The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ground glass opacity (GGO) on lungs, experience?

Forums General Melanoma Community Ground glass opacity (GGO) on lungs, experience?

Participant
      Has anyone had these opacities show up on a scan? What was your outcome?
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        stevek1959x
        Participant
          I’ve got two that showed up on my first scan almost two years ago. My oncologist wasn’t worried as these were very small but said we would watch them. It always make me worry when they say to “watch” something. Anyway, they have not changed and are stable. My wife also had some show up prior to her stem cell transplant. The Mayo was somewhat more concerned but after another scan plus some other tests, the proceeded with the transplant. These also remained stable.
          Bubbles
          Participant
            “Ground glass appearance” is the term radiologists use to describe the condition of pneumonitis – inflammation and irritation in the lungs – a known side effect of immunotherapy. It comes in varying degrees from affected patients being almost asypmtomatic to having wheeze, cough and shortness of breath. Likewise, if the effect on the patient is minimal no change is really instituted and they carry on with treatment. Those who are more affected may need some treatment – albuterol inhalers and steroid inhalers, pretty much how asthmatics are treated – can be very helpful. If pneumonitis is more significant it can be life threatening and needs to be treated with systemic steroids and immunotherapy may need a “holiday” or have to be stopped completely.

I wheezed and coughed through my entire immunotherapy treatment with “ground glass appearance” frequently used to describe my lungs on CT. I treated it as noted above for asthmatics and luckily it never worsened to the point that I required systemic steroids or a break in therapy. Here are lots of reports if you are interested: https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=pneumonitis

This report includes a link to a PDF that provides an algorithm for treatment of pulmonary side effects: http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/07/excellent-pdf-on-how-to-deal-with.html

Hope that helps. Celeste

texasgirl
              Participant
                Thank you, you’ve provided great helpful info!

Thanks to the previous responder, Steve, too! I’m feeling much better about things.. at least I know what they are!

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics