The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Has anyone had laser or stint done to open lung airway?

Forums General Melanoma Community Has anyone had laser or stint done to open lung airway?

Participant

Hi,

I am a Zelboraf/Braf dropout due to scans showing growth,  and now moving to Ippi.  I am waiting for insurance to approve ippi and I will hopefully start next week. 

Hi,

I am a Zelboraf/Braf dropout due to scans showing growth,  and now moving to Ippi.  I am waiting for insurance to approve ippi and I will hopefully start next week. 

One of the areas of growth for me is the lower part of my left lung which is starting to close up.  My oncologist mentioned while I waited for ippi to work (fingers crossed  it does work)  I could have laser or stint done to open airway making it easier to breath.    I wondered if anyone had either laser or stint done and if so did they have any problems with it? 

Thank you

laurie from maine

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        MeNDave
        Participant

Hi Laurie,

I haven't heard of anyone having that done, but I'm glad that your oncologist is willing to do it. 

Let us know what you decide, and I hope the IPI starts doing it's magic.

Maria

MeNDave
          Participant

Hi Laurie,

I haven't heard of anyone having that done, but I'm glad that your oncologist is willing to do it. 

Maria

MeNDave
            Participant

Hi Laurie,

Maria

cltml
              Participant

My two tumors are in the lung area, one in the subcarina and one in the hylum.  The one in the hylum was outside the lung until recently.  A bronchoscopy revealed that the bronchus to my RLL lobe had been invaded with melanoma and is up to 95% blocked causing some gunk to build up in that lung.  Dr. Soubani at Karmanos CC considered using a procedure called APG (argon plasma something) but in the end decided against it because of the amount of cancer.  He referred me to a neighboring hospital (that isn't a cancer center) that specializes in lung lasering. 

Dr. Cynthia Ray performed the lasering using a rigid bronchoscope and lasering tool.  She indicated that the procedure was very successful and burned away the visible cancer.  She didn't feel that a stent was necessary as the bronchus is strong at the location where my cancer grew.

I had a pretty raw throat for a day but other than that, nothing.  I still have some gunk in the lower lobe, and my breathing has not improved much.  They feel this is due to the size of the tumor in the hylum which is 6cm x 7cm.

I hope that this helps.  Please feel free to ask any followup questions you might have.

cltml

cltml
                Participant

My two tumors are in the lung area, one in the subcarina and one in the hylum.  The one in the hylum was outside the lung until recently.  A bronchoscopy revealed that the bronchus to my RLL lobe had been invaded with melanoma and is up to 95% blocked causing some gunk to build up in that lung.  Dr. Soubani at Karmanos CC considered using a procedure called APG (argon plasma something) but in the end decided against it because of the amount of cancer.  He referred me to a neighboring hospital (that isn't a cancer center) that specializes in lung lasering. 

Dr. Cynthia Ray performed the lasering using a rigid bronchoscope and lasering tool.  She indicated that the procedure was very successful and burned away the visible cancer.  She didn't feel that a stent was necessary as the bronchus is strong at the location where my cancer grew.

I had a pretty raw throat for a day but other than that, nothing.  I still have some gunk in the lower lobe, and my breathing has not improved much.  They feel this is due to the size of the tumor in the hylum which is 6cm x 7cm.

I hope that this helps.  Please feel free to ask any followup questions you might have.

cltml

cltml
                  Participant

cltml

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics