The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Has anyone done IPI with an automimmune disease

Forums General Melanoma Community Has anyone done IPI with an automimmune disease

Participant

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if anyone has done IPI with an autoimmune disease and how you have made out. Still trying to sort out treatment options. I have very light MS and am not gene positive. Was headed for IL-2 but now doctor is looking at IPI with my neurologist.

Many thanks to all,

MaryEllen

PS Thanks Eileen L for your quick answer. What did your Dr think about IPI and MS?

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if anyone has done IPI with an autoimmune disease and how you have made out. Still trying to sort out treatment options. I have very light MS and am not gene positive. Was headed for IL-2 but now doctor is looking at IPI with my neurologist.

Many thanks to all,

MaryEllen

PS Thanks Eileen L for your quick answer. What did your Dr think about IPI and MS?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Swanee
        Participant

Hi Mary Ellen…….I love your question……and I have wanted to ask it myself.  I did IPI, and was only able to receive one dose, I immediately was stricken with ulcerated colitis and IPI was stopped.  While I don't specifically suffer from auto immune disease currently….. I do have strong auto immune disorders from my father's side  and some I show weakness to and  are already experiencing   signs of having.  This has made me rethink all the treatments that have been suggested to me.  I also am a patient with "no primary" but diagnosed  as stage 4, which is very unusual and they told me my body probably fought off the primary melanoma. 

It is now the plan for me to do the TIL but I am wondering if I might benefit from just surgery.  I was diagnosed 2 yrs. ago and the doctors are amazed that I am not further along in my disease……and I keep wondering if it is about my auto immune history.  My disease remains in the right flank, lower abdomen to upper armpit area…..I have had approximately 12 subcutaneous tumors removed  ……  but after two years does not appear to be anywhere else.  The doctors keep telling me I need a more systemic treatment, but I am wondering if lymphadenectomy surgery would be more beneficial to me right now and then wait and see what comes my way.

I am so curious for the feedback and will be very interested in what the board has to say.  Sorry did not check to see what your specific situation is Mary Ellen…..but obviously, you are here with all of us and we are all   on this journey together.  I hope you are doing and feeling well.   Thanks for a question I've been  wanting to ask……..  Swanee

Swanee
          Participant

Hi Mary Ellen…….I love your question……and I have wanted to ask it myself.  I did IPI, and was only able to receive one dose, I immediately was stricken with ulcerated colitis and IPI was stopped.  While I don't specifically suffer from auto immune disease currently….. I do have strong auto immune disorders from my father's side  and some I show weakness to and  are already experiencing   signs of having.  This has made me rethink all the treatments that have been suggested to me.  I also am a patient with "no primary" but diagnosed  as stage 4, which is very unusual and they told me my body probably fought off the primary melanoma. 

It is now the plan for me to do the TIL but I am wondering if I might benefit from just surgery.  I was diagnosed 2 yrs. ago and the doctors are amazed that I am not further along in my disease……and I keep wondering if it is about my auto immune history.  My disease remains in the right flank, lower abdomen to upper armpit area…..I have had approximately 12 subcutaneous tumors removed  ……  but after two years does not appear to be anywhere else.  The doctors keep telling me I need a more systemic treatment, but I am wondering if lymphadenectomy surgery would be more beneficial to me right now and then wait and see what comes my way.

I am so curious for the feedback and will be very interested in what the board has to say.  Sorry did not check to see what your specific situation is Mary Ellen…..but obviously, you are here with all of us and we are all   on this journey together.  I hope you are doing and feeling well.   Thanks for a question I've been  wanting to ask……..  Swanee

Swanee
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics