The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Has anyone ever had cancer of the heart?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Has anyone ever had cancer of the heart?

Participant

Hello All!

So my husband and I were going over treatment options the other day and we began to brainstorm (I know scary) and we realized that we have never heard of melanoma or any other cancer involving the heart muscle.  Does anyone know if there has been an investigation to see if this is true?  Hypothsis:  Heart tissue is resistant to cancer.  I realize that tumors grow by the heart, around the heart, etc. because I have a pesky met kissing my heart…its in my left lung ever so close to my ticker!

Hello All!

So my husband and I were going over treatment options the other day and we began to brainstorm (I know scary) and we realized that we have never heard of melanoma or any other cancer involving the heart muscle.  Does anyone know if there has been an investigation to see if this is true?  Hypothsis:  Heart tissue is resistant to cancer.  I realize that tumors grow by the heart, around the heart, etc. because I have a pesky met kissing my heart…its in my left lung ever so close to my ticker!

Out loud, typed out in back-in white…I have lung mets…phew…a few weeks ago I underwent a Flex bronch. VATS wedge resection to my lower right lobe.  The two other nodes were too deep in my lung and my doctor wanted a quick recovery time, so next month I will be asking to be treated with IL-2 and a dash of GSK Braf.  Call me silly, but I believe this might be the treatment for me…

Thank you to all of you old-timers and newcomers who continue to keep this place open for folks like me who appear and then disappear, like Houdini!

My best to all with many Blessings,

Suzan AB

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        MichaelFL
        Participant

It is my understanding that although rare (unlikely, or uncommon in doctor speak) melanoma can involve any cardiac chamber or structure, and I believe most melanoma heart metastases are involved in the pericardium (70%), myocardium, and the right atrium. It is also my understanding that although very rare, metastatic ocular melanoma may also occur to the left ventricle as well.

You can google heart melanoma, and do a search here and you will find some posts too.

I am also sure you are aware of the three most likely places, lung, liver and brain, but I believe melanoma can go anywhere it wants to. It can go on, near, or even in the heart. In my opinion, anywhere there are cells, a cancer of some type has the potential to appear. But does that mean it will in your case? No. You would think it would have done so already. Perhaps doctor words are again in order here: "unlikely" or "uncommon".

Good luck with Il-2 and BRAF. Guessing you already tested positive for the mutation.

Michael

Suzan AB
            Participant

Thank you Michael…I should of known…or at least googled the question, however, this is the best place to get information regarding melanoma.  Crapper…melanoma in the heart who would have known…Just a "Beastly", "Beast"!

My best to you and yours!

Suzan AB

Suzan AB
              Participant

Thank you Michael…I should of known…or at least googled the question, however, this is the best place to get information regarding melanoma.  Crapper…melanoma in the heart who would have known…Just a "Beastly", "Beast"!

My best to you and yours!

Suzan AB

MichaelFL
              Participant

It is my understanding that although rare (unlikely, or uncommon in doctor speak) melanoma can involve any cardiac chamber or structure, and I believe most melanoma heart metastases are involved in the pericardium (70%), myocardium, and the right atrium. It is also my understanding that although very rare, metastatic ocular melanoma may also occur to the left ventricle as well.

You can google heart melanoma, and do a search here and you will find some posts too.

I am also sure you are aware of the three most likely places, lung, liver and brain, but I believe melanoma can go anywhere it wants to. It can go on, near, or even in the heart. In my opinion, anywhere there are cells, a cancer of some type has the potential to appear. But does that mean it will in your case? No. You would think it would have done so already. Perhaps doctor words are again in order here: "unlikely" or "uncommon".

Good luck with Il-2 and BRAF. Guessing you already tested positive for the mutation.

Michael

LynnLuc
                Participant

Mine was kissing my heart too until I finally has it removed…it was in my mediastinem and pressing against my superior vena cava…after  the radiation, chemo, surgery and vaccine trial I am now NED for 1 year and 1 month…good luck with your treatments!-Lynn

Suzan AB
                    Participant

Thank you Lynn!  I have seen your posts and I have been following your treatment plan.  Question…How long after surgery did it take before you began treatment?  They have me waiting till 5/21?  Crap!  Anyways, thanks for posting your response…

My best,  Suzan AB

Suzan AB
                      Participant

Thank you Lynn!  I have seen your posts and I have been following your treatment plan.  Question…How long after surgery did it take before you began treatment?  They have me waiting till 5/21?  Crap!  Anyways, thanks for posting your response…

My best,  Suzan AB

LynnLuc
                      Participant

Mine was kissing my heart too until I finally has it removed…it was in my mediastinem and pressing against my superior vena cava…after  the radiation, chemo, surgery and vaccine trial I am now NED for 1 year and 1 month…good luck with your treatments!-Lynn

CKasper
                        Participant

In August I had pericarditis.  Fluid in the lung and heart.  I had a test for my heart and apparently it was something called a "Fat Pad" but usually there is a tumor in the heart for melanoma patients which they only find after they are expired.  So yes there is a tumor.  I read it on the internet.  I hope for your sake its a fat pad.  Like me.

Good luck and best wishes

Cindy

CKasper
                          Participant

In August I had pericarditis.  Fluid in the lung and heart.  I had a test for my heart and apparently it was something called a "Fat Pad" but usually there is a tumor in the heart for melanoma patients which they only find after they are expired.  So yes there is a tumor.  I read it on the internet.  I hope for your sake its a fat pad.  Like me.

Good luck and best wishes

Cindy

Viewing 5 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics