The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Had a recurrence – desmoplastic melanoma? Sarcoma?

Forums General Melanoma Community Had a recurrence – desmoplastic melanoma? Sarcoma?

Participant

A few weeks ago, I had surgery to remove a lump on my neck that showed up basically right in the middle of where my radical neck dissection had taken place in December 2013. I was originally staged 3C. I went through a clinical trial where I received Yervoy, but I was kicked out of the trial after 6 doses because I developed severe endocrine issues. I got my pathology report back today, and the lump came back malignant. The problem is that they aren't sure what kind of cancer it is.. either it's a desmoplastic melanoma (my original melanoma was NOT desmoplastic), a melanoma recurrence, or a sarcoma. For now, they're calling it a malignant spindle cell tumor because the pathologists aren't sure. Apparently I'm a weird case. I'm headed back to Vanderbilt next week, but I was wondering if maybe anyone had any experience or insight into any of this.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        CHRISNYC
        Participant

Heidi,  I'm experienced in having several opinions about pathology. I was treated for melenoma 30 years ago and had no issues after excision of the early detection of a mole.   18 months ago I had symptoms that included a lymph node that was sent for pathology., after several different doctors reviewed the sample I was diognosed with a saroma.  This after mentioning the earlier melenoma.   Anyway I was treated for saroma fo many months with chemotherapy until the lymph swelling was reduced.   Then surgery with new pathology.  Well this time I was told the melenoma was still an issue.  oh now I have melenoma?   Anyway I'm mow completing a study treatment and have been doing well.   Anyway my recommendation is get several opinions and perhaps get additional material tested.  It's not fun to be treated for the wrong deaese.  Keep pushing.  Chris.  

DianaD
            Participant

I agree with Chris' recommendation.  If I were in your situation, I would seek as many opinions as I could, from lead cancer centers, especially those with melanoma specialties.  

DianaD
              Participant

I agree with Chris' recommendation.  If I were in your situation, I would seek as many opinions as I could, from lead cancer centers, especially those with melanoma specialties.  

DianaD
                Participant

CHRISNYC
                Participant

Heidi,  I'm experienced in having several opinions about pathology. I was treated for melenoma 30 years ago and had no issues after excision of the early detection of a mole.   18 months ago I had symptoms that included a lymph node that was sent for pathology., after several different doctors reviewed the sample I was diognosed with a saroma.  This after mentioning the earlier melenoma.   Anyway I was treated for saroma fo many months with chemotherapy until the lymph swelling was reduced.   Then surgery with new pathology.  Well this time I was told the melenoma was still an issue.  oh now I have melenoma?   Anyway I'm mow completing a study treatment and have been doing well.   Anyway my recommendation is get several opinions and perhaps get additional material tested.  It's not fun to be treated for the wrong deaese.  Keep pushing.  Chris.  

CHRISNYC
                  Participant

DZnDef
                    Participant

Ask them to send your sample to another dermapatholgist (maybe Mayo or Stanford) for another opinion.  My first tumor was diagnosed as "atypical spindle cell carcinoid" in my lung.  Doc said 95% likely I was cured by the surgery.  Recurrence just over a year later in the other lung.  Lung needle biopsy said "metastatic malignant melanoma".  So they re-checked the first tumor and …. oops!  That one was melanoma too.  Different cancers respond to different treatments so accurate diagnosis is important.  I had no idea that it would be so challenging for them to figure it out with the tumor sitting right in front of them.

lmhl
                        Participant

I agree with Maggie.  Get a second pathology opinion.  I have been to many dermatology conferences and have heard that advice serveral times.  Pathology is not a perfect science.  Worth a second look.

lmhl
                          Participant

I agree with Maggie.  Get a second pathology opinion.  I have been to many dermatology conferences and have heard that advice serveral times.  Pathology is not a perfect science.  Worth a second look.

lmhl
                            Participant

DZnDef
                            Participant

Ask them to send your sample to another dermapatholgist (maybe Mayo or Stanford) for another opinion.  My first tumor was diagnosed as "atypical spindle cell carcinoid" in my lung.  Doc said 95% likely I was cured by the surgery.  Recurrence just over a year later in the other lung.  Lung needle biopsy said "metastatic malignant melanoma".  So they re-checked the first tumor and …. oops!  That one was melanoma too.  Different cancers respond to different treatments so accurate diagnosis is important.  I had no idea that it would be so challenging for them to figure it out with the tumor sitting right in front of them.

DZnDef
                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics