The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Has anyone developed lymphedema NOT caused as a result of surgery or chemo/radiation?

Forums General Melanoma Community Has anyone developed lymphedema NOT caused as a result of surgery or chemo/radiation?

Participant

Has anyone developed lymphedema NOT caused as a result of surgery and/or chem/radiation?

Is Lymphedema an indicator of cancer in the absence of surgery and/or chemo/radiation?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

This site might help explain lymphedema and how someone can get primary lymphedema as opposed to secondary (from surgery/radiation/etc).

http://www.lymphnet.org/overview/what-is-lymphedema/what-causes-lymphedema

JuTMSY4
            Participant

This is pretty much the answer.  My suggestion here is to seek treatment.  It's probably  benign but annoying cause, but in either event, it could be tracked down.  Perhaps more importantly, the sooner you begin lymphedema treatment, the easier it is to treat and control.  

Good Luck – Justin

JuTMSY4
              Participant

This is pretty much the answer.  My suggestion here is to seek treatment.  It's probably  benign but annoying cause, but in either event, it could be tracked down.  Perhaps more importantly, the sooner you begin lymphedema treatment, the easier it is to treat and control.  

Good Luck – Justin

JuTMSY4
                Participant

Good Luck – Justin

jennunicorn
                Participant

This site might help explain lymphedema and how someone can get primary lymphedema as opposed to secondary (from surgery/radiation/etc).

jennunicorn
                  Participant

Minnesota
                    Participant

I was diagnosed with Primary Lymphedema Tarda (onset after age 35), about a little more than a year after my melanoma diagnosis and SLNB.

It is severe, I have zero lymph fluid uptake in either leg.

Mine is not from the cancer or surgeries. My vascular doctor said I was born with an incomplete lymph system, and a possible explanation is that scar tissue formed over time on my lymph nodes from autoimmune disease.

I can't help but think there's some connection somewhere, but the science is not there. Yet. 

Minnesota
                      Participant

I was diagnosed with Primary Lymphedema Tarda (onset after age 35), about a little more than a year after my melanoma diagnosis and SLNB.

Mine is not from the cancer or surgeries. My vascular doctor said I was born with an incomplete lymph system, and a possible explanation is that scar tissue formed over time on my lymph nodes from autoimmune disease.

I can't help but think there's some connection somewhere, but the science is not there. Yet. 

Minnesota
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics