The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Has anyone had melanoma spread to breast tissue?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Has anyone had melanoma spread to breast tissue?

Participant

My recent history: two primary melanomas – a large one that required a skin graft on my right calf with no spread to sentinal lymph nodes and a small one on my left arm near the elbow that had spread to sentinal lymph nodes. Had full axillary dissection of 20 nodes; only one was positive for cancer,  but it was large (a little over 6 cm). 

I just got my the results of my MRI and CT scan and, thankfully, there is currently no spread to brain, lungs, or liver. Unfortunately, though, the CT scan revealed two masses/lumps  – one in my left breast and one between my breasts just above my diaphragm (and in front of the breast bone). Mammogram and biopsies are pending. 

My question is whether anyone out there has experienced this kind of spread. I know both could just be cysts but I also know they could both be melanoma – or even a different kind of breast cancer. 

I'm not sure how this will affect my final staging and I know I can't know until the tests are back, but I can't help but be a little worried and I wanted to reach out to this kind and well-informed community. 

Thank you!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        CarolA
        Participant

I had melanoma develop on my left breast, three years after the initial (Feb 2005) finding on my left midriff area.  After the innitial WLE and SNB (Feb 2005), two nodes were detected.   Six months (Sep 2005) later I had a total LND which resulted in showing no further node involvement.  I did not choose to do interferon.

At three years later (Oct 2008), after several recurrences that were noticed on top of the surface,  over almost a year;s duration, the decision was made to have a mastectomy when the recurrence travelled to the middle of the breast, near the sternum.

The mastectomy removed my entire breast and skin, resulting in the need to have a skin graft taken from my left thigh to cover the area.   The skin graft wound was a rough recovery.   The chest wound, while dramatic and needed changing of bandaging every day, did not cause me much discomfort at all.   The recovery period for this approach was a good four to five weeks.   Again I chose not to do interferon and was not offered any trial options.

Since then, my surgeon/oncologist retired and my care was transferred to Roswell Park Cancer Institue, where I am seen annually.  At the last visit, I was told at the ten year mark I would no longer be observed annually.   I can't believe SO many years have gone by since my initial reaching out to this forum.

Christine, I know my situation of melanoma "on" my breast is different than your detection.  I hope you find yourself in good hands, getting good advice and care.   It does become confusing to peope to understand you do not have "breast" cancer, but melanoma that has spread to your breast.   I did find much help post surgery from breast cancer support groups, however, but I would find myself having to explain my situation.

CarolA

Amherst, NY

CarolA
          Participant

I had melanoma develop on my left breast, three years after the initial (Feb 2005) finding on my left midriff area.  After the innitial WLE and SNB (Feb 2005), two nodes were detected.   Six months (Sep 2005) later I had a total LND which resulted in showing no further node involvement.  I did not choose to do interferon.

At three years later (Oct 2008), after several recurrences that were noticed on top of the surface,  over almost a year;s duration, the decision was made to have a mastectomy when the recurrence travelled to the middle of the breast, near the sternum.

The mastectomy removed my entire breast and skin, resulting in the need to have a skin graft taken from my left thigh to cover the area.   The skin graft wound was a rough recovery.   The chest wound, while dramatic and needed changing of bandaging every day, did not cause me much discomfort at all.   The recovery period for this approach was a good four to five weeks.   Again I chose not to do interferon and was not offered any trial options.

Since then, my surgeon/oncologist retired and my care was transferred to Roswell Park Cancer Institue, where I am seen annually.  At the last visit, I was told at the ten year mark I would no longer be observed annually.   I can't believe SO many years have gone by since my initial reaching out to this forum.

Christine, I know my situation of melanoma "on" my breast is different than your detection.  I hope you find yourself in good hands, getting good advice and care.   It does become confusing to peope to understand you do not have "breast" cancer, but melanoma that has spread to your breast.   I did find much help post surgery from breast cancer support groups, however, but I would find myself having to explain my situation.

CarolA

Amherst, NY

CarolA
            Participant

CarolA

Amherst, NY

Swanee
              Participant

I too have experienced melanoma in my right breast. I've had about 15  tumors removed over the past five years, all located on the right side of my trunk up into my armpit.  I've had  about five removed from  my right breast.  About two years ago, I had a CLND of the right axillary, with about 34 lymph nodes removed and most involved with melanoma, but no masectomy or any suggestion of that.  Early on when I was first diagnosed I had biopsies, breast MRI's, mammograms, ultra sound, along with the PET/CT scans, but now when a new tumor pops up, it is just assumed it's melanoma.  However, this causes difficulties between OB/GYN and my oncologist as OB/GYN wants there own studies done to confirm melanoma.   I've had many surgeries to remove tumors as they either fail to respond to treatment or they become symptomatic .  Oddly, both my breasts are pretty close in size and shape despite all the surgeries.  However, CLND did create a void in my armpit and my right breast does not fill out that area the same as the left, a small price to pay compared to so many others.  It is confusing to others, even those in the medical profession,  that think it's breast cancer once it's located there and sometimes very frustrating to explain to others how this disease shows up wherever it wants to, but  is still melanoma regardless of where it has settled.  I'm currently set to go in the TIL at SCCA and as of this September, I am currently NED!  I'm just one more unique situation in the battle with melanoma!  I hope this helps!  Good Luck!

Swanee

_Paul_
                  Participant

Hi Swanee, I can't remember if we have communicated before or not (my memory is like a fine Swiss Cheese–full of holes). I am in the TIL trial as well at SCCA, but so far only Step 1. My TIL cells are sitting on ice somewhere at the UW. Are you going ahead with the full treatment or are you the same as me? I ask because you are NED and its a harsh treatment. I would love to know your rationale either way!

– Paul

Swanee
                    Participant

Hi Paul!  Just saw this post and yes, we have talked and I have your email.  Will contact you there, would love to chat about our situations!

Swanee

Swanee
                      Participant

Hi Paul!  Just saw this post and yes, we have talked and I have your email.  Will contact you there, would love to chat about our situations!

Swanee

Swanee
                        Participant

Swanee

_Paul_
                          Participant

Hi Swanee, I can't remember if we have communicated before or not (my memory is like a fine Swiss Cheese–full of holes). I am in the TIL trial as well at SCCA, but so far only Step 1. My TIL cells are sitting on ice somewhere at the UW. Are you going ahead with the full treatment or are you the same as me? I ask because you are NED and its a harsh treatment. I would love to know your rationale either way!

– Paul

_Paul_
                            Participant

– Paul

Swanee
                            Participant

I too have experienced melanoma in my right breast. I've had about 15  tumors removed over the past five years, all located on the right side of my trunk up into my armpit.  I've had  about five removed from  my right breast.  About two years ago, I had a CLND of the right axillary, with about 34 lymph nodes removed and most involved with melanoma, but no masectomy or any suggestion of that.  Early on when I was first diagnosed I had biopsies, breast MRI's, mammograms, ultra sound, along with the PET/CT scans, but now when a new tumor pops up, it is just assumed it's melanoma.  However, this causes difficulties between OB/GYN and my oncologist as OB/GYN wants there own studies done to confirm melanoma.   I've had many surgeries to remove tumors as they either fail to respond to treatment or they become symptomatic .  Oddly, both my breasts are pretty close in size and shape despite all the surgeries.  However, CLND did create a void in my armpit and my right breast does not fill out that area the same as the left, a small price to pay compared to so many others.  It is confusing to others, even those in the medical profession,  that think it's breast cancer once it's located there and sometimes very frustrating to explain to others how this disease shows up wherever it wants to, but  is still melanoma regardless of where it has settled.  I'm currently set to go in the TIL at SCCA and as of this September, I am currently NED!  I'm just one more unique situation in the battle with melanoma!  I hope this helps!  Good Luck!

Swanee

Swanee
                              Participant

Swanee

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics