The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Got some bad news this Christmas

Forums General Melanoma Community Got some bad news this Christmas

Participant

Hello everybody,

After reading this forum, I thought I'd introduce myself. I was diagnosed with melanoma last week. It is 0.94 mm deep (and not 0.94 cm as I was told over the phone). So stage 1, but barely. According to my doctor, no ulceration and not aggresive (I take that to mean that the mitotic division was low). Going in for SNB next week.

I am 34 and got a 6 month old baby at home. Was going to have one more, but it seems that pregnancy may make melanoma come back. Don't know. All is new and scary.

Wish me god luck! I am sorry we have connected under such circumstances.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Nemesis
        Participant

I forgot to add that doctor think I've got about 10% chances of the melanoma having spread to the lymph node.

Nemesis
          Participant

I forgot to add that doctor think I've got about 10% chances of the melanoma having spread to the lymph node.

Kenkussions
              Participant

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I just received my first ever diagnosis on  12/19/2016 and have a little one at home as well. I go in for a wle on Tuesday and am praying that will be the end of it. I've been so sad/ nervous this week so I know what you are going through but this forum has already helped me feel a little better. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Dreaf01
                Participant

I also got my diagnosis on the 19th and am scheduled for a WLE on Thursday also. I am scared out of my mind about the end results as I am a new mommy to a 7month old :-(. I feel your pain. I think I am making myself physically sick with worry.

Dreaf01
                  Participant

I also got my diagnosis on the 19th and am scheduled for a WLE on Thursday also. I am scared out of my mind about the end results as I am a new mommy to a 7month old :-(. I feel your pain. I think I am making myself physically sick with worry.

Dreaf01
                    Participant

Nemesis
                      Participant

Really makes you wonder if there is a connection between pregnancy and melanoma.

Nemesis
                        Participant

Really makes you wonder if there is a connection between pregnancy and melanoma.

Nemesis
                          Participant

Kenkussions
                            Participant

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I just received my first ever diagnosis on  12/19/2016 and have a little one at home as well. I go in for a wle on Tuesday and am praying that will be the end of it. I've been so sad/ nervous this week so I know what you are going through but this forum has already helped me feel a little better. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Kenkussions
                              Participant

Nemesis
                              Participant

Janner
                                Participant

Stage Ib goes to 2mm as long as you don't have ulceration.  You are well within stage I.  Sorry you have to join us here and good luck on the SNB.

Sophietx
                                    Participant

Sorry for the bad news! But great that all of you are stage 1. I also wonder between the connection of pregnancy and melanoma. I was diagnosed with melanoma in Situ last month. Looking back on photos – my melanoma was on my upper chest so I could see it on a lot of photos. It started as a black dot shortly after my 2nd pregnancy and remained in situ for 12 years. We have no other history in our family. My almost 13 year old has a lot of moles including a large dark mole in his belly button that we can't monitor. So we are having it removed next week. I have already done genetic testing for other reasons early this year. Funny it included all the possible genetic links (currently known) for melanoma and nothing came up. At that point I have had annual skin check ups with local dermatologist. And she didn't catch my mole. Luckily I had a breast cancer screening at cancer hospital due to strong family history. And my wonderful breast cancer surgeon knew right away that this mole needs to go out.  I haven't told my old dermatologist that she missed a melanoma all these years. I even question her visit one time few years ago. I felt like she hardly looked at me. I asked her why she is done so fast. She replied that she knows what she is looking for. My mole looked the same all these years – large, round but black. Should I let her know? I told some of my friends who goes to her and one family switched to my hospital – dermatologist and just was diagnosed as well. Is that so common? Not to diagnosed skin cancer? I am from Europe but living in TX.

Sophietx
                                      Participant

Sorry for the bad news! But great that all of you are stage 1. I also wonder between the connection of pregnancy and melanoma. I was diagnosed with melanoma in Situ last month. Looking back on photos – my melanoma was on my upper chest so I could see it on a lot of photos. It started as a black dot shortly after my 2nd pregnancy and remained in situ for 12 years. We have no other history in our family. My almost 13 year old has a lot of moles including a large dark mole in his belly button that we can't monitor. So we are having it removed next week. I have already done genetic testing for other reasons early this year. Funny it included all the possible genetic links (currently known) for melanoma and nothing came up. At that point I have had annual skin check ups with local dermatologist. And she didn't catch my mole. Luckily I had a breast cancer screening at cancer hospital due to strong family history. And my wonderful breast cancer surgeon knew right away that this mole needs to go out.  I haven't told my old dermatologist that she missed a melanoma all these years. I even question her visit one time few years ago. I felt like she hardly looked at me. I asked her why she is done so fast. She replied that she knows what she is looking for. My mole looked the same all these years – large, round but black. Should I let her know? I told some of my friends who goes to her and one family switched to my hospital – dermatologist and just was diagnosed as well. Is that so common? Not to diagnosed skin cancer? I am from Europe but living in TX.

Sophietx
                                        Participant

Janner
                                        Participant

Stage Ib goes to 2mm as long as you don't have ulceration.  You are well within stage I.  Sorry you have to join us here and good luck on the SNB.

Janner
                                          Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics