The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Genes

Participant
      Hi,
      I’m starting to realize the role genes play in our future. After having melanoma four times and having a breast cancer scare it got me thinking…by having melanoma are we predisposed to other specific cancers?
      Thank you.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

The other skin cancers, yes.  And if you have one of the genetic defects for melanoma (~10%), you may have a predisoposition for other cancers.  For the defect I have (CDKN2A), I was given between an 11-17% chance of having pancreatic cancer.  (76% lifetime risk of melanoma)..  Other cancers were also listed but the data wasn't mature enough to give me good info.  (I have the list stashed somewhere but don't remember the other possibilities – except I don't believe BC was one listed for my particular defect).   The numbers might have changed some since this was over ten years ago and they likely have more info now.  So if you have a genetic default that put you at high risk for melanoma, it is possible that other cancers also carry a higher risk.  But if you don't have a genetic defect identified, then your melanoma diagnosis likely doesn't play any roll in other cancers. 

Janner
          Participant

The other skin cancers, yes.  And if you have one of the genetic defects for melanoma (~10%), you may have a predisoposition for other cancers.  For the defect I have (CDKN2A), I was given between an 11-17% chance of having pancreatic cancer.  (76% lifetime risk of melanoma)..  Other cancers were also listed but the data wasn't mature enough to give me good info.  (I have the list stashed somewhere but don't remember the other possibilities – except I don't believe BC was one listed for my particular defect).   The numbers might have changed some since this was over ten years ago and they likely have more info now.  So if you have a genetic default that put you at high risk for melanoma, it is possible that other cancers also carry a higher risk.  But if you don't have a genetic defect identified, then your melanoma diagnosis likely doesn't play any roll in other cancers. 

Janner
            Participant

Mli0709
              Participant

My mother's oncologist shared with us that melanoma may be highly linked to breast cancer and she tested my mom for breast cancer genes after her melanoma diagnosis. My mother also had a sister who died from breast cancer when they were younger so she has a family history of breast cancer.  I'm not sure what studies are out there that prove relationship but there might be a link. 

Mli0709
                Participant

My mother's oncologist shared with us that melanoma may be highly linked to breast cancer and she tested my mom for breast cancer genes after her melanoma diagnosis. My mother also had a sister who died from breast cancer when they were younger so she has a family history of breast cancer.  I'm not sure what studies are out there that prove relationship but there might be a link. 

Mli0709
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics