The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Got good but strange results from WLE scar. Janner?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Got good but strange results from WLE scar. Janner?

Participant

I posted a few weeks back about a dark spot that had been in my WLE scar since it started to heal.  Always had dead skin in that area but just thought it was healing differently or I had an ingrown hair or a suture not dissolving.  Anyway it started to bleed and so I had my derm look at it and remove it.

He didnt think it was anything. 

He called me today and said that no melanoma cells were found, but he did say the biopsy found abnormal squamous cells and that I should keep an eye on it.  If it patches or gets a bump or itches etc etc.. I should come back to have more removed though he said it shouldnt be a rush.  Just soonish if I get those symptoms because it could potentially turn into Squamous cell cancer.

My question is:  Has anyone else experienced this?  Would it be normal for abnormal or atypical squamous cells to be in a healing wound from a WLE of melanoma?  Any advice?  What are the chances that it could turn into SCC?  I know its not really a melanoma question but I didnt really know where else to ask it, and because its in a scar from a melanoma removal I thought it might be relevant.  So many of you on here have experienced so much and are far more knowledgeable about this stuff that I.

Thanks in advance!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Squamous cells are part of all our skin so it certainly isn't uncommon to have them where your melanoma is.  They are anywhere skin is as well as in other parts of your body.  Squamous cell carcinoma is directly related to sun exposure.  Sounds like it is possible you have an Actinic Keratosis which is a precursor for SCC. But maybe it is just an early SCC and not an AK.  I've had many AKs which were burned off using a topical chemo.  Also had a SCC on my forehead many years ago.  You are already at higher risk for SCC and BCC based on your melanoma diagnosis.  Many people here have most likely had at least two or possibly three types of skin cancer.  It's the reality of sun exposure.  I wouldn't stress at the location, just watch the area as suggested.

Janner
          Participant

Squamous cells are part of all our skin so it certainly isn't uncommon to have them where your melanoma is.  They are anywhere skin is as well as in other parts of your body.  Squamous cell carcinoma is directly related to sun exposure.  Sounds like it is possible you have an Actinic Keratosis which is a precursor for SCC. But maybe it is just an early SCC and not an AK.  I've had many AKs which were burned off using a topical chemo.  Also had a SCC on my forehead many years ago.  You are already at higher risk for SCC and BCC based on your melanoma diagnosis.  Many people here have most likely had at least two or possibly three types of skin cancer.  It's the reality of sun exposure.  I wouldn't stress at the location, just watch the area as suggested.

Janner
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics