The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Good News

Forums General Melanoma Community Good News

Participant

Hi Everyone,

Craigs 2nd set of scans on the Merck PD-1 Trial look good. We only briefly caught Prof today, but he said there was further reduction in the size of the spot. Although we were fairly sure that these scans would be ok – the scanxiety was still very high! I guess you never know with Melanoma.

Anyway – just wanted to share the good news. Hopefully this amazing drug gets the go ahead very soon.

Cheers,

Lisa

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Maureen038
        Participant

That's such wonderful news Lisa!! My husband has scans on Thursday and I am hoping for good results too. Unfortunately, the anxiety before scans never gets better.

Maureen

Maureen038
          Participant

That's such wonderful news Lisa!! My husband has scans on Thursday and I am hoping for good results too. Unfortunately, the anxiety before scans never gets better.

Maureen

Maureen038
            Participant

Maureen

POW
              Participant

That's awesome, Lisa! I love hearing success stories like this. Thank you for taking the time to share the good news.

Maureen, I will be praying that you, too, will be able to share such good news after your husband's next set of scans! Hang onto your PMA– these scans will be good! How is he doing with the hemolytic anemia? Is that under control now?

sofistef
                  Participant

Hi Lisa,

So glad to hear the good news! I also have my first set of scans next week and my anxiety is to the roof! I also have only one lymph node involved and I pray that the treatment is working! I'm in the phase 3 Nivo / Ippi/ Nivo+Ippi trial!

Maureen,good luck with the scans ! Pray for great results!

Dana

Brendan
                    Participant

Hi Lisa,

Great to hear about Craig's scans.  Thanks for posting.

Brendan

Brendan
                      Participant

Hi Lisa,

Brendan

Brendan
                        Participant

Hi Lisa,

Brendan

Maureen038
                          Participant

I totally understand your anxiety Dana!! Let's pray my husband and you both get great scans and we can celebrate with a cup of coffee. ๐Ÿ™‚ Check out the Washington Post health section today. There's a huge article on cancer and Dr. Atkins and Dr. Rosenberg are prominently featured. They have different opinions and only time will tell who is correct. I'm hoping that a combination of both of their treatments is the way to go since my husband has done both treatments. I will try to put the article up later when I have time.

Maureen

Maureen038
                            Participant

I totally understand your anxiety Dana!! Let's pray my husband and you both get great scans and we can celebrate with a cup of coffee. ๐Ÿ™‚ Check out the Washington Post health section today. There's a huge article on cancer and Dr. Atkins and Dr. Rosenberg are prominently featured. They have different opinions and only time will tell who is correct. I'm hoping that a combination of both of their treatments is the way to go since my husband has done both treatments. I will try to put the article up later when I have time.

Maureen

Maureen038
                              Participant

Maureen

sofistef
                                Participant

Hi Lisa,

So glad to hear the good news! I also have my first set of scans next week and my anxiety is to the roof! I also have only one lymph node involved and I pray that the treatment is working! I'm in the phase 3 Nivo / Ippi/ Nivo+Ippi trial!

Dana

sofistef
                                  Participant

Hi Lisa,

Dana

Maureen038
                                    Participant

Thanks Pat for the prayers! He has been off the steroids for two weeks and feeling good. Last week we went to Pittsburg and he met with a hematologist who still felt he wasn't ready to start the maintainence stage of nivolumbab. His hemoglobin levels have stayed consistently around 10, but he felt because the LDH level hadn't returned to under 200 that hemolysis was still occurring. My one hope for that is that Yervoy is still in his system. He wanted to wait another week and do scans Thursday. BMS is being very cautious because Bill is apparently the only patient in the phase one trial who has this side effect. Hopefully, he will have good scans because he hasn't had any drugs since the first of December due to this side effect. The waiting never gets easier though.

Maureen

Maureen038
                                      Participant

Thanks Pat for the prayers! He has been off the steroids for two weeks and feeling good. Last week we went to Pittsburg and he met with a hematologist who still felt he wasn't ready to start the maintainence stage of nivolumbab. His hemoglobin levels have stayed consistently around 10, but he felt because the LDH level hadn't returned to under 200 that hemolysis was still occurring. My one hope for that is that Yervoy is still in his system. He wanted to wait another week and do scans Thursday. BMS is being very cautious because Bill is apparently the only patient in the phase one trial who has this side effect. Hopefully, he will have good scans because he hasn't had any drugs since the first of December due to this side effect. The waiting never gets easier though.

Maureen

POW
                                        Participant

Gee, Maureen, you're kind of between a rock and a hard place with the LDH levels, aren't you? That's a tough position to be in. Does the high LDH level mean that the hemolytic anemia is still a problem? If so, of course you want to delay any more ipi treatments. On the other hand, a high LDH level can also indicate a large tumor burden, so you would want to restart the ipi (or other treatment) as soon as possible. 

I was wondering, has anyone been tracking the LDH isozyme profile of your husband's blood? There are actually 5 different types of LDH; different tissues (like heart and or muscle) contain different types or "isozymes" of LDH. Sometimes doing an "LDH isozyme test" rather than a "total LDH" test can help to pinpoint where the LDH is coming from and therefore localize the source of the disease. You can read more about the LDH isozyme test here http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=167&ContentID=lactate_dehydrogenase_isoenzymes

Since your husband is seeing a hemotologist (an excellent decision, by the way) I wonder if you could ask the doctor about your husband's isozyme profile. It might help you and your doctors with your next treatment decision.

POW
                                          Participant

Gee, Maureen, you're kind of between a rock and a hard place with the LDH levels, aren't you? That's a tough position to be in. Does the high LDH level mean that the hemolytic anemia is still a problem? If so, of course you want to delay any more ipi treatments. On the other hand, a high LDH level can also indicate a large tumor burden, so you would want to restart the ipi (or other treatment) as soon as possible. 

I was wondering, has anyone been tracking the LDH isozyme profile of your husband's blood? There are actually 5 different types of LDH; different tissues (like heart and or muscle) contain different types or "isozymes" of LDH. Sometimes doing an "LDH isozyme test" rather than a "total LDH" test can help to pinpoint where the LDH is coming from and therefore localize the source of the disease. You can read more about the LDH isozyme test here http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=167&ContentID=lactate_dehydrogenase_isoenzymes

Since your husband is seeing a hemotologist (an excellent decision, by the way) I wonder if you could ask the doctor about your husband's isozyme profile. It might help you and your doctors with your next treatment decision.

POW
                                            Participant

Maureen038
                                              Participant

Maureen

POW
                                              Participant

That's awesome, Lisa! I love hearing success stories like this. Thank you for taking the time to share the good news.

Maureen, I will be praying that you, too, will be able to share such good news after your husband's next set of scans! Hang onto your PMA– these scans will be good! How is he doing with the hemolytic anemia? Is that under control now?

POW
                                                Participant

Tina D
                                                  Participant

Great news, Lisa! Thank you for taking the time to share it with us!

Tina

Tina D
                                                    Participant

Tina

Tina D
                                                      Participant

Tina

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics