The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Good news and some questions

Forums General Melanoma Community Good news and some questions

Participant

My husband was diagnosed with stage 3C melanoma under his thumbnail in Sepetember 2013.. After a partial amuptation and a lymphendectomy, he started on the ip vs. Interferon trial. He completed the induction phase of 10 mg. ipi and was able to manage the side effects. In week 14, a CAT scan showed a small metastasis in his liver. He was removed from the trial and did not receive any maintenance doses. We were devastated by the news and the removal from the trial. He underwent successful microwave ablation of the lesion. Our Christmas present was a clean scan today-nine months after progession on ipi. His 3rd clean scan. Our doctor is optimistic. It was nice to hear after all the negative stuff you hear when first diagnosed.

My question is does anyone now if the maintenance doses are effective?

I think that my husband is a responder to ipi. I would like BMS to examine his blood.I think it would be provide beneficial information  to BMS. Does anyone have an idea of how to make that happen? We have Kaiser and I am basically pleased with them, but I doubt if Kaiser would point us in the direction to get this done. I don't think they would be opposed to it either.

Wishing all of you mel warriors and their families a healthy new year.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

When ipi failed me I remember asking about the I think it is 4 month maintenance dose and my doc said he never does it and insurance rarely approves it. Since it didn't work for me anyway it was pretty much a moot point but I do remember asking. But that was for the FDA approved dosage and stuff.

Artie

arthurjedi007
          Participant

When ipi failed me I remember asking about the I think it is 4 month maintenance dose and my doc said he never does it and insurance rarely approves it. Since it didn't work for me anyway it was pretty much a moot point but I do remember asking. But that was for the FDA approved dosage and stuff.

Artie

arthurjedi007
            Participant

Artie

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics