The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Good News

Forums General Melanoma Community Good News

Participant

Brain MRI is clear (last one was February 3rd)!!!  Jeff will have body scans at the end of this month, and we are hoping to see some shrinkage of those liver and lung tumors.  RELIEF!!!!

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

Brain MRI is clear (last one was February 3rd)!!!  Jeff will have body scans at the end of this month, and we are hoping to see some shrinkage of those liver and lung tumors.  RELIEF!!!!

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

Viewing 29 reply threads
    • Replies
        hope4cure1
        Participant

Awesome!!!   My best to your family 🙂

Hope

hope4cure1
          Participant

Hope

s Mom
              Participant

Hi Hope,

Thanks for the kind words – we are just so happy to finally get some good news (it's been pretty scary).

I read your profile and see that your doctor is Dr. Omid.  What do you think of him?  Jeff is going to LA to talk to him in May (2nd opinion – consultation).  Dr. Omid seems to be on the cutting edge of treatment options and has a lot of trials available.  Any input, opinions, etc. that you could share with us would be so appreciated.  

Thanks in advance,

Bridgette

s Mom
                Participant

Hi Hope,

Thanks for the kind words – we are just so happy to finally get some good news (it's been pretty scary).

I read your profile and see that your doctor is Dr. Omid.  What do you think of him?  Jeff is going to LA to talk to him in May (2nd opinion – consultation).  Dr. Omid seems to be on the cutting edge of treatment options and has a lot of trials available.  Any input, opinions, etc. that you could share with us would be so appreciated.  

Thanks in advance,

Bridgette

killmel
                  Participant

Hi Bridgette,

Since your son is going to be in LA, I would have him see Dr. Ribas, at UCLA Medical Center. [email protected]

Dr. Tony Ribas at UCLA is great, and UCLA are a leading research and treatment center in California. Dr. Ribas is very caring and has many of the newest drug  clinical trials plus standard therapies. Dr. Ribas has been in the news for being a contributor to the latest finding in melanoma research.

For what it  is worth, I have also seen Dr.Hamid. I found him not as caring as Dr. Ribas and seems very busy with not much time to spare. Angeles Clinic is very commercial and motivated more by profit.

My preference is Dr. Ribas. If you email him, he will email you back. If it I were your son, I would first & foremeost see Dr. Ribas.

Good Luck

killmel
                    Participant

Hi Bridgette,

Since your son is going to be in LA, I would have him see Dr. Ribas, at UCLA Medical Center. [email protected]

Dr. Tony Ribas at UCLA is great, and UCLA are a leading research and treatment center in California. Dr. Ribas is very caring and has many of the newest drug  clinical trials plus standard therapies. Dr. Ribas has been in the news for being a contributor to the latest finding in melanoma research.

For what it  is worth, I have also seen Dr.Hamid. I found him not as caring as Dr. Ribas and seems very busy with not much time to spare. Angeles Clinic is very commercial and motivated more by profit.

My preference is Dr. Ribas. If you email him, he will email you back. If it I were your son, I would first & foremeost see Dr. Ribas.

Good Luck

killmel
                      Participant

Hi Bridgette,

Good Luck

s Mom
                        Participant

Hi Hope,

Thanks in advance,

Bridgette

hope4cure1
                        Participant

Hope

Richard_K
                          Participant
                            Bridgette
                            Great news. Thanks for sharing
                            Dick
                            Richard_K
                            Participant
                              Bridgette
                              Dick
                              Richard_K
                              Participant
                                Bridgette
                                Dick
                                Lori C
                                Participant

Much due good news !  Glad to hear it and healing thoughts for continued good results.

Lori, caregiver to Will

Lori C
                                  Participant

Much due good news !  Glad to hear it and healing thoughts for continued good results.

Lori, caregiver to Will

Lori C
                                    Participant

Lori, caregiver to Will

JerryfromFauq
                                      Participant

Great on the MRI.  now anything from no groth to shrinikage will be good.

Karin L
                                          Participant

So glad for the good news!

Karin

Karin L
                                            Participant

Karin

Karin L
                                              Participant

Karin

JerryfromFauq
                                              Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                Participant

triciad
                                                  Participant

Congratulations on the wonderful news!  Prayers that the scans show good news, too!

Tricia

triciad
                                                    Participant

Congratulations on the wonderful news!  Prayers that the scans show good news, too!

Tricia

triciad
                                                      Participant

Tricia

aldakota22
                                                        Participant

Great news keep it comming.Know you feel a sense of relief that things are finally heading in the right direction.My prayers and thoughts go out to Jeff and family.   Al

aldakota22
                                                          Participant

Great news keep it comming.Know you feel a sense of relief that things are finally heading in the right direction.My prayers and thoughts go out to Jeff and family.   Al

aldakota22
                                                            Participant

bikerwife
                                                              Participant
                                                                Oh Mrs. Bridgette I am so happy for you and your family. Our God is awesome may he continue to bless you with healing hands.
                                                                bikerwife
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Oh Mrs. Bridgette I am so happy for you and your family. Our God is awesome may he continue to bless you with healing hands.
                                                                    Kelly7
                                                                    Participant

Bridgette,

That is great news! I know its been awhile since you have had good news! So, please celebrate this moment!

Kelly:)

Kelly7
                                                                      Participant

Bridgette,

That is great news! I know its been awhile since you have had good news! So, please celebrate this moment!

Kelly7
                                                                        Participant

Bridgette,

s Mom
                                                                          Participant

Hi Kelly 🙂

How is your brother doing?  How was that first Ippi infusion?  How has he been feeling?  I hope he's doing well – what dosage is he on?

Any labor pains yet (I ask my daughter that almost every day – lol)?  I think of you often, and I am hoping and praying everything is going well with you, too.  Cannot wait to hear about that beautiful baby 🙂  Keep me updated – God Bless!!

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                                                                            Participant

Hi Kelly 🙂

How is your brother doing?  How was that first Ippi infusion?  How has he been feeling?  I hope he's doing well – what dosage is he on?

Any labor pains yet (I ask my daughter that almost every day – lol)?  I think of you often, and I am hoping and praying everything is going well with you, too.  Cannot wait to hear about that beautiful baby 🙂  Keep me updated – God Bless!!

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                                                                              Participant

Hi Kelly 🙂

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

bikerwife
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                hope4cure1
                                                                                Participant

Hi Bridgette,

My husband is being seen by Dr. Boasberg and Dr. Hamid at Angeles Clinic. They are also involved in cutting-edge research and have been generous with their time, support, and knowledge.  We have been very comfortable with both of them, and have found them to be accessible,  warm, and on top of things.  We are happy with the therapies and numerous clinical trials available.  The staff members have also become like family to us.  My husband has been NED since July.  We, obviously, couldn't be happier.

Preference in doctors is very personal.  At my urging, we went to Dr. Ribas at UCLA for a second opinion.  My husband left there feeling downhearted and without hope.  I felt horrible for urging him to go there.  I don't know if he'd ever elect to go back there.  Does that mean that Ribas isn't a great doctor?  Certainly NOT!!!!!  Would I try to discourage you from going to UCLA?  No!  You will find positive and negative posts in this forum on many doctors and clinics. 

The important step your son is taking is in getting a second opinion.  "Anonymous" has his/her opinion.  That's natural.  However, I don't think your son will go wrong at either Angeles or UCLA.  Have faith and move forward.  There are happy and sad experiences at both UCLA and Angeles……and everywhere else, for that matter.  You could go crazy second-guessing your decisions.

In the meantime, enjoy your good news, and be very mindful of these happy times!!!

Hope

hope4cure1
                                                                                  Participant

Hi Bridgette,

My husband is being seen by Dr. Boasberg and Dr. Hamid at Angeles Clinic. They are also involved in cutting-edge research and have been generous with their time, support, and knowledge.  We have been very comfortable with both of them, and have found them to be accessible,  warm, and on top of things.  We are happy with the therapies and numerous clinical trials available.  The staff members have also become like family to us.  My husband has been NED since July.  We, obviously, couldn't be happier.

Preference in doctors is very personal.  At my urging, we went to Dr. Ribas at UCLA for a second opinion.  My husband left there feeling downhearted and without hope.  I felt horrible for urging him to go there.  I don't know if he'd ever elect to go back there.  Does that mean that Ribas isn't a great doctor?  Certainly NOT!!!!!  Would I try to discourage you from going to UCLA?  No!  You will find positive and negative posts in this forum on many doctors and clinics. 

The important step your son is taking is in getting a second opinion.  "Anonymous" has his/her opinion.  That's natural.  However, I don't think your son will go wrong at either Angeles or UCLA.  Have faith and move forward.  There are happy and sad experiences at both UCLA and Angeles……and everywhere else, for that matter.  You could go crazy second-guessing your decisions.

In the meantime, enjoy your good news, and be very mindful of these happy times!!!

Hope

s Mom
                                                                                      Participant

Thank you, Hope – I love your name 🙂

Jeff will be seeing both doctors (Dr. Ribas squeezed him in) in Los Angeles.  I agree having a second opinion is what's important and choosing a doctor is a very personal decision.  That's why it's up to Jeff to decide – he gets to have a little bit of control in a situation where control is in very short supply.  We feel so fortunate to have the opportunity to see these experts and to "pick" their brains as to next steps on a journey we never wanted to travel.  

Glad to hear of your husband's NED status – that is SO wonderful and makes me hopeful that Dr. Hamid might help our Jeff get to NED too. 

We will enjoy these happy days and our recent good news and, like you, hope for a cure…soon!

Take care and thanks again,

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                                                                                        Participant

Jeff will be seeing both doctors (Dr. Ribas squeezed him in) in Los Angeles.  I agree having a second opinion is what's important and choosing a doctor is a very personal decision.  That's why it's up to Jeff to decide – he gets to have a little bit of control in a situation where control is in very short supply.  We feel so fortunate to have the opportunity to see these experts and to "pick" their brains as to next steps on a journey we never wanted to travel.  

Glad to hear of your husband's NED status – that is SO wonderful and makes me hopeful that Dr. Hamid might help our Jeff get to NED too. 

We will enjoy these happy days and our recent good news and, like you, hope for a cure…soon!

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                                                                                          Participant

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

hope4cure1
                                                                                          Participant

Hi Bridgette,

Hope

LynnLuc
                                                                                            Participant

Great News!

LynnLuc
                                                                                              Participant

Great News!

deardad
                                                                                                  Participant

Wonderful news, hope it continues to work for years.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                                                                                                    Participant

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                                                                                                      Participant

Nahmi from Melbourne

LynnLuc
                                                                                                      Participant

Great News!

MeNDave
                                                                                                        Participant

That's wonderful!   I hope you contine to keep getting good news!

All our best,

Maria

killmel
                                                                                                            Participant

Hi Maria,

It was very smart of your family to see both Dr. Hamid & Dr. Ribas. You are absolutely correct that picking a doctor is very personal & Jeff should do that.

My own experience is that I too had 2nd opinions with both doctors & I picked Dr. Ribas. I did not care for Dr.Hamids beside manner. After asking Dr.Hamid  questions about the trial, I felt that he was pushing some clinical trials because he needed to fill some slots. Dr.Hamid seemed impatient and bothered that I was questioning him.

I am in the Braf/Mek trial with Dr. Ribas and have remained NED for 8 months. I love Dr. Ribas because he really cares. He spends the time with you and your family. UCLA  has the newest trials. Many trials sponsors respect Dr.Ribas research & he gets  the news trials that are coming out.

I live in Las Vegas and have to pay for airfare to UCLA.

I read one of your  earlier post about PALS. Is Jeff getting his airfare to LA picked up by any cancer helping group?

God Bless Jeff & his family.

Ann

killmel
                                                                                                              Participant

Bridgette, I am sorry for the mistake with your name.

NYKaren
                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                  Bridgette,
                                                                                                                  What great news. I’m so happy for you all!
                                                                                                                  NYKaren
                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                    Bridgette,
                                                                                                                    NYKaren
                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                      Bridgette,
                                                                                                                      killmel
                                                                                                                      Participant

killmel
                                                                                                                        Participant

killmel
                                                                                                                          Participant

Hi Maria,

It was very smart of your family to see both Dr. Hamid & Dr. Ribas. You are absolutely correct that picking a doctor is very personal & Jeff should do that.

My own experience is that I too had 2nd opinions with both doctors & I picked Dr. Ribas. I did not care for Dr.Hamids beside manner. After asking Dr.Hamid  questions about the trial, I felt that he was pushing some clinical trials because he needed to fill some slots. Dr.Hamid seemed impatient and bothered that I was questioning him.

I am in the Braf/Mek trial with Dr. Ribas and have remained NED for 8 months. I love Dr. Ribas because he really cares. He spends the time with you and your family. UCLA  has the newest trials. Many trials sponsors respect Dr.Ribas research & he gets  the news trials that are coming out.

I read one of your  earlier post about PALS. Is Jeff getting his airfare to LA picked up by any cancer helping group?

Ann

killmel
                                                                                                                            Participant

Hi Maria,

Ann

MeNDave
                                                                                                                            Participant

All our best,

Maria

MeNDave
                                                                                                                              Participant

All our best,

Maria

Viewing 29 reply threads
                                                                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics