The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Had surgery to remove malenoma can treatment stop there?

Forums General Melanoma Community Had surgery to remove malenoma can treatment stop there?

Participant

I was dianosed with melanoma on August 23 and had surgery to remove the surrounding tissue the next day.  The test came back clear on this mole.  It seems strange to me that treatment can stop here.  How do I know that there are not other moles that are melanoma?  Should I be pushing for other tests or does this seem normal to just remove the tissue and be done.  No blood test, nothing?  I am happy that they are saying my treatment is done but concerned after reading all the post on this site where there were other spots undetected.  Or that it had spead t

I was dianosed with melanoma on August 23 and had surgery to remove the surrounding tissue the next day.  The test came back clear on this mole.  It seems strange to me that treatment can stop here.  How do I know that there are not other moles that are melanoma?  Should I be pushing for other tests or does this seem normal to just remove the tissue and be done.  No blood test, nothing?  I am happy that they are saying my treatment is done but concerned after reading all the post on this site where there were other spots undetected.  Or that it had spead to other areas.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Sorry you had to find us here.  It sounds like you caught your melanoma very early.  Do you know the depth of your lesion?

As for just having surgery, that's really all there is for an early melanoma.  There are no blood tests for melanoma.  Certainly, you could have your GP do baseline tests, but they usually do that as part of an annual physical anyway.  Blood tests just really aren't that helpful. 

As for having other moles with melanoma, it just isn't that common.  Only about 8% of the melanoma population EVER have another melanoma primary.  It can happen, but it isn't all that likely.  The key thing to watch for is something that is very different from everything else, or something that is changing.  Those are things that are more suspicious for melanoma but they don't have to be melanoma.

I was diagnosed 18 years ago with an early melanoma.  I just had the WLE (wide local excision) like you.  Since then, I've had 2 other melanomas – both with just the WLE.  The last one was 9 years ago.   I'm still here, still early stage, living life but being watchful.

Life goes on and things get easier with time.  The key is to be vigilant, but not paranoid.  Practice sun safety and get on with life!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

Sorry you had to find us here.  It sounds like you caught your melanoma very early.  Do you know the depth of your lesion?

As for just having surgery, that's really all there is for an early melanoma.  There are no blood tests for melanoma.  Certainly, you could have your GP do baseline tests, but they usually do that as part of an annual physical anyway.  Blood tests just really aren't that helpful. 

As for having other moles with melanoma, it just isn't that common.  Only about 8% of the melanoma population EVER have another melanoma primary.  It can happen, but it isn't all that likely.  The key thing to watch for is something that is very different from everything else, or something that is changing.  Those are things that are more suspicious for melanoma but they don't have to be melanoma.

I was diagnosed 18 years ago with an early melanoma.  I just had the WLE (wide local excision) like you.  Since then, I've had 2 other melanomas – both with just the WLE.  The last one was 9 years ago.   I'm still here, still early stage, living life but being watchful.

Life goes on and things get easier with time.  The key is to be vigilant, but not paranoid.  Practice sun safety and get on with life!

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics