The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Good news

Forums General Melanoma Community Good news

Participant

My husband just had another great CAT scan. Still NED! What is so wonderful is that 2 years ago, he was diagnosed with a small metastasis to his liver. He was in the interferon vs. ipi trial for stage 3C. He had 4 infusions of 10 mg ipi and had tolerated it reasonably well. He was removed from the clinical trial ( he was supposed to get 4 maintenence doses)., basically a clinical "failure". He then had microwave ablation surgery and then became NED. 2 years ago, we thought  he only had months. Now we know he is a "durable responder". We are lucky.

What bothers me a bit, is when the study results come out, it will not reflect that the Yervoy worked. Also, it was a bit disappointing that after being followed so closely during the trial and giving at least 50 vials of blood, that he was dropped like a hot potato from the support from the clinical trial researchers. I think there is valueable information to be gleaned from him. It is really a shame for other melanoma patients. One of the reasons he joined a clinical trial was to help others.

Keep up the good fight. There is hope.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Oh, Marianne! That is wonderful! So, very glad that the ablation was a sucess…though I bet ipi played a positive role as well….just not in the time frame within which it was "supposed" to! Over the past couple of years…bit by bit….folks have been proving the reality of "delayed" responses to immunotherapy to reasearchers…until "Give the patient time!"….has become a refrain of many. Here is just one more recent example of that when melanoma big dogs reviewed the results from 655 patients treated with pembro:    http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/03/melanoma-big-dogs-review-results-of-pts.html

One poor soul "failed" the nivo trial I was in back in early 2010/2011 by developing lesions while on the treatment. He was removed from trial per its stated protocol. However, while Weber was looking for a different treatment option…the patient was rescanned and the lesions were shrinking. Eventually…his lesions resolved…with no further treatment!. Now…I realize he was a lucky bug. Progression is all too real for many. But this certainly speaks to your point regarding the necessity of folllow-up when patients are in clinical trials! How we respond, when we respond, whether we respond sequentially (maybe ipi followed by ablation…was the magic for your husband), duration of reponse…etc, etc….is incredibly important stuff. For researchers to fail in the area of follow-up, and the lack of consistency in clinical trials generally, drives me crazy!  Here's a piece I wrote that addresses a few of the issues I see as clinical trial problems:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-problem-with-clinical-trials.html

For all his lack of trial follow-up…your husband is still teaching others and leading the way! Congratulations and thanks for sharing! Love, c

Bubbles
          Participant

Oh, Marianne! That is wonderful! So, very glad that the ablation was a sucess…though I bet ipi played a positive role as well….just not in the time frame within which it was "supposed" to! Over the past couple of years…bit by bit….folks have been proving the reality of "delayed" responses to immunotherapy to reasearchers…until "Give the patient time!"….has become a refrain of many. Here is just one more recent example of that when melanoma big dogs reviewed the results from 655 patients treated with pembro:    http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/03/melanoma-big-dogs-review-results-of-pts.html

One poor soul "failed" the nivo trial I was in back in early 2010/2011 by developing lesions while on the treatment. He was removed from trial per its stated protocol. However, while Weber was looking for a different treatment option…the patient was rescanned and the lesions were shrinking. Eventually…his lesions resolved…with no further treatment!. Now…I realize he was a lucky bug. Progression is all too real for many. But this certainly speaks to your point regarding the necessity of folllow-up when patients are in clinical trials! How we respond, when we respond, whether we respond sequentially (maybe ipi followed by ablation…was the magic for your husband), duration of reponse…etc, etc….is incredibly important stuff. For researchers to fail in the area of follow-up, and the lack of consistency in clinical trials generally, drives me crazy!  Here's a piece I wrote that addresses a few of the issues I see as clinical trial problems:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-problem-with-clinical-trials.html

For all his lack of trial follow-up…your husband is still teaching others and leading the way! Congratulations and thanks for sharing! Love, c

Bubbles
            Participant

JoshF
              Participant

Love great news!!!!

JoshF
                Participant

Love great news!!!!

JoshF
                  Participant

Love great news!!!!

katie1
                    Participant

Hi Maranne,

great news. 

Kate

katie1
                      Participant

Hi Maranne,

great news. 

Kate

katie1
                        Participant

Hi Maranne,

great news. 

Kate

AshleyS
                          Participant

Hi Marianne,

I'm glad your husband is doing so well. I totally agree with everything you stated concerning the final results and losing support once you're kicked off a trial. I was on the ipi/nivo trial and made it through three of the four combo infusions. I was taken off due to grade 3 diarrhea but continued on with Opdivo. I was given NED status about 7 months after being kicked off the trial. I know many people are afraid of going on a trial. I agree that it's too bad they can't see everything in the published research. Best of luck for continued health. 

Ashley

AshleyS
                            Participant

Hi Marianne,

I'm glad your husband is doing so well. I totally agree with everything you stated concerning the final results and losing support once you're kicked off a trial. I was on the ipi/nivo trial and made it through three of the four combo infusions. I was taken off due to grade 3 diarrhea but continued on with Opdivo. I was given NED status about 7 months after being kicked off the trial. I know many people are afraid of going on a trial. I agree that it's too bad they can't see everything in the published research. Best of luck for continued health. 

Ashley

AshleyS
                              Participant

Hi Marianne,

Ashley

DZnDef
                                Participant

Marianne!  Thank you so much for sharing such wonderful news with us!  Yes, there definitely is hope.  I am delighted for you and your husband.

DZnDef
                                  Participant

Marianne!  Thank you so much for sharing such wonderful news with us!  Yes, there definitely is hope.  I am delighted for you and your husband.

DZnDef
                                    Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics