The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

GSK BRAF with randomized MEK trial—then what?

Forums General Melanoma Community GSK BRAF with randomized MEK trial—then what?

Participant

My husband has been on this trial at UCSF for 26 weeks now.  His tumors have been reduced by over 74% and have gone from a total of over 15 cm to slightly over 3 cm.  He has had 3 PET scans, and there has been improvement each time, although it has been less dramatic each time.

My husband has been on this trial at UCSF for 26 weeks now.  His tumors have been reduced by over 74% and have gone from a total of over 15 cm to slightly over 3 cm.  He has had 3 PET scans, and there has been improvement each time, although it has been less dramatic each time.

Although I am thrilled, I am concerned about all of the comments that this treatment causes only temporary results.  What is the plan b?  When do we know that it is time to pursue another course of action?  Is the BRAF/MEK treatment always just temporary?  Since 77% of the patients from the Roche trials are still living, how do we know this to be true?

Thanks for any insight or advice.

Deborah

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        killmel
        Participant

Hi Deborah,

I am a newbie. It is so great to hear your husband has such a great response on BRAF/MEK

I am very interested in this Braf/MEK trial.

1. Is the trial your hubsand on GSK or Roche sponsored?

2. If possible, do you know the NCT clinical trial number?

I live in southern california & would be willing to travel to UCSF.

3. If possible, would you give me a contact number at UCSF for this trial.

God Bless you & your husband.

Thank you for responding to my questions.

Dave

killmel
          Participant

Hi Deborah,

I am a newbie. It is so great to hear your husband has such a great response on BRAF/MEK

I am very interested in this Braf/MEK trial.

1. Is the trial your hubsand on GSK or Roche sponsored?

2. If possible, do you know the NCT clinical trial number?

I live in southern california & would be willing to travel to UCSF.

3. If possible, would you give me a contact number at UCSF for this trial.

God Bless you & your husband.

Thank you for responding to my questions.

Dave

mommydog
              Participant

Dave,

The trial no. is NCT01072175.  It is sponsored by GSK and they are still recruiting.  According to the info on the gov. site, the trial is being conducted in several places, including Southern Ca.

Here's a link to the info in clinicaltrials.gov

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01072175?term=melanoma+mek&spons=%22GlaxoSmithKline%22&spons_ex=Y&rank=4

Let me know if there's any other informaiton that I can provide.

Deborah

killmel
                Participant

Hi,

Thank you so much for the info.I called the site in Los Angles and they are NOT recruiting for melanoma patients anymore. They are recruiting for other types of cancer.

Do you know if UCSF is still recruiting for melanoma patients. I cannot find a number to call UCSF. Would you have a contact number for UCSF.

Thanks,

Dave

mommydog
                  Participant

Andrea Kantor

Clinical Research Coordinator

Cutaneous Oncology Program

UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center

Investigational Trials Resource

Room A736| Box 1297

415.885.3855 /phone

415.514.6969 /fax

[email protected]

try this, and good luck.

killmel
                    Participant

Thank you so much for the info.

How have the side effects of these 2 drugs (BRAF & MEK) been for your husband??

I pray he continues to respond to these drugs.

Dave

mommydog
                      Participant

Not bad.  He has had some fevers and chills, at times quite severe, but those symptoms have subsided.

peterk
                        Participant

Hi All,

My wife is considering entering this trial, I believe it's a newer version of GSK BRAF with MEK.

We have some reservations re side effects and effectiveness, given there is no defined time and

It would reassure us if we knew there are people out there taking this for well over a year or two with good effects.

Believing we will overcome this.

Regards

Peter

peterk
                          Participant

Hi All,

My wife is considering entering this trial, I believe it's a newer version of GSK BRAF with MEK.

We have some reservations re side effects and effectiveness, given there is no defined time and

It would reassure us if we knew there are people out there taking this for well over a year or two with good effects.

Regards

Peter

peterk
                            Participant

Hi All,

Regards

Peter

mommydog
                              Participant

Not bad.  He has had some fevers and chills, at times quite severe, but those symptoms have subsided.

killmel
                                Participant

Thank you so much for the info.

How have the side effects of these 2 drugs (BRAF & MEK) been for your husband??

I pray he continues to respond to these drugs.

Dave

mommydog
                                  Participant

Andrea Kantor

Clinical Research Coordinator

Cutaneous Oncology Program

UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center

Investigational Trials Resource

Room A736| Box 1297

415.885.3855 /phone

415.514.6969 /fax

[email protected]

try this, and good luck.

killmel
                                    Participant

Hi,

Thank you so much for the info.I called the site in Los Angles and they are NOT recruiting for melanoma patients anymore. They are recruiting for other types of cancer.

Do you know if UCSF is still recruiting for melanoma patients. I cannot find a number to call UCSF. Would you have a contact number for UCSF.

Thanks,

Dave

mommydog
                                      Participant

Dave,

The trial no. is NCT01072175.  It is sponsored by GSK and they are still recruiting.  According to the info on the gov. site, the trial is being conducted in several places, including Southern Ca.

Here's a link to the info in clinicaltrials.gov

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01072175?term=melanoma+mek&spons=%22GlaxoSmithKline%22&spons_ex=Y&rank=4

Let me know if there's any other informaiton that I can provide.

Deborah

Tadams
                                        Participant
                                          Call UCLA, to make an appointment with Dr. Antoni Ribas 310-794-4955. My husband (stage iv) started the MEK/Braf combo a week and a half ago. Good results so far. I’m hoping it’s not temporary as well.

Prayers & Blessings,
                                          Tam

Tadams
                                          Participant
                                            Call UCLA, to make an appointment with Dr. Antoni Ribas 310-794-4955. My husband (stage iv) started the MEK/Braf combo a week and a half ago. Good results so far. I’m hoping it’s not temporary as well.

Prayers & Blessings,
                                            Tam

JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

The reports seldom give the maximum effective time for the BRAF treatments.  This is because some  of the early trial patients are still reponding., not a majority, but some.  They are not at a pointthat they can say that ALL will ultimately relapse.  Time will tell and maybe by that tiime they will have blocked the secondary paths (MEK may extend the % of people over the current % that have longer term results than the Median from the early studies.  Never say always withanything about Melanoma!  Good luck, prayinf for you and your husband.

peterk
                                              Participant

Are there any preliminary results from this trial available anywhere?

What is the longest effectiveness, if know at this point?

Can someone who took part in the trail provide an up to date info please –

Peter

I have heard that some have made the two year mark. I am just finishing month 15, and doing well. New scans in March 19, 2012 so one never should be too confident much less cocky about it. I have not become NED but those suckers in my lungs sure shrunk. I had a bout with EN (eruythema nodostum) which was just a lot of lumps and bumps on my legs. some had to drop out for the side affects, and others had the tumors start to grow again.
                                                I have heard that some have made the two year mark. I am just finishing month 15, and doing well. New scans in March 19, 2012 so one never should be too confident much less cocky about it. I have not become NED but those suckers in my lungs sure shrunk. I had a bout with EN (eruythema nodostum) which was just a lot of lumps and bumps on my legs. some had to drop out for the side affects, and others had the tumors start to grow again.
                                                peterk
                                                Participant

Peter

peterk
                                                  Participant

Peter

JerryfromFauq
                                                  Participant

The reports seldom give the maximum effective time for the BRAF treatments.  This is because some  of the early trial patients are still reponding., not a majority, but some.  They are not at a pointthat they can say that ALL will ultimately relapse.  Time will tell and maybe by that tiime they will have blocked the secondary paths (MEK may extend the % of people over the current % that have longer term results than the Median from the early studies.  Never say always withanything about Melanoma!  Good luck, prayinf for you and your husband.

mommydog
                                                    Participant

My husband has been on this trial (GSK BRAF with randomized MEK) for over eight months now.  As of the last PET scan three weeks ago, his tumors had decreased in size by 81.7%.  Basically, there's very little left.  He is doing so well that he was given permission to go ahead with knee replacement surgery.  As far as we've heard, people are responding well to this treatment with few side effects.  There was a recent article in the SF Chronicle about a women in my husband's study who has been in the trial for 9 months and has had tumor reduction of 85%.  I think I'm just going to stop thinking about the other shoe dropping, because, for now, things are great.

Deborah

peterk
                                                        Participant

Many thanks. That's really good news. My wife has just started here in Australia.

Peter

peterk
                                                          Participant

Many thanks. That's really good news. My wife has just started here in Australia.

Peter

peterk
                                                            Participant

Peter

mommydog
                                                            Participant

My husband has been on this trial (GSK BRAF with randomized MEK) for over eight months now.  As of the last PET scan three weeks ago, his tumors had decreased in size by 81.7%.  Basically, there's very little left.  He is doing so well that he was given permission to go ahead with knee replacement surgery.  As far as we've heard, people are responding well to this treatment with few side effects.  There was a recent article in the SF Chronicle about a women in my husband's study who has been in the trial for 9 months and has had tumor reduction of 85%.  I think I'm just going to stop thinking about the other shoe dropping, because, for now, things are great.

Deborah

mommydog
                                                              Participant

Deborah

Viewing 6 reply threads
                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics