The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Good Morning…:))

Forums Caregiver Community Good Morning…:))

Participant

I have to look at it that way…that every morning is…a good morning.

I just tried to set up a profile page…having registered just this morning.  When my husband was first diagnosed with melanoma I found this site but I did not bookmark it…luckily I stumbled back in here somehow this morning!

In that short time…since May of just this year…it already seems like a liftetime…we have traveled far…and quickly too…on this journey.

I'm not fond of the term Caregiver… because…to me it's way more than that.  I am Lisa…His Wife.

I have to look at it that way…that every morning is…a good morning.

I just tried to set up a profile page…having registered just this morning.  When my husband was first diagnosed with melanoma I found this site but I did not bookmark it…luckily I stumbled back in here somehow this morning!

In that short time…since May of just this year…it already seems like a liftetime…we have traveled far…and quickly too…on this journey.

I'm not fond of the term Caregiver… because…to me it's way more than that.  I am Lisa…His Wife.

I tend to ramble.  I ask too many questions.  I am concerned.  I am afraid.  Yet…at the same time…I listen.  I am compassionate.  I am strong.

Our journey is…for the most part…as fast as it is happening…in the beginning stages I guess.  I hope to find guidance…or maybe just acceptance…along with much understanding…in this group.

I am honored to be here…and with much respect

Lisa…His Wife

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • Replies
        momof2kids
        Participant

Nothing wrong with coming on here, this is the best place I've found so far, to get all the answers we've wanted, that we can't always remember to ask our doctor when we see them.

I did see in your profile, he was told it was lymphoma at first, and that was the same with me, they said I had lymphoma, as they were sure the huge tumor in my head was lymphoma!  Even the Brain Surgeon was shocked to find a disgusting Melanoma tumor in my head.  They had us so "excited", they spoke to my parents and assured them we'd kill it all off, and I'd be fine.  Well, then 2 days later, it was MELANOMA.  They never told me how horrible it could be, til I got home and typed in STAGE IV MELANOMA…imagine my horror to find the statistics, and the fact that I now have an incurable cancer, one that takes many lives very quickly.

I hope all treatments go well for your husband.

momof2kids
          Participant

Nothing wrong with coming on here, this is the best place I've found so far, to get all the answers we've wanted, that we can't always remember to ask our doctor when we see them.

I did see in your profile, he was told it was lymphoma at first, and that was the same with me, they said I had lymphoma, as they were sure the huge tumor in my head was lymphoma!  Even the Brain Surgeon was shocked to find a disgusting Melanoma tumor in my head.  They had us so "excited", they spoke to my parents and assured them we'd kill it all off, and I'd be fine.  Well, then 2 days later, it was MELANOMA.  They never told me how horrible it could be, til I got home and typed in STAGE IV MELANOMA…imagine my horror to find the statistics, and the fact that I now have an incurable cancer, one that takes many lives very quickly.

I hope all treatments go well for your husband.

His Wife
              Participant

Thank you for your kind response.  I can't attempt to know how you feel…I can only tell you how devistated I was myself…when we heard those horrific words.  I am going to view your profile…if that is okay…and thank you again…for the welcome…:))

His Wife
                Participant

Thank you for your kind response.  I can't attempt to know how you feel…I can only tell you how devistated I was myself…when we heard those horrific words.  I am going to view your profile…if that is okay…and thank you again…for the welcome…:))

jim Breitfeller
                Participant

Lisa,

I readed your husband's profile and that he is doing radiation. The rediation may kill some of the tumors cells (outer shell) but most likely won't kill the inner core. To do that he is going to need his immune system to do the work. May I suggest that instead of IL-2 as the next step, your husband try  either Ipilimumab (Yervoy) or Anti-PD-1 first. If they fail, then IL-2.

His Wife
                    Participant

Our oncologist explained to us that…in our case…he felt it was better to do the IL2 after the radiation…simply because he didn't want to put my husband's body through a treatment that would weaken him – and not have any real response.  While he is still as strong as he is…with good heart and good lungs…they seem to think that the IL2 is best.

We understand that melanoma is prone to resist radiation…but in his case it seems to be the only option to get rid of any microscopic cells that remain.  They have told us that they would not be able to go back in the same area and perform any more surgeries.  We are holding out hope that radiation helps in this case.

jim Breitfeller
                      Participant

The Yevoy or PD-1 therapy would take the suppressive T regulatory cells out of play, allowing any acivated T-cells to multipy. It has been shown that if IL-2 is added during the growth phase of the t-cells could jeopardize T-cell survival.

IL-2 treatment during the expansion phase was detrimental to the survival of rapidly dividing effector T cells. In contrast,

IL-2 therapy was highly beneficial during the death phase, resulting in increased proliferation and survival of Tumor-specific T cells.

IL-2 treatment also increased proliferation of resting memory T cells in the host that controlled the disease. Tumor-specific T cells in chronically infected Host also responds to IL-2 resulting in decreased tumor burden. Thus, timing of IL-2 administration and differentiation status of the T cell are critical parameters in designing IL-2 therapies (Blattman et al., 2003).

Best regards,

Jimmy b

jim Breitfeller
                        Participant

jim Breitfeller
                          Participant

jim Breitfeller
                            Participant

triciad
                              Participant

Jimmy,

You are a genius; however, I am not.  I am truly grateful for every response you share; yet, I NEVER understand what you are saying.  All this death phase, effector T cells, etc. is Greek to me.  Can you please explain these things in more simplistic terms so the average (and below average…me) patients can take advantage of your advice.  Again, I am in awe of your knowledge…I just don't understand it.

Thanks a million,

Tricia 

triciad
                                Participant

Jimmy,

You are a genius; however, I am not.  I am truly grateful for every response you share; yet, I NEVER understand what you are saying.  All this death phase, effector T cells, etc. is Greek to me.  Can you please explain these things in more simplistic terms so the average (and below average…me) patients can take advantage of your advice.  Again, I am in awe of your knowledge…I just don't understand it.

Thanks a million,

Tricia 

triciad
                                  Participant

Jimmy,

Thanks a million,

Tricia 

jim Breitfeller
                                    Participant

Tricia,

I am glad you asked the question.

It is about the biology  of a cell. A T-cell

Death phase : The final growth phaseof the cells, during which nutrients have been depleted and cell number decreases. One of those nutrients may be IL-2.

Effector cell :a lymphocyte (as a T cell) that has been induced to differentiate into a form (as a cytotoxic T cell) capable of mounting a specific immune response called also effector lymphocyte.

There are two kind of effector cells CD4+ and CD8+ . CD4+ are know as T Helper cells. when activated, they secrete cytokines like  (IL-2). They can help activate CD8+ T-cells

T-helper cells(also known as effector T cells or Th cells) are a sub-group of lymphocytes (a type of white blood cell or leukocyte) that play an important role in establishing and maximizing the capabilities of the immune system.

A cytotoxic T cell (also known as TC, CTL, T-Killer cell, cytolytic T cell, CD8+ T-cells or killer T cell) belongs to a sub-group of T lymphocytes (a type of white blood cell) that are capable of inducing the death of infected  cells or tumor cells; they kill cells that are infected with viruses (or other pathogens), or are otherwise damaged or dysfunctional

When CD-8+ T-cells are activated, they mature into (CTLs) Cytotoxic T Lymphocytes capable of distroying Melanoma Tumors.

You may want to download a paper I wrote called Melanoma and the Magic Bullet.

http://www.box.net/shared/kjgr6dkztj

It goes into great detail on the terminology of the the immune system

Another great reference  for Patients is the Understanding the Immune system by NCI

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/understandingcancer/immunesystem

You can download a powerpoint presentation or print it as a pdf file.

I hope this helps

warm Regards

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                                      Participant

Tricia,

Death phase : The final growth phaseof the cells, during which nutrients have been depleted and cell number decreases. One of those nutrients may be IL-2.

Effector cell :a lymphocyte (as a T cell) that has been induced to differentiate into a form (as a cytotoxic T cell) capable of mounting a specific immune response called also effector lymphocyte.

There are two kind of effector cells CD4+ and CD8+ . CD4+ are know as T Helper cells. when activated, they secrete cytokines like  (IL-2). They can help activate CD8+ T-cells

T-helper cells(also known as effector T cells or Th cells) are a sub-group of lymphocytes (a type of white blood cell or leukocyte) that play an important role in establishing and maximizing the capabilities of the immune system.

A cytotoxic T cell (also known as TC, CTL, T-Killer cell, cytolytic T cell, CD8+ T-cells or killer T cell) belongs to a sub-group of T lymphocytes (a type of white blood cell) that are capable of inducing the death of infected  cells or tumor cells; they kill cells that are infected with viruses (or other pathogens), or are otherwise damaged or dysfunctional

When CD-8+ T-cells are activated, they mature into (CTLs) Cytotoxic T Lymphocytes capable of distroying Melanoma Tumors.

Another great reference  for Patients is the Understanding the Immune system by NCI

I hope this helps

warm Regards

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                                        Participant

Tricia,

I hope this helps

warm Regards

Jimmy B

triciad
                                          Participant

Jimmy,

Thanks so much for explaining this in terms I can better understand.  I really appreciate your help and will download both papers to further educate myself.

One more question…

What is the timing of IL-2 and Yervoy treatments that you have mentioned previously?  Which comes first…the chicken (IL-2) or the egg (yervoy)?  Also, are you more of a fan of the PD-1 now over yervoy?

I know we are all grateful that you take the time to help us with our journey, especially because you are a traveler with us!  Thanks again for your help!

Tricia

jim Breitfeller
                                            Participant

Tricia,

First, I want to tell you that took a couple of years to become fluent in the language of translational  research. I continue to learn everyday.

Now your IL2 & Yervoy  question. The timing has to do with the grow cycles of the T-cells.

Yervoy takes the brakes off the immune system and allows the T-cells to grow and multiply. In doing so, the cells need a critical amount of IL-2 to be used as a nutrient.

If HD IL-2 is introduced durn the growth and expansion phase, It causes the T-cells to shut down. It has something to do with a feed back loop to control the immune response so your body doesn't go into an autoimmune response.

If you add the HD IL-2  after the the expansion (which is aproximately 49 days or 7 weeks) the IL-2 actually Acts as a growth factor which helps maintain  functionality and survival of the T-cells. It also helps to activate the CD8+ T-cells into (CTLs) Cytotoxic T Lymphocytes.

So in my opinion,  Doing  Yervoy first makes the most sence.  I have seen some patients become  NED also by doing it in reverse IL-2 then Yervoy.

The problen with doing IL-2 first is, you may grow the unwanted T-regulator cells, (Tregs) which are a subset of the CD4+ T-cells (T-helper cells).

The reason I am a fan of anti-PD-1 therapy is two fold.

First, It blocks receptors on both the T-cells and the tumor itself. Limited data shows that it works better than Yervoy.

Secondly, the Drugs stays in the body a lot longer  with minimal decay. (about 2 months) The halflife of the drug is longer. Also the side effects seem less.

Video on T-cell activation

http://s384.photobucket.com/albums/oo290/jimmy_b/?action=view&current=TheImmuneResponse.mp4

I hope this  helps.

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                                              Participant

Tricia,

First, I want to tell you that took a couple of years to become fluent in the language of translational  research. I continue to learn everyday.

Now your IL2 & Yervoy  question. The timing has to do with the grow cycles of the T-cells.

Yervoy takes the brakes off the immune system and allows the T-cells to grow and multiply. In doing so, the cells need a critical amount of IL-2 to be used as a nutrient.

If HD IL-2 is introduced durn the growth and expansion phase, It causes the T-cells to shut down. It has something to do with a feed back loop to control the immune response so your body doesn't go into an autoimmune response.

If you add the HD IL-2  after the the expansion (which is aproximately 49 days or 7 weeks) the IL-2 actually Acts as a growth factor which helps maintain  functionality and survival of the T-cells. It also helps to activate the CD8+ T-cells into (CTLs) Cytotoxic T Lymphocytes.

So in my opinion,  Doing  Yervoy first makes the most sence.  I have seen some patients become  NED also by doing it in reverse IL-2 then Yervoy.

The problen with doing IL-2 first is, you may grow the unwanted T-regulator cells, (Tregs) which are a subset of the CD4+ T-cells (T-helper cells).

First, It blocks receptors on both the T-cells and the tumor itself. Limited data shows that it works better than Yervoy.

Secondly, the Drugs stays in the body a lot longer  with minimal decay. (about 2 months) The halflife of the drug is longer. Also the side effects seem less.

http://s384.photobucket.com/albums/oo290/jimmy_b/?action=view&current=TheImmuneResponse.mp4

I hope this  helps.

Jimmy B

triciad
                                                Participant

Jimmy,

Thanks so much for all of this information.  I am printing it all and putting it in my files.  I hope I will never need any of it, but just in case, I'll have it ready to go.  Thanks again for all of your help.  Just think of my posts as "Melanoma for Dummies."  Have a wonderful weekend!

Tricia

triciad
                                                  Participant

Jimmy,

Thanks so much for all of this information.  I am printing it all and putting it in my files.  I hope I will never need any of it, but just in case, I'll have it ready to go.  Thanks again for all of your help.  Just think of my posts as "Melanoma for Dummies."  Have a wonderful weekend!

Tricia

jim Breitfeller
                                                    Participant

Tricia ,

We are on a learning curve, I just started a little earlier then you. We are all Here to educate ourselves.

Take care

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                                                      Participant

Tricia ,

We are on a learning curve, I just started a little earlier then you. We are all Here to educate ourselves.

Take care

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                                                        Participant

Tricia ,

Take care

Jimmy B

triciad
                                                          Participant

Jimmy,

Tricia

jim Breitfeller
                                                            Participant

Tricia,

I hope this  helps.

Jimmy B

triciad
                                                              Participant

Jimmy,

Thanks so much for explaining this in terms I can better understand.  I really appreciate your help and will download both papers to further educate myself.

One more question…

What is the timing of IL-2 and Yervoy treatments that you have mentioned previously?  Which comes first…the chicken (IL-2) or the egg (yervoy)?  Also, are you more of a fan of the PD-1 now over yervoy?

I know we are all grateful that you take the time to help us with our journey, especially because you are a traveler with us!  Thanks again for your help!

Tricia

triciad
                                                                Participant

Jimmy,

One more question…

Tricia

JerryfromFauq
                                                                  Participant

Tricia,

I think the main thing to get from Jimmy's IPI/IL-2 information is that there is a certain timing that is important in the sequence of events.  The exact meaning of each of the terms is something that we may have problems remembering, but as long as we get the basic idea, we can present Jimmy's data to our Onc's and look at the scheduling for the timing of the events the Onc's proposing. 

We don't all have Jimmy's background for being able to readily assimulate many of the details, but it is grat to hve his input.  I provide much of it to my Onc's.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                    Participant

Tricia,

I think the main thing to get from Jimmy's IPI/IL-2 information is that there is a certain timing that is important in the sequence of events.  The exact meaning of each of the terms is something that we may have problems remembering, but as long as we get the basic idea, we can present Jimmy's data to our Onc's and look at the scheduling for the timing of the events the Onc's proposing. 

We don't all have Jimmy's background for being able to readily assimulate many of the details, but it is grat to hve his input.  I provide much of it to my Onc's.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                      Participant

Tricia,

jim Breitfeller
                                                                        Participant

The Yevoy or PD-1 therapy would take the suppressive T regulatory cells out of play, allowing any acivated T-cells to multipy. It has been shown that if IL-2 is added during the growth phase of the t-cells could jeopardize T-cell survival.

IL-2 treatment during the expansion phase was detrimental to the survival of rapidly dividing effector T cells. In contrast,

IL-2 therapy was highly beneficial during the death phase, resulting in increased proliferation and survival of Tumor-specific T cells.

IL-2 treatment also increased proliferation of resting memory T cells in the host that controlled the disease. Tumor-specific T cells in chronically infected Host also responds to IL-2 resulting in decreased tumor burden. Thus, timing of IL-2 administration and differentiation status of the T cell are critical parameters in designing IL-2 therapies (Blattman et al., 2003).

Best regards,

Jimmy b

jim Breitfeller
                                                                          Participant

Best regards,

Jimmy b

His Wife
                                                                            Participant

Our oncologist explained to us that…in our case…he felt it was better to do the IL2 after the radiation…simply because he didn't want to put my husband's body through a treatment that would weaken him – and not have any real response.  While he is still as strong as he is…with good heart and good lungs…they seem to think that the IL2 is best.

We understand that melanoma is prone to resist radiation…but in his case it seems to be the only option to get rid of any microscopic cells that remain.  They have told us that they would not be able to go back in the same area and perform any more surgeries.  We are holding out hope that radiation helps in this case.

jim Breitfeller
                                                                            Participant

Lisa,

I readed your husband's profile and that he is doing radiation. The rediation may kill some of the tumors cells (outer shell) but most likely won't kill the inner core. To do that he is going to need his immune system to do the work. May I suggest that instead of IL-2 as the next step, your husband try  either Ipilimumab (Yervoy) or Anti-PD-1 first. If they fail, then IL-2.

shellebrownies
                                                                              Participant

Lisa,

I shall check out your profile. I, too, am the wife, the caregiver. My husband was diagnosed  Stage IV in April with spread in lungs, liver, and bone. His cancer has been categorized as "extremely aggressive" by our mel specialist.  Luckily, he had a phenomenal response to some chemotherapy and I firmly believe that's why he's still with us. He's on Zelboraf now, and I really do feel that every day he's still here is a good day, because already we have beat the odds. 

I read your post and it resonated a lot with me; I could completely relate to it. It's a whirlwind tour of a place you never wanted to see…but it certainly does help knowing you are not travelling that path alone. 

This site is really a wonderful, supportive place. A place to belong,  where people just understand.

There are several other caregivers who come here relatively regularly. I hope they will also chime in on your thread to let you know that you are definitely not alone!

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
                                                                                Participant

Lisa,

I shall check out your profile. I, too, am the wife, the caregiver. My husband was diagnosed  Stage IV in April with spread in lungs, liver, and bone. His cancer has been categorized as "extremely aggressive" by our mel specialist.  Luckily, he had a phenomenal response to some chemotherapy and I firmly believe that's why he's still with us. He's on Zelboraf now, and I really do feel that every day he's still here is a good day, because already we have beat the odds. 

I read your post and it resonated a lot with me; I could completely relate to it. It's a whirlwind tour of a place you never wanted to see…but it certainly does help knowing you are not travelling that path alone. 

This site is really a wonderful, supportive place. A place to belong,  where people just understand.

There are several other caregivers who come here relatively regularly. I hope they will also chime in on your thread to let you know that you are definitely not alone!

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
                                                                                  Participant

Lisa,

Michelle, wife of Don

nickmac56
                                                                                    Participant

Hi Lisa – welcome, glad you found this forum. You'll find many things here from a group of really wonderful people – all the technical and emotional support you wil need. I am a caregiver (it matters little to me what the label is – the reality is that is a key role I play) and a husband. You can look at my profile to see what my wife's path has been. I also have a blog that describes a lot of the process and issues you might face, you may find it helpful. My wife has gone through it all – radiation (of all kinds), surgery, chemo, immunotherapy – and has tumors just about everywhere. 

I wish you the very best on this journey.

Nick

cancercabanaboy.blogspot.com 

nickmac56
                                                                                      Participant

Hi Lisa – welcome, glad you found this forum. You'll find many things here from a group of really wonderful people – all the technical and emotional support you wil need. I am a caregiver (it matters little to me what the label is – the reality is that is a key role I play) and a husband. You can look at my profile to see what my wife's path has been. I also have a blog that describes a lot of the process and issues you might face, you may find it helpful. My wife has gone through it all – radiation (of all kinds), surgery, chemo, immunotherapy – and has tumors just about everywhere. 

Nick

nickmac56
                                                                                        Participant

Nick

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                          Participant

Lisa–His wife.

I have one basic comment about your dislike of the title "Caregiver". There are many people that come here that, while having a wife or husband, do not have a real "CAREGIVER"  That is an honored term as the term "Wife or husband should be, but isn't always.  There are some here that are neither spouses, nor lovers that are highly respected caregivers still.  It is totally great that you are both.  This makes your husband a lucky man!

There are/were some, like our beloved NicOz, whose husband decided to leave the stress, wife and his daughter behind and go his separate way.  To combine both the terms into one as you have done is awesome.

You are very welcome her and are appreciated by more than just your husband.  How can you ask too many questions in learning about this disease?  Learning is the best chance for both of you!

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                            Participant

Lisa–His wife.

I have one basic comment about your dislike of the title "Caregiver". There are many people that come here that, while having a wife or husband, do not have a real "CAREGIVER"  That is an honored term as the term "Wife or husband should be, but isn't always.  There are some here that are neither spouses, nor lovers that are highly respected caregivers still.  It is totally great that you are both.  This makes your husband a lucky man!

There are/were some, like our beloved NicOz, whose husband decided to leave the stress, wife and his daughter behind and go his separate way.  To combine both the terms into one as you have done is awesome.

You are very welcome her and are appreciated by more than just your husband.  How can you ask too many questions in learning about this disease?  Learning is the best chance for both of you!

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                              Participant

Lisa–His wife.

MariaH
                                                                                                Participant

Hi Lisa.  I'm glad you found this board again.  The info and support you get here is amazing.  I've been coming here since my husband Dave was diagnosed in 2008.  Any questions I have asked, whether technical or emotional in nature, I have received good advice.  I for one am so thankful for this board –

I can agree with your "we" mentality.  I fight this disease alongside him, and have a tendency to say "we" alot.  I guess that happens after being together so long – maybe even the reason we have been.  He has never complained about me taking care of him too much, or finding too much information – so I guess I'm on the right path.

Although you are probably sick of hearing it, stay strong.  The two of you will get through this together.

Best wishes,

Maria (Wife of Dave, stage IV)

MariaH
                                                                                                  Participant

Hi Lisa.  I'm glad you found this board again.  The info and support you get here is amazing.  I've been coming here since my husband Dave was diagnosed in 2008.  Any questions I have asked, whether technical or emotional in nature, I have received good advice.  I for one am so thankful for this board –

I can agree with your "we" mentality.  I fight this disease alongside him, and have a tendency to say "we" alot.  I guess that happens after being together so long – maybe even the reason we have been.  He has never complained about me taking care of him too much, or finding too much information – so I guess I'm on the right path.

Although you are probably sick of hearing it, stay strong.  The two of you will get through this together.

Best wishes,

MariaH
                                                                                                    Participant

Best wishes,

Viewing 15 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics