The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Getting ready for my neck neck dissection on Friday.

Forums General Melanoma Community Getting ready for my neck neck dissection on Friday.

Participant

Really enjoy reading some of the posts on this board.  Once I have completed the procedure and am able to get back on this site I will be asking for different experiences with the aftercare.  Radiation, Interferon etc etc.  My surgeon says there will be a variety of options available, so that is a good thing.  But than again its the VA and you never know.  Good Luck everybody in their fight against this pain in the……disease. 

Tony

May 2012 stage 2 Clarke level IV…wx surgery

Really enjoy reading some of the posts on this board.  Once I have completed the procedure and am able to get back on this site I will be asking for different experiences with the aftercare.  Radiation, Interferon etc etc.  My surgeon says there will be a variety of options available, so that is a good thing.  But than again its the VA and you never know.  Good Luck everybody in their fight against this pain in the……disease. 

Tony

May 2012 stage 2 Clarke level IV…wx surgery

March 2013 reoccurrence same spot on should wx surgery……positive neck lymph nodes, armpit lymph nodes

April 2013 neck surgery.

May  2013 the real fight begins.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        audgator
        Participant

Best wishes to you, Tony.  I had 20+ nodes removed from my neck/shoulder area about 2.5 years ago.  I think I should have been more diligent in my post op physical therapy although the PT seemed satisfied. My neck is still stiff & I just started another round of therapy.  I also did radiation & interferon but I have no advice for you there. Your decision will be right for you.  I work part time at a VA (nothing involving cancer) and I am very pleased with how happy my fellow vets are with their care.    Dan

audgator
          Participant

Best wishes to you, Tony.  I had 20+ nodes removed from my neck/shoulder area about 2.5 years ago.  I think I should have been more diligent in my post op physical therapy although the PT seemed satisfied. My neck is still stiff & I just started another round of therapy.  I also did radiation & interferon but I have no advice for you there. Your decision will be right for you.  I work part time at a VA (nothing involving cancer) and I am very pleased with how happy my fellow vets are with their care.    Dan

tony9511
              Participant

Thank you so much.  I have full confidence in my oncologist/surgeon, he has been nothing short of spectacular.  The hardest part is stopping myself from thinking so much about this…and forgetting to ask the important questions like is it macro/micro etc etc.  I think I just have so much confidence in the Doctor that I just eventually tell myself whatever will be will be.  Thank you for helping/serving at the VA.  I am just learning the government system of Veterans Health Care, and most importantly more about this disease.  Good luck and stay strong!

Kuwait post Sept 11. 2001-2002

Korea 2002-2003

Iraq 2003

Afghanistan 2005-2006

Retired 2007.

tony9511
                Participant

Thank you so much.  I have full confidence in my oncologist/surgeon, he has been nothing short of spectacular.  The hardest part is stopping myself from thinking so much about this…and forgetting to ask the important questions like is it macro/micro etc etc.  I think I just have so much confidence in the Doctor that I just eventually tell myself whatever will be will be.  Thank you for helping/serving at the VA.  I am just learning the government system of Veterans Health Care, and most importantly more about this disease.  Good luck and stay strong!

Korea 2002-2003

Iraq 2003

Afghanistan 2005-2006

Retired 2007.

tony9511
                  Participant

Korea 2002-2003

Iraq 2003

Afghanistan 2005-2006

Retired 2007.

audgator
                  Participant

Janner
                    Participant

Good luck Tony!

tony9511
                        Participant

Thank you Janner.  You have answered many questions for me and gave me some guidance early on that was of so much value.

tony9511
                          Participant

Thank you Janner.  You have answered many questions for me and gave me some guidance early on that was of so much value.

tony9511
                            Participant

Janner
                            Participant

Good luck Tony!

Janner
                              Participant

Good luck Tony!

paul
                                Participant

Hello, Tony. I had nodes removed with neck resection and had to make choices you now face. It seems there is good evidence that radiation reduces rates of local recurrance. No evidence I've ever seen that Interferon improves overall survival rates. I would second what Audgator said about rehab post-surgery. None of the doctors really followed up with that and I ended up with frozen shoulder and some chronic pain–may not have been avoidable, but felt in the primary concern over the cancer some of the secondary effects were overlooked. 

Best of luck to you!

Paul

paul
                                  Participant

Hello, Tony. I had nodes removed with neck resection and had to make choices you now face. It seems there is good evidence that radiation reduces rates of local recurrance. No evidence I've ever seen that Interferon improves overall survival rates. I would second what Audgator said about rehab post-surgery. None of the doctors really followed up with that and I ended up with frozen shoulder and some chronic pain–may not have been avoidable, but felt in the primary concern over the cancer some of the secondary effects were overlooked. 

Best of luck to you!

Paul

tony9511
                                      Participant

Paul,

Thank you so much for the information.  I realize this is a delicate operation, and the risks are heavy.  I will focus and take the rehab seriously.  For the after treatment, I think I might prefer radiation.  However, I will look at all the options available to me and ask for feedback/experiences from people that were/are in the similar situation.

Tony

tony9511
                                        Participant

Paul,

Thank you so much for the information.  I realize this is a delicate operation, and the risks are heavy.  I will focus and take the rehab seriously.  For the after treatment, I think I might prefer radiation.  However, I will look at all the options available to me and ask for feedback/experiences from people that were/are in the similar situation.

Tony

tony9511
                                          Participant

Paul,

Tony

paul
                                          Participant

Best of luck to you!

Paul

sailinjeffnk
                                            Participant

I had a right total neck dissection in May 2012.  Had 48 nodes removed.  My surgeon was careful and didn't cut any of the important nerves, I just have a bit of a lazy lower lip.  Make sure you do your neck exercises early and often.  I had radiation to the site and I'm pretty sure that added a lot of stiffness.

You got this, dude!

sailinjeffnk
                                              Participant

I had a right total neck dissection in May 2012.  Had 48 nodes removed.  My surgeon was careful and didn't cut any of the important nerves, I just have a bit of a lazy lower lip.  Make sure you do your neck exercises early and often.  I had radiation to the site and I'm pretty sure that added a lot of stiffness.

You got this, dude!

tony9511
                                                  Participant

Thank you!  I hope I recover quickly. 

Tony

tony9511
                                                    Participant

Tony

NYKaren
                                                      Participant
                                                        Good luck Tony.
                                                        Karen
                                                        NYKaren
                                                        Participant
                                                          Good luck Tony.
                                                          Karen
                                                          NYKaren
                                                          Participant
                                                            Good luck Tony.
                                                            Karen
                                                            tony9511
                                                            Participant

Tony

sailinjeffnk
                                                            Participant

You got this, dude!

mark d
                                                              Participant
                                                                Tony
                                                                I was diagnosed with nodular melanoma on my earlobe in Feb 2013.. I had one sentinel node come back positive.. As per protocol I had to have a WLE on my neck. 21 nodes later and some nerves, everything came back negative. I am military and had this done at San Antonio military medical center. I have to give it to them for a job well done. The VA will be taking care of me soon. No matter who is doing the surgery or post surgery treatment there is a protocol they have to go by.. The thing you need to look for is someone who actually listens to you and your concerns. Not someone there just going by the numbers and hurry you out.. Yiu can request and should request to see someone else until you feel comfortable with them.. I fell i lucked out with SAMMC and the surgical oncologist i had. I am going to start interferon treatments next month. You have to have a positive outlook no matter what is said to you..I personally don’t believe that if you have a 4.2 mm nodule you are out of luck.. It all depends on you…Relax, sit back and breath.. Then live life…

Mark

mark d
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Tony
                                                                  I was diagnosed with nodular melanoma on my earlobe in Feb 2013.. I had one sentinel node come back positive.. As per protocol I had to have a WLE on my neck. 21 nodes later and some nerves, everything came back negative. I am military and had this done at San Antonio military medical center. I have to give it to them for a job well done. The VA will be taking care of me soon. No matter who is doing the surgery or post surgery treatment there is a protocol they have to go by.. The thing you need to look for is someone who actually listens to you and your concerns. Not someone there just going by the numbers and hurry you out.. Yiu can request and should request to see someone else until you feel comfortable with them.. I fell i lucked out with SAMMC and the surgical oncologist i had. I am going to start interferon treatments next month. You have to have a positive outlook no matter what is said to you..I personally don’t believe that if you have a 4.2 mm nodule you are out of luck.. It all depends on you…Relax, sit back and breath.. Then live life…

Mark

mark d
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    Tony

Mark

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics