The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Great Improvement, and great hope, very little side effects with vemurafenib.

Forums General Melanoma Community Great Improvement, and great hope, very little side effects with vemurafenib.

Participant

Ok, so my wife went on the B RAF medication about 35 days ago. We saw a complete turnaround in energy, appetite and conditions starting in about 3 days. We went back to Chicago for her 28 day review, and tumors are shrinking, she's eating again, and did simple things like went to the grocery store, went to a family reunion and out to Applebees. I know it doesn't sound like much, but she hadn't done any of those things in months. She even drove her car for the first time.

Ok, so my wife went on the B RAF medication about 35 days ago. We saw a complete turnaround in energy, appetite and conditions starting in about 3 days. We went back to Chicago for her 28 day review, and tumors are shrinking, she's eating again, and did simple things like went to the grocery store, went to a family reunion and out to Applebees. I know it doesn't sound like much, but she hadn't done any of those things in months. She even drove her car for the first time.

As far as side effects, luckily, there haven't been many, like some others have reported here. She got a pretty good sunburn the other day, even after using 50 or 100 spf, hats, etc… but that is getting better now. She might be a little sore or tired, but we're not sure if it's the meds or not.

She did get 3 new spots, which they biopsied last Friday. We're pretty sure they're the squamous cell spots they told us about.

A new spot a few months ago was pretty depressing, now new spots are "Psssh, no big deal" (Knock on wood) We know this isn't a permanent cure, but she's going to make the most of her time here.

We are so happy with her local Onc, Dr Amatruda in Minnesota and her "study" Doctor, Dr Hallmeyer in Chicago. Teri got a big hug from Dr Hallmeyer last Friday, who was excited to hear of a(nother) success story.

As I'm writing this, I'm acutely aware of others who have not found an answer, temporary or permanent, and I still empathize with them. Especially those without the B RAF mutation.  So if it's possible, I'd like to share some good news with those who need it and share some hope for those who are still searching.

Steve & Teri

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Laurie from maine
        Participant

hi,

Thats great especialy that she is feeling so much better and getting out and enjoying life more.

I started Braf last week doing my clinical trial thru Mass General with Dr Lawrence, and have been feeling fine too.  Already lump that was in my breast is almost gone and my cough is a lot less(have tumor liver, lung, bones)  I do have fatigue now and then but other than that no real side effects yet.  They did warn me also about huge sun senstivity, rashes and squamous spots showing up, but maybe too early for that to happen yet.  Fingers crossed we both continue to feel good and enjoy life!!

keep us posted

laurie from maine 🙂

boot2aboot
            Participant

excellent news this is…i too know it is no cure but anything to make me hopeful again…i was told from my onc that braf meds are due out any day now…i think she called it borifab…i go tuesday to see if i can get into braf/mek study in tampa…also checking karmonos for their braf trial…

boots

dutchhook
              Participant

Good luck! let everyone know how it's going

dutchhook
                Participant

Good luck! let everyone know how it's going

boot2aboot
                  Participant

excellent news this is…i too know it is no cure but anything to make me hopeful again…i was told from my onc that braf meds are due out any day now…i think she called it borifab…i go tuesday to see if i can get into braf/mek study in tampa…also checking karmonos for their braf trial…

boots

Laurie from maine
                  Participant

hi,

Thats great especialy that she is feeling so much better and getting out and enjoying life more.

I started Braf last week doing my clinical trial thru Mass General with Dr Lawrence, and have been feeling fine too.  Already lump that was in my breast is almost gone and my cough is a lot less(have tumor liver, lung, bones)  I do have fatigue now and then but other than that no real side effects yet.  They did warn me also about huge sun senstivity, rashes and squamous spots showing up, but maybe too early for that to happen yet.  Fingers crossed we both continue to feel good and enjoy life!!

keep us posted

laurie from maine 🙂

Karin L
                    Participant

Great news!  Isn't Dr. Hallmeyer great?  My Dr. is Dr. J. Richards at the same facility, but I often see both.  I go back in a couple of weeks for a follow up scan and hopefully it continues to be good news also.

Karin

dutchhook
                        Participant

I think we saw Dr Richards walking around last Friday. Everyone has been great. Before we went to the clinic, I was expecting this fancy glass & steel structure for advanced biomedical studies.

I looked it up online and it was a strip mall! I posted on our caringbridge site that if we got there and there was a subway and a dollar store, I would turn right around. Sure enough, there's a subway and a dollar store! We went in anyway. (of course). Susan and Emily helped get through some seemingly impossible insurance problems. Dr Hallmeyer said it's hard not to get too excited with new patients so she doesn't get their hopes too high,

dutchhook
                          Participant

I think we saw Dr Richards walking around last Friday. Everyone has been great. Before we went to the clinic, I was expecting this fancy glass & steel structure for advanced biomedical studies.

I looked it up online and it was a strip mall! I posted on our caringbridge site that if we got there and there was a subway and a dollar store, I would turn right around. Sure enough, there's a subway and a dollar store! We went in anyway. (of course). Susan and Emily helped get through some seemingly impossible insurance problems. Dr Hallmeyer said it's hard not to get too excited with new patients so she doesn't get their hopes too high,

Karin L
                          Participant

Great news!  Isn't Dr. Hallmeyer great?  My Dr. is Dr. J. Richards at the same facility, but I often see both.  I go back in a couple of weeks for a follow up scan and hopefully it continues to be good news also.

Karin

Viewing 3 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics