The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

halfway high dose interferon and feel totally exhausted

Forums General Melanoma Community halfway high dose interferon and feel totally exhausted

Participant

i'm just about to begin week 3 of high dose Inteferon IV and am totally whipped. it's all I can do to get up after sleeping 12 hours. i've started taking a nap within 2 hours of getting up. I've got no appetitie but am drinking protein shakes and peanut butter and toast. The meds are managing the side effects ok. i had a very high fever and severe chills after the first treatment but only slight chillls the following monday. my biggest challenge is appetite and fatigue. does anyone have any tips for getting thru the next two weeks? thankyou.

i'm just about to begin week 3 of high dose Inteferon IV and am totally whipped. it's all I can do to get up after sleeping 12 hours. i've started taking a nap within 2 hours of getting up. I've got no appetitie but am drinking protein shakes and peanut butter and toast. The meds are managing the side effects ok. i had a very high fever and severe chills after the first treatment but only slight chillls the following monday. my biggest challenge is appetite and fatigue. does anyone have any tips for getting thru the next two weeks? thankyou.

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        James from Sydney
        Participant

a couple of things that helped our son was to take his IV later in the day, he would then go home eat a little then go to bed for the night. Also i am sure you have been told lots of fluids, and bananas seem to help because of their Potassium which can help lessen side effects. Not sure if its fact or myth but seemed to help in our situation.

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
          Participant

a couple of things that helped our son was to take his IV later in the day, he would then go home eat a little then go to bed for the night. Also i am sure you have been told lots of fluids, and bananas seem to help because of their Potassium which can help lessen side effects. Not sure if its fact or myth but seemed to help in our situation.

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
            Participant

best wishes

James

ockelly
              Participant

How much water are you getting in per day?  Are they giving you IV fluids before each infusion?  If they're giving you 500ml ask if they'll give you a liter.  My husband TJ is 9 weeks from finishing his year.   He measures out a gallon of water a day and tries to get it in before the end of his workday. 

I have heard of some patients trying Ritalin during treatment.  It would help with your energy and the brain fog that many people experience as the weeks go on.  

Beginning week 3 means you get to start counting down the days…. half way there!!  I remember that milestone and it felt good!  Just think on Friday you'll be 75% done with the daily infusions.

Hang in there it will be different when the injections start. 

Kelly 

ockelly
                Participant

How much water are you getting in per day?  Are they giving you IV fluids before each infusion?  If they're giving you 500ml ask if they'll give you a liter.  My husband TJ is 9 weeks from finishing his year.   He measures out a gallon of water a day and tries to get it in before the end of his workday. 

I have heard of some patients trying Ritalin during treatment.  It would help with your energy and the brain fog that many people experience as the weeks go on.  

Beginning week 3 means you get to start counting down the days…. half way there!!  I remember that milestone and it felt good!  Just think on Friday you'll be 75% done with the daily infusions.

Kelly 

ockelly
                  Participant

Kelly 

akls
                    Participant

The point you are at was my worst point.  It got better by the last week.  You can do this.  Eat what tastes good to you and drink lots.  Listen to your body and don't feel bad about sleeping when you need to.  I really don't remember much about that month, but I remember being so glad it was over.  Keep up the good work and it will be over before you know it!

Amy S. in Michigan

Cooper
                        Participant

You can also end your interferon treatment.  It has not been proven to extend overall survival and if you are having terrible side affects you are better off getting your quality of life back and that will boost your immune system.  Talk to your doctor about ending this treatment and know that it is being prescribed less and less across the U.S…Many have chosen this path.

Cooper
                          Participant

You can also end your interferon treatment.  It has not been proven to extend overall survival and if you are having terrible side affects you are better off getting your quality of life back and that will boost your immune system.  Talk to your doctor about ending this treatment and know that it is being prescribed less and less across the U.S…Many have chosen this path.

Cooper
                            Participant

akls
                            Participant

The point you are at was my worst point.  It got better by the last week.  You can do this.  Eat what tastes good to you and drink lots.  Listen to your body and don't feel bad about sleeping when you need to.  I really don't remember much about that month, but I remember being so glad it was over.  Keep up the good work and it will be over before you know it!

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                              Participant

Amy S. in Michigan

Charlie S
                                Participant

The reason for fluids is to flush the intron through your body as fast as possible.  Don't worry about "flushing" it out equals dilution.  No matter how fast or slow it goes through, your body will metabolize it equally. 

One can easily determine if water intake is adequate.  What you want is water clear urine with no smell.  Urine is dark and stinks?  More water. Water intake will modify urine in less than an hour.  The importance of the fluid is the longer intron is in your body, the more pronounced the side effects…………………..so flush it on out and the time window is best four hours following infusion.  So clear your urine as soon as possible folowing infusion.

Three things about fatigue:

One is ask for a vitamin B-12 shot…………….you will be amazed: get the shot and not an  IV, IV makes more work and takes longer for the nurses.

Two, ask for an oxygen (O2) script, and when you are weary, huff up on the oxygen.

Three right after hitting the o2, go for a short, even three to five minute walk outdoors………….drag yourself if you must, but it WILL help knock down the fatigue.

As far as appetite, throw out the pizza and eat the box it came in………….it will taste better (kidding). .  Put your ensure or whatever your choice of nutrient drink is in the fridge until it is blistering cold, then chug it.

Keep going, you are almost there.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                  Participant

The reason for fluids is to flush the intron through your body as fast as possible.  Don't worry about "flushing" it out equals dilution.  No matter how fast or slow it goes through, your body will metabolize it equally. 

One can easily determine if water intake is adequate.  What you want is water clear urine with no smell.  Urine is dark and stinks?  More water. Water intake will modify urine in less than an hour.  The importance of the fluid is the longer intron is in your body, the more pronounced the side effects…………………..so flush it on out and the time window is best four hours following infusion.  So clear your urine as soon as possible folowing infusion.

One is ask for a vitamin B-12 shot…………….you will be amazed: get the shot and not an  IV, IV makes more work and takes longer for the nurses.

Two, ask for an oxygen (O2) script, and when you are weary, huff up on the oxygen.

Three right after hitting the o2, go for a short, even three to five minute walk outdoors………….drag yourself if you must, but it WILL help knock down the fatigue.

As far as appetite, throw out the pizza and eat the box it came in………….it will taste better (kidding). .  Put your ensure or whatever your choice of nutrient drink is in the fridge until it is blistering cold, then chug it.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                    Participant

Cheers,

Charlie S

marfda
                                      Participant

Know you are normal and it will get better! By week 3, I was crying when hubby woke me up and having anxiety attacks when I got to the chemo floor. Ativan through the IV was my new best friend. You are almost there. I went on ritalin to get me through the lower doses, but I doubt ritalin would have helped during the first month. If you need to function more than you currently are, it is worth a try!

marfda
                                        Participant

Know you are normal and it will get better! By week 3, I was crying when hubby woke me up and having anxiety attacks when I got to the chemo floor. Ativan through the IV was my new best friend. You are almost there. I went on ritalin to get me through the lower doses, but I doubt ritalin would have helped during the first month. If you need to function more than you currently are, it is worth a try!

marfda
                                          Participant

ClaudeM
                                            Participant

Hi,

I guess you treatment with ifn is done now?

I also went through a year of this 30 MIU induction, 18 MIU maintanence. A very high dose if you ask me.

You are back to normal by now right. I lost 35 pounds (16kg) in a year but got it back in about 4 months once my therapy stopped.

Now i am trying to do a research about all the people who went through this therapy in order to gain some info that could help people who are about to start the treatment or currently on it. Is anyone interested to participate in my research?

The ultimate goal  is to help other people with our stories , suggestions and understanding.

May you all be well,

Claude

ClaudeM
                                              Participant

Hi,

I also went through a year of this 30 MIU induction, 18 MIU maintanence. A very high dose if you ask me.

You are back to normal by now right. I lost 35 pounds (16kg) in a year but got it back in about 4 months once my therapy stopped.

Now i am trying to do a research about all the people who went through this therapy in order to gain some info that could help people who are about to start the treatment or currently on it. Is anyone interested to participate in my research?

The ultimate goal  is to help other people with our stories , suggestions and understanding.

May you all be well,

Claude

ClaudeM
                                                Participant

Hi,

May you all be well,

Claude

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics