The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hard lump

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Hard lump

Participant
      Hi. Summer 2017 I was diagnosed with a Satage 1A Melanoma. It was pretty random. A tiny scab that wouldn’t heal on my right calf. Very small but it came back Melanoma and a month ago another mole came back atypical. Now I have developed a hard immobile pea sized lump under my left ear up by the jawline. Do you tell your melanoma doctor about this or do you call your normal physician. And what are the chances it is even related? Kinda is ruining my day fussing about it. I don’t like the “unknown” part of all of this. Like to me stage 1a should mean no worries go get checks but I find myself connecting all sort of weird dots. Is that normal or hypochondria?
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        pinky2001
        Participant

When in doubt, check it out…it will also reduce your worry.  I am Stage 1b.  I was told to check my lymph nodes monthly and if I feel any lump (pea size) in my nodes, to contact my dermatologist immediately.  Good luck!

guynamedbilly
          Participant
            I would definitely get a dermatologist to check it. They are more familiar with these kinds of things. Don’t worry about it definitely being bad yet though. Cysts are very common.
            cancersnewnormal
            Participant

Speak with both docs, and keep tabs on any changes in it's size. Continued increase in size would certainly indicate a need for biopsy. From your right calf to your jawline would be quite a distance for mel to have traveled via lymph system, without leaving a trail of additional swollen nodes behind. Buuuuut… there are those oddball "4 percenters" who leap from 1a to IV….. so have a doc look and palpate, if for no other reason than to have it documented on your records.  

jrtufo
              Participant

Have both ENT and dermatologist check it out.  If either one won't see you within a week or ten days, camp out in their reception area.  Hard lumps in that part of your face are nothing to wait and see about.  Make sure they measure it and keep a record of the measurement.  Sometimes we fool ourselves into thinking something is or is not growing-don't guess.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics