The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Has anybody in this community considered nanoknife IRE to reduce soft tissue tumor burden

Forums General Melanoma Community Has anybody in this community considered nanoknife IRE to reduce soft tissue tumor burden

Participant

I'm a stage IV melanoma patient who had original diagnosis in 2002 at stage 1b, and went to stage IV in November 2010.  I have two large tumors in my lungs, one in the hylum of my right lungs and one in the subcarinal region .  I tried carboplatim and paclitaxol in Jan-Mar, then two rounds (two cycles each) of IL2 in May and August.  The chemo only slowed the growth of the tumors for a few months.  The IL2 shrunk the tumor in the subcarinal space by about 40% so far, but only stabilized the growth of the tumor in the hylum temporarily.  It's growing again sl

I'm a stage IV melanoma patient who had original diagnosis in 2002 at stage 1b, and went to stage IV in November 2010.  I have two large tumors in my lungs, one in the hylum of my right lungs and one in the subcarinal region .  I tried carboplatim and paclitaxol in Jan-Mar, then two rounds (two cycles each) of IL2 in May and August.  The chemo only slowed the growth of the tumors for a few months.  The IL2 shrunk the tumor in the subcarinal space by about 40% so far, but only stabilized the growth of the tumor in the hylum temporarily.  It's growing again slowly which is very frustrating.

While I'm considering next steps, I'm intrigued by the NanoKnife but don't see any other posts on the board about this.  It uses irreversible electroporation to "melt" the tumor cells, but leaves other normal cells unharmed.  Unlike cryo or other ablation technologies, it leaves no scar tissue.  It seems like a great way to reduce or eliminate the tumor burden where my energized immune system is still not effective enough.

Two US hospitals with nanoknife experience (Baptist Health in MO and Beaumont in MI) have told me I'm not a candidate due to size and location.  A hospital in Australia has indicated that it would take some work but that they can successfully ablate the hylum tumor.

I'm wondering if anybody has seriously considered this technology or has used it to reduce tumor burden.  I've read several articles and seen the YouTube video from Shand at UF, but would appreciate some first-hand experience or the knowledge of others in the forum.   Thanks in advance.

Curt

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

Apparently the list you looked at was old.  Sloan-Kettering also has the device and many people on this board go there but I've never heard of it being used on Mel.  Anyway if interested look up Stephen B Soloman's Bio at S-K.

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
          Participant

Apparently the list you looked at was old.  Sloan-Kettering also has the device and many people on this board go there but I've never heard of it being used on Mel.  Anyway if interested look up Stephen B Soloman's Bio at S-K.

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
            Participant

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics