The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Had surgery to removal all lymph nodes and saliva gland on Tuesday

Forums General Melanoma Community Had surgery to removal all lymph nodes and saliva gland on Tuesday

Participant
      Havent posted in a little while, but I normally check the site daily but don’t have much to add as I’m fairly new to this horrendous cancer. I went on Tuesday to have my saliva gland removed and approximately 20 lymph nodes removed from my face and neck after I had a positive SLNB. Hoping this set comes back clear, but so far I haven’t been so lucky even having a melanoma of .93 it managed to make it to my SNLB. My face on that side is a little sunken in and I’m having a hard to eating anything of substance as my face is still numb and not moving very well on that side.

Havent posted in a little while, but I normally check the site daily but don’t have much to add as I’m fairly new to this horrendous cancer. I went on Tuesday to have my saliva gland removed and approximately 20 lymph nodes removed from my face and neck after I had a positive SLNB. Hoping this set comes back clear, but so far I haven’t been so lucky even having a melanoma of .93 it managed to make it to my SNLB. My face on that side is a little sunken in and I’m having a hard to eating anything of substance as my face is still numb and not moving very well on that side. I’m suppose to go and have my drain tube taken out next week. I’m hoping to get my facial movement back after the swelling goes down. I will post up the results when I get them. Thanks for everyone the post on this board as I always find really good information and your stories of survival give me great hope!

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        audgator
        Participant

Hi Joe,  Your surgery sounds similar to mine except mine was the  left side and the saliva glands were not involved. For me, not eating was a good thing because the 20 pounds I lost were NOT needed! Unfortunately a lot of them are back. I encourage you to get serious with the physical therapy if needed. I didn't hit it hard enough & I'm still a little stiff. Of course you are a LOT younger than me so you should do fine. I don't need to shave the site much but when I do its a strange feeling…very tingly. I wish you the very best.   Dan

audgator
          Participant

Hi Joe,  Your surgery sounds similar to mine except mine was the  left side and the saliva glands were not involved. For me, not eating was a good thing because the 20 pounds I lost were NOT needed! Unfortunately a lot of them are back. I encourage you to get serious with the physical therapy if needed. I didn't hit it hard enough & I'm still a little stiff. Of course you are a LOT younger than me so you should do fine. I don't need to shave the site much but when I do its a strange feeling…very tingly. I wish you the very best.   Dan

audgator
            Participant

MissJenn
              Participant

I know how you feel about not being so lucky…with a .93 and it having tested positive to lymph nodes.  Mine was .92 and they almost don't check your SNL with <1mm so I guess on the bright side, thank Heaven we didn't forego the SNL biopsy.  It's most likely mitotic rate that pushed your's to your lymph node…was it high?  Mine was 4…  anyone over .82 with a high mitotic rate of the primary should get the SNL biopsy I read.  This is an unbelievable new world isn't it?  I pray for the best with your recovery…Shaving SUCKS afterwards so I feel for you having to shave your face…Time for a beard for a while πŸ˜‰

MissJenn
                Participant

I know how you feel about not being so lucky…with a .93 and it having tested positive to lymph nodes.  Mine was .92 and they almost don't check your SNL with <1mm so I guess on the bright side, thank Heaven we didn't forego the SNL biopsy.  It's most likely mitotic rate that pushed your's to your lymph node…was it high?  Mine was 4…  anyone over .82 with a high mitotic rate of the primary should get the SNL biopsy I read.  This is an unbelievable new world isn't it?  I pray for the best with your recovery…Shaving SUCKS afterwards so I feel for you having to shave your face…Time for a beard for a while πŸ˜‰

MissJenn
                  Participant

Fen
                    Participant

Keeping my fingers crossed that the results come back clear – please do post them if you feel like it.  

I had a similar surgery 6 years ago – salivary gland and all.  I wanted to warn you about Fry's syndrome because it scared the heck out of me.  About 6 months after the surgery I started feeling fluid on my cheek and neck.  Of course, I assumed that it somehow meant melanoma was back.  It turned out that when you remove a salivary gland the nerves that stimulated it will now stimulate sweat glands.  There are fixes for it if it gets bad – mine doesn't so in the whole scheme of things it isn't a big deal AND doesn't happen to everyone.

I'll be thinking of you, Joe, and hoping everything works out.

Fen

Fen
                      Participant

Keeping my fingers crossed that the results come back clear – please do post them if you feel like it.  

I had a similar surgery 6 years ago – salivary gland and all.  I wanted to warn you about Fry's syndrome because it scared the heck out of me.  About 6 months after the surgery I started feeling fluid on my cheek and neck.  Of course, I assumed that it somehow meant melanoma was back.  It turned out that when you remove a salivary gland the nerves that stimulated it will now stimulate sweat glands.  There are fixes for it if it gets bad – mine doesn't so in the whole scheme of things it isn't a big deal AND doesn't happen to everyone.

Fen

Fen
                        Participant

Fen

94z28joe
                          Participant
                            Thanks everyone for the replies yeah after my SNLB my face was numb and shaving was weird I’m in the military so not shaving isn’t really much of an option for me I wish it was thought.
                            94z28joe
                            Participant
                              Thanks everyone for the replies yeah after my SNLB my face was numb and shaving was weird I’m in the military so not shaving isn’t really much of an option for me I wish it was thought.
                              94z28joe
                              Participant
                                s Mom
                                Participant

My son had very similar surgery last year at this time (read profile).  His whole salivary gland was removed with very little paralysis. He had a crooked smile for a while, but not bad.  It didn't take too long to recover from the surgeries – about 1 month.

Unfortunately, his cancer returned and he is now enduring IL2 treatment – brutal πŸ™

I wish you the best – many many many years of NED!!

Jeff's Mom

s Mom
                                  Participant

My son had very similar surgery last year at this time (read profile).  His whole salivary gland was removed with very little paralysis. He had a crooked smile for a while, but not bad.  It didn't take too long to recover from the surgeries – about 1 month.

Unfortunately, his cancer returned and he is now enduring IL2 treatment – brutal πŸ™

Jeff's Mom

s Mom
                                    Participant

Jeff's Mom

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics