tell you about what you have.  I believe his is a T-Cell lymphoma too.  Other than being a real bother it has not been that much of a problem.  His dermatologist gave him a steroid cream to put on the rash to help with the itching.  He has only had 3 outbreaks since it was diagnosed but I know each time it has been a bit worse.  Some people have it all of the time.  I am not sure what name they put on yours but hopefully it will be no worse than his.  He is Stage IIIB and has been NED for 2 1/2 years since radiation and 1 year Leukine treatment.  Good luck with this additional problem. 

Ann from Iowa
                        Participant

buffcody
                          Participant

Just a simple unhelpful unfortunately answer to your question. My mother was diagnosed with melanoma in her 60s.  I don't know the stage but it was beyond Stage I.  She then was diagnosed with lymphoma in her early 90s and decided to seek no treatment, dying from it within a year.  My family's medical history is being examined by NIH under the hypothesis that our melanoma is familial (3 other cases besides my mother and I). I am also getting complete genetic sequencing of my melanoma tumor this month.  If there is anything of interest that I learn, I will be happy to share it with you.

Janner
                              Participant

Cody,

I do have a familial genetic defect (CDKN2A) and know I'm at risk for other cancers.  I don't actually remember lymphoma being one of them, however, but I don't have access to my notes right now.  The highest risk for me besides melanoma is pancreatic cancer.  It runs an 11-17% lifetime risk depending on the exact mutation (over the general population).  At the time of my testing, there were other cancers identified but they didn't have an actual numeric risk associated with them.  I think just not enough info.  I had my testing done as part of a clinical trial which I believe is ongoing.  My testing was done ten years ago and I recently had a phone call confirming all this information (high risk, etc) because they just have more data now.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                Participant

Cody,

I do have a familial genetic defect (CDKN2A) and know I'm at risk for other cancers.  I don't actually remember lymphoma being one of them, however, but I don't have access to my notes right now.  The highest risk for me besides melanoma is pancreatic cancer.  It runs an 11-17% lifetime risk depending on the exact mutation (over the general population).  At the time of my testing, there were other cancers identified but they didn't have an actual numeric risk associated with them.  I think just not enough info.  I had my testing done as part of a clinical trial which I believe is ongoing.  My testing was done ten years ago and I recently had a phone call confirming all this information (high risk, etc) because they just have more data now.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                  Participant

Cody,

Best wishes,

Janner

buffcody
                                  Participant

Just a simple unhelpful unfortunately answer to your question. My mother was diagnosed with melanoma in her 60s.  I don't know the stage but it was beyond Stage I.  She then was diagnosed with lymphoma in her early 90s and decided to seek no treatment, dying from it within a year.  My family's medical history is being examined by NIH under the hypothesis that our melanoma is familial (3 other cases besides my mother and I). I am also getting complete genetic sequencing of my melanoma tumor this month.  If there is anything of interest that I learn, I will be happy to share it with you.

buffcody
                                    Participant

MJHatch
                                      Participant

Hi All. 

Thanks for the responses to my question a few weeks ago about T-Cell Lynphoma and Melanoma.  I have an appointment at M.D. Anderson next week with Dr. Duvic.  I am so glad I conctacted MDA as Dr. Duvic focuses on Cutaneous T-Cell Lymphomas as well as Melanoma!  I've never been to MDA but was advised to plan on spending several days as testing to determine stage , etc will likely take place.  Dr. D is also retesting the "slice" so we can have a complete pathology report to work with.

It seems likely to me that there is some kind of link between melanoma and lymphoma.  I will post what I find out in Houston following my appointments next week.

Thanks!

MJ

MJHatch
                                        Participant

Hi All. 

Thanks for the responses to my question a few weeks ago about T-Cell Lynphoma and Melanoma.  I have an appointment at M.D. Anderson next week with Dr. Duvic.  I am so glad I conctacted MDA as Dr. Duvic focuses on Cutaneous T-Cell Lymphomas as well as Melanoma!  I've never been to MDA but was advised to plan on spending several days as testing to determine stage , etc will likely take place.  Dr. D is also retesting the "slice" so we can have a complete pathology report to work with.

It seems likely to me that there is some kind of link between melanoma and lymphoma.  I will post what I find out in Houston following my appointments next week.

Thanks!

MJ

MJHatch
                                          Participant

Hi All. 

Thanks!

MJ

MJHatch
                                            Participant

Hi All. 

Thanks!

MJ

MJHatch
                                              Participant

Hi All. 

Thanks!

MJ

MJHatch
                                                Participant

Hi All. 

Thanks!

MJ

MJHatch
                                                  Participant

Hi All. 

Thanks!

MJ

MJHatch
                                                    Participant

Hi All. 

Thanks!

MJ

MJHatch
                                                      Participant

Hi All. 

Thanks!

MJ

MJHatch
                                                        Participant

Hi All. 

Thanks!

MJ

MJHatch
                                                          Participant

Hi All. 

Thanks!

MJ

MJHatch
                                                            Participant

Hi All. 

Thanks!

MJ

[email protected]
                                                              Participant

I recently was seen at MD ANderson and was very pleased. Though I feel it was a wasted trip and cost. As my immune system is to low at this point from the dx of Waldenstorums Macroglobuliema (Lymphoma)- I am not a able to recieve any type of intervention. So we will watchfully wait with the melanoma. I am Stage IIIc with one node( 1/25) postive a the left axillary area. In may my numbers (IGM >6000& Viscosity 7) required I start intervention for the W-M. I had Plasmapherisis x 2 treatment and OMGosh! After years of chronic nuerophathy and joint stiffness–I can move and am pain free. Years of miss diagnosis have lead to more than 13 years of pain that a blood test could have solved. It could be that my melanoma was opportunistic from the undiagnosised Lymphoma…so I ask my cancer team "what now?" I am told again we will watch and wait…MD Adnerson tells me that radiation is not recommeded much anymore..that they find it may accutally increase the growth of non growing small tumors…and my cancer team at LSU-HSC Shreveprot, Louisiana agrees. So I am receiveing chemo for the W-M and praying for NED on my next PET scan…I might add that I read also that Rocky Mountain Spotted Tick Fever may have something to do with later development of W-M Lymphoma..I had RMSTF in 1985…will be interesting to see how this all plays out…I can only say at this time I am watchful and enjoying this pain free body!

[email protected]
                                                                Participant

I recently was seen at MD ANderson and was very pleased. Though I feel it was a wasted trip and cost. As my immune system is to low at this point from the dx of Waldenstorums Macroglobuliema (Lymphoma)- I am not a able to recieve any type of intervention. So we will watchfully wait with the melanoma. I am Stage IIIc with one node( 1/25) postive a the left axillary area. In may my numbers (IGM >6000& Viscosity 7) required I start intervention for the W-M. I had Plasmapherisis x 2 treatment and OMGosh! After years of chronic nuerophathy and joint stiffness–I can move and am pain free. Years of miss diagnosis have lead to more than 13 years of pain that a blood test could have solved. It could be that my melanoma was opportunistic from the undiagnosised Lymphoma…so I ask my cancer team "what now?" I am told again we will watch and wait…MD Adnerson tells me that radiation is not recommeded much anymore..that they find it may accutally increase the growth of non growing small tumors…and my cancer team at LSU-HSC Shreveprot, Louisiana agrees. So I am receiveing chemo for the W-M and praying for NED on my next PET scan…I might add that I read also that Rocky Mountain Spotted Tick Fever may have something to do with later development of W-M Lymphoma..I had RMSTF in 1985…will be interesting to see how this all plays out…I can only say at this time I am watchful and enjoying this pain free body!

[email protected]
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics