The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Groin lump-scared

Forums General Melanoma Community Groin lump-scared

Participant

I was diagnosed with stage 1b in May 2016 and only had the WLE completed, was told no to the sentinel nose biopsy. Mine melanoma was .55 Clark 3 and mitotic of 3 on left shoulder. Beginning of December I felt a lump on my right groin lymph node area. I went the next day to my primary care doctor who thought it was not a lymph node but possible a deep boil/cyst/zit. It seemed to go away after quite awhile however it's back (or maybe it never left just was not as noticeable). I saw my endocrinologist today for my diabetes and she did her residence in endo cancers at md Anderson. She said it's definitely a lymph node. It's not tender and it's hard…..very nervous and scared. I see my melanoma derm on 1/13 and going back to primary care this afternoon. With my staging I've just felt I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and now feeling like it has. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Left shoulder to right groin – not a likely spread for melanoma.  Won't say it can't happen, but you'd more likely have lymph spread in the armpit, neck or clavicle area, not the groin nodes.  Don't jump to conclusions – melanoma in a lymph node isn't likely to get smaller or less noticeable. 

PFritz
            Participant

It is hard not to jump to conclusions or fears. My family has a bad cancer history and I already had a crappy immune system with being a diabetic I don't like the watch and wait to see if it spreads attitude. Trying not to have the waiting for other shoe to drop mentality but it's hard and when found the lump this month has freaked me out!

casagrayson
              Participant

Janner's right … that would be a very unlikely spread.  You are doing the right thing by getting it checked out further, but don't jump to the conclusion that everything that comes up is related to melanoma!  Life is too short to let anxiety rule the day.

casagrayson
                Participant

Janner's right … that would be a very unlikely spread.  You are doing the right thing by getting it checked out further, but don't jump to the conclusion that everything that comes up is related to melanoma!  Life is too short to let anxiety rule the day.

casagrayson
                  Participant

PFritz
                    Participant

It is hard not to jump to conclusions or fears. My family has a bad cancer history and I already had a crappy immune system with being a diabetic I don't like the watch and wait to see if it spreads attitude. Trying not to have the waiting for other shoe to drop mentality but it's hard and when found the lump this month has freaked me out!

PFritz
                      Participant

Janner
                      Participant

Left shoulder to right groin – not a likely spread for melanoma.  Won't say it can't happen, but you'd more likely have lymph spread in the armpit, neck or clavicle area, not the groin nodes.  Don't jump to conclusions – melanoma in a lymph node isn't likely to get smaller or less noticeable. 

Janner
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics