The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Haemorrhagic intracranial metastases

Forums General Melanoma Community Haemorrhagic intracranial metastases

Participant

Can you have radiation therapy if a melanoma brain mets has started to bleed (causing an intracranial haemorrhagic stroke)?  Or should we wait until the scans show that the bleeding as slowed or stopped prior to starting radiation?  Just curious if the radiation would cause more bleeding and therefore swelling.

Thank you.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        cancersnewnormal
        Participant

Have you inquired with the doc as to what might be causing the brain mets to bleed? Is the patient on Nivo or Pembro? I would speak with a radiation oncologist for the best answers to your questions. Melanoma lesions in the brain are sometimes known to disintigrate or break apart as they die off… not necessarily growing smaller from the edges toward the center. It is entirely possible for radiated brain mets to "bleed out". This becomes a problem if there are too many of them, or they are large. I would be cautious with having targeted radiation therapy if there is already brain bleeding. Edema can also be a side effect of brain radiation, but I have had tumors with a great deal of edema (swollen prior to the radiation) gamma treated effectively.. actually reducing the surrounding edema post treatment as the tissue died off. 

cancersnewnormal
          Participant

Have you inquired with the doc as to what might be causing the brain mets to bleed? Is the patient on Nivo or Pembro? I would speak with a radiation oncologist for the best answers to your questions. Melanoma lesions in the brain are sometimes known to disintigrate or break apart as they die off… not necessarily growing smaller from the edges toward the center. It is entirely possible for radiated brain mets to "bleed out". This becomes a problem if there are too many of them, or they are large. I would be cautious with having targeted radiation therapy if there is already brain bleeding. Edema can also be a side effect of brain radiation, but I have had tumors with a great deal of edema (swollen prior to the radiation) gamma treated effectively.. actually reducing the surrounding edema post treatment as the tissue died off. 

cancersnewnormal
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics