The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Had my thyroid scan today

Forums General Melanoma Community Had my thyroid scan today

Participant

I posted earlier in the week about my thyroid being enlarged.  They found at least two nodules on my scan one of which was "cold".  They sent me right over to ultrasound which dectected the nodules also.  Needless to say off to a biopsy at U of M for me within the next couple weeks.  Did anyone have actual nodules that turned out to be nothing?  I know the stats are in my favor, but can't help but being freaked out right now. 

Amy S. in Michigan

I posted earlier in the week about my thyroid being enlarged.  They found at least two nodules on my scan one of which was "cold".  They sent me right over to ultrasound which dectected the nodules also.  Needless to say off to a biopsy at U of M for me within the next couple weeks.  Did anyone have actual nodules that turned out to be nothing?  I know the stats are in my favor, but can't help but being freaked out right now. 

Amy S. in Michigan

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Amy,

In 06 when I had my first recurrance my PET/CT showed up a nodule. Since I was going into a trial they biopsied it.  I was told I had hashimotos disease and it was suggested that I was followed by an endocronologist.  He then continued to scan my thyroid once a year.   In Oct.of 10 my PET showed an increase in the uptake in the nodule.  Since I was in the hospital at the time to have a biopsy on recurrance #5 they also biopsied the thyroid again.  The ultrasound showed it had doubled in size but the results still show Hashimoto's.  Had an ultrasound yesterday and it has now shrunk 1mm.

My first endocronologist suggested about a year ago when they saw some growth to go on synthroid. I tried it for a few days and just didn't like how I felt and went off of it.  We have since moved. This endo has told me that studies have proven that Synthroid does not shrink a nodule and to only take it if bloodwork warrents. Mine does not.  Just wanted to throw that in on you to think about if they suggest you take the medication. Once on it your basically on it for life.

So, mine proved to be nothing even though it has lit up on the PET since 06!!  I hope yours is the same!  I've had one biopsy with some form of local novicaine and one without. Do yourself a favor and if it's not offered ask for a local! Also, they can give you a preliminary read right after the biopsy.  This last time they took 5 samples to make sure that they had a good representation of what was going on.

Linda

Stage IV since 06   stable

akls
            Participant

Linda,

Thanks so much for your reply.  I will ask for a local.  Did they at least give you something to calm you down during the biopsy?  The idea of a needle biopsy to my neck makes me a little woosy.  Did they give you synthroid because your bloodwork showed hypo? Mine has been diagnosed hypo based on bloodwork, but it's not "off the charts" t free 4 a little out of normal on low end, tsh a little out of normal on the high end.  Don't know what I'd do without the wonderful people on this board.

Amy S. in Michigan

lhaley
              Participant

Unfortunately they did not give me anything to calm me down, but I hadn't asked either. Actually the biopsy that followed – lymph node under the clavicle – was the one that blew my mind away!!  The thyroid biopsy only takes minutes and for me it's not worth it to ruin my day. If I take meds I'm out of it for hours!! 

The original Dr. gave me synthroid to shrink the nodule, my bloodwork has always been fine.  

Didn't you do interfuron?  I didn't but I believe that can get the throid out of wack.

The board has kept me sane also!!

Linda

lhaley
                Participant

Unfortunately they did not give me anything to calm me down, but I hadn't asked either. Actually the biopsy that followed – lymph node under the clavicle – was the one that blew my mind away!!  The thyroid biopsy only takes minutes and for me it's not worth it to ruin my day. If I take meds I'm out of it for hours!! 

The original Dr. gave me synthroid to shrink the nodule, my bloodwork has always been fine.  

Didn't you do interfuron?  I didn't but I believe that can get the throid out of wack.

The board has kept me sane also!!

Linda

akls
                  Participant

Linda,

Thanks so much for your reply.  I will ask for a local.  Did they at least give you something to calm you down during the biopsy?  The idea of a needle biopsy to my neck makes me a little woosy.  Did they give you synthroid because your bloodwork showed hypo? Mine has been diagnosed hypo based on bloodwork, but it's not "off the charts" t free 4 a little out of normal on low end, tsh a little out of normal on the high end.  Don't know what I'd do without the wonderful people on this board.

Amy S. in Michigan

lhaley
                  Participant

Amy,

In 06 when I had my first recurrance my PET/CT showed up a nodule. Since I was going into a trial they biopsied it.  I was told I had hashimotos disease and it was suggested that I was followed by an endocronologist.  He then continued to scan my thyroid once a year.   In Oct.of 10 my PET showed an increase in the uptake in the nodule.  Since I was in the hospital at the time to have a biopsy on recurrance #5 they also biopsied the thyroid again.  The ultrasound showed it had doubled in size but the results still show Hashimoto's.  Had an ultrasound yesterday and it has now shrunk 1mm.

My first endocronologist suggested about a year ago when they saw some growth to go on synthroid. I tried it for a few days and just didn't like how I felt and went off of it.  We have since moved. This endo has told me that studies have proven that Synthroid does not shrink a nodule and to only take it if bloodwork warrents. Mine does not.  Just wanted to throw that in on you to think about if they suggest you take the medication. Once on it your basically on it for life.

So, mine proved to be nothing even though it has lit up on the PET since 06!!  I hope yours is the same!  I've had one biopsy with some form of local novicaine and one without. Do yourself a favor and if it's not offered ask for a local! Also, they can give you a preliminary read right after the biopsy.  This last time they took 5 samples to make sure that they had a good representation of what was going on.

Linda

Stage IV since 06   stable

Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics