The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

general malaise and melanoma

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community general malaise and melanoma

Participant

Hi again,

I'm sixty-three years old. I have had five sites surgically removed:two melanoma, two basal and one squamous. I have a sixth site (squamous) about to be removed next week from my chin. The largest melanoma, on my back, was a wound the size of a softball when it was finally closed nearly a week after beginning the 'slow Moh' surgery. I now have the "mark of Zorro' on my back, the scar left after about 70 sutures there.

Hi again,

I'm sixty-three years old. I have had five sites surgically removed:two melanoma, two basal and one squamous. I have a sixth site (squamous) about to be removed next week from my chin. The largest melanoma, on my back, was a wound the size of a softball when it was finally closed nearly a week after beginning the 'slow Moh' surgery. I now have the "mark of Zorro' on my back, the scar left after about 70 sutures there.

I am also diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. I am heat intolerant, and this has been a brutally hot month in Massachusetts. I'm not  a summer person; never have been. I did take nightly injections which targeted my strong immune system, and I believe weakened it. Following that, the skin cancers began appearing. I no longer inject. Doctors still prescribe the injections, though ten year studies have proven them ineffective.

The surgical sites are all far from each other; right shoulder, left back, left forearm, right shin, left calf, and now my chin. My dentist is also watching a rough spot under the side of my tongue that becomes irritated when i eat hot food. He'll see me again in two weeks to follow up on that.

My face has changed in shape from an oval to an inverted triangle. My cheeks are hollow. I have brown spots on my right cheek, near the cheekbone. I fear that we will continue finding these sites and surgery will be never ending. I've had eight Moh surgeries over the past year at theoe five sites.

I am so very conscious that others here are in more serious condition, and I apologize for coming back again with what may be trivial worries. I'm just wondering if the fatigue and general sense of weakness is too easily attributed to the diagnosis of MS, and perhaps that easy assumption is mistaken.

I do take a maximum dose antidepressant for clinical depression and anxiety. I began that two years into the MS injections.A psychologist tells me that I have PTSD following the diagnosis of MS, the war death of my nephew in Afghanistan, death of my sister and brother of unrelated diseases (kidney failure and lung cancer.) And my unexpected, unplanned for early retirement that limited my pension, etc. etc. etc.

I'm worried that the skin cancers are widespread throughout my body and perhaps I actually have 'cancer' with the capital C, rather than 'just' skin cancer.

And I'm worried that I'm making too much of this.  I'm still on a three month schedule of dermatology visits for cursory skin exams. He generally asks me if I have any spots I'm concerned with, and then spends about 40 seconds looking at my skin top to bottom, back and front. I'm in and out (other than the time spent changing into the paper towel 'gown' and then back into clothes) in less than three minutes time with the dermatologist.

Is this what is supposed to be happening? I am reluctant to tell him of any sites myself. I just spent a month hiding from the sunlight due to a strong reaction to Picato, which the dermatologist tried instead of more cryosurgery (I've had dozens of cryosurgeries between real surgeries.)

Any thoughts? Tell me to sit down and shut up? Pat my on the shoulder? Could this be real Cancer?

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

Hi, Chalkpens-

I can see that you have had a rough couple of years! You have had a lot to deal with medically, emotionally, and financially. You have every right to be stressed out and anxious. That sounds pretty normal to me. 

Melanoma doesn't cause malaise until it is well advanced with many tumors throughout the body. Such metastases are usually easily detected with PET or CT scans. Many people are already stage IV when they are diagnosed because they felt fine– they had no idea they had cancer. So my guess is that what you are feeling is a combination of anxiety, depression, and MS. All I can suggest is that you do whatever you can to treat the MS. Also remain vigilant about your skin lesions– clearly you have been smart to do that.

With so many odd "spots" on your skin, have you considered having whole-body photographs taken (I think it's called "mole mapping"). The thing to watch out for is lesions that change. If you have the mole-mapping procedure done, your dermatologist can follow the progress of each lesion and focus only on those that are changing. That might help you avoid so many procedures and also give you some peace of mind. 

POW
          Participant

Hi, Chalkpens-

I can see that you have had a rough couple of years! You have had a lot to deal with medically, emotionally, and financially. You have every right to be stressed out and anxious. That sounds pretty normal to me. 

Melanoma doesn't cause malaise until it is well advanced with many tumors throughout the body. Such metastases are usually easily detected with PET or CT scans. Many people are already stage IV when they are diagnosed because they felt fine– they had no idea they had cancer. So my guess is that what you are feeling is a combination of anxiety, depression, and MS. All I can suggest is that you do whatever you can to treat the MS. Also remain vigilant about your skin lesions– clearly you have been smart to do that.

With so many odd "spots" on your skin, have you considered having whole-body photographs taken (I think it's called "mole mapping"). The thing to watch out for is lesions that change. If you have the mole-mapping procedure done, your dermatologist can follow the progress of each lesion and focus only on those that are changing. That might help you avoid so many procedures and also give you some peace of mind. 

POW
            Participant

Hi, Chalkpens-

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

Let's get one thing straight, you have CANCER.  There is no such thing as Melanoma as "Cancer"  or "cancer" as a single entity.  Skin cancer is not just cancer, when you look at causes, oncoproteins, DNA mutations, signaling paths, etc, even Melanoma is not just one cancer, but many varitites. 

Since very few people have the problemS you have had with "SKIN CANCERS"  It sounds like you are doing a fair job of working the problem.  Make sure full body checks are done.  I understand that only about 10% or less of patients even get multiple primaries.  You might want to also get on Janners Group that is for stage one people.  (She's not as scary as us stager IV'ers

I do not think you are making too much of this.  I do say to not get paranoid, but DO STAY VIGILANT.  More Melanoma's and other skin cancers are found by the patients themselves than are found by the Dermatologists and Oncologists.  I do disagree with a 3 minute Dermatologist check.  Melanoma can appear on much more than just the sun exposed skin surfaces.  Read my profile.  I was not a nudist, but did get melanoma where the sun didn't shine.  Ladies can get Melanoma in the front door to their privates as well as the back door and are seldom checked thoroughly in the nasal, oral, vaginal, vulva, and anal areas.  These areas are often not checked by Dermatologists until the patient complains.  By the time the patient complains of spots in these areas one is likely to be beyond stage I.  The higher the stage, the less likelyhood that the Melanoma (or any cancer) can be controlled.  A through check has not been done if you have not had to strip (at least each section at a time.) 

I have to be curious as to whether you have spent  much time sunbathing or in tanning booths/?

There are other people on this board that have both Melanoma and MS.  You are not alone there either. One man has been fighting Melanoma at the stage IV level for about 17 years and has MS on top of it.  Keep finding things at stage 1.  You don't really want to ask how many other patients have had active disease at the Stage IV level that long.    Keep finding things at stage 1.

Stay alert, active and enjoy the good moments in life.

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

Let's get one thing straight, you have CANCER.  There is no such thing as Melanoma as "Cancer"  or "cancer" as a single entity.  Skin cancer is not just cancer, when you look at causes, oncoproteins, DNA mutations, signaling paths, etc, even Melanoma is not just one cancer, but many varitites. 

Since very few people have the problemS you have had with "SKIN CANCERS"  It sounds like you are doing a fair job of working the problem.  Make sure full body checks are done.  I understand that only about 10% or less of patients even get multiple primaries.  You might want to also get on Janners Group that is for stage one people.  (She's not as scary as us stager IV'ers

I do not think you are making too much of this.  I do say to not get paranoid, but DO STAY VIGILANT.  More Melanoma's and other skin cancers are found by the patients themselves than are found by the Dermatologists and Oncologists.  I do disagree with a 3 minute Dermatologist check.  Melanoma can appear on much more than just the sun exposed skin surfaces.  Read my profile.  I was not a nudist, but did get melanoma where the sun didn't shine.  Ladies can get Melanoma in the front door to their privates as well as the back door and are seldom checked thoroughly in the nasal, oral, vaginal, vulva, and anal areas.  These areas are often not checked by Dermatologists until the patient complains.  By the time the patient complains of spots in these areas one is likely to be beyond stage I.  The higher the stage, the less likelyhood that the Melanoma (or any cancer) can be controlled.  A through check has not been done if you have not had to strip (at least each section at a time.) 

I have to be curious as to whether you have spent  much time sunbathing or in tanning booths/?

There are other people on this board that have both Melanoma and MS.  You are not alone there either. One man has been fighting Melanoma at the stage IV level for about 17 years and has MS on top of it.  Keep finding things at stage 1.  You don't really want to ask how many other patients have had active disease at the Stage IV level that long.    Keep finding things at stage 1.

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

Janner
                    Participant

I think that you've got a lot of things going on, but I don't think much of it is directly related to skin cancer.  I think body photography is the way to go for your pigmented spots.  I might also suggest a topical chemo on your sun exposed areas?  See if you can bring up all the early pre-cancers and cancers and get rid of the AKs, BCCs and SCCs early.  It might give you a break from the constant cutting.  It's not a fun treatment at all and might be better done when you are feeling a little better.  The thing is, once you've had any of the skin cancers, you are at higher risk for the others.  I have quite a few friends who go through the same deal – from one surgery to the next and mostly they are getting non-melanoma skin cancers cut out.  None of it is fun, but I think you just need to work on keeping it in perspective.  You're being proactive, catching this stuff early.  Letting things get away from you by being in denial is going to cause you more harm in the end than dealing with these cancer surgeries every three months.  It's fine to complain here – we all have our moments when we can deal with things and times where everything is a big burden.  It is what it is.  But just take things one day at a time.  And truthfully, maybe it is time to find a different derm — one that seems to regard you a bit more as a person and gvies you the time that you deserve.   If I have nothing to bring up, my doc does a full exam but that still doesn't take all that much time.  But if I have something to bring up, he is there and the time is mine.  Maybe you need someone who is a bit more there for you!

Best wishes,

Janner.

Janner
                      Participant

I think that you've got a lot of things going on, but I don't think much of it is directly related to skin cancer.  I think body photography is the way to go for your pigmented spots.  I might also suggest a topical chemo on your sun exposed areas?  See if you can bring up all the early pre-cancers and cancers and get rid of the AKs, BCCs and SCCs early.  It might give you a break from the constant cutting.  It's not a fun treatment at all and might be better done when you are feeling a little better.  The thing is, once you've had any of the skin cancers, you are at higher risk for the others.  I have quite a few friends who go through the same deal – from one surgery to the next and mostly they are getting non-melanoma skin cancers cut out.  None of it is fun, but I think you just need to work on keeping it in perspective.  You're being proactive, catching this stuff early.  Letting things get away from you by being in denial is going to cause you more harm in the end than dealing with these cancer surgeries every three months.  It's fine to complain here – we all have our moments when we can deal with things and times where everything is a big burden.  It is what it is.  But just take things one day at a time.  And truthfully, maybe it is time to find a different derm — one that seems to regard you a bit more as a person and gvies you the time that you deserve.   If I have nothing to bring up, my doc does a full exam but that still doesn't take all that much time.  But if I have something to bring up, he is there and the time is mine.  Maybe you need someone who is a bit more there for you!

Best wishes,

Janner.

Janner
                        Participant

Best wishes,

Janner.

JC
                          Participant

Were they all caught early?  If so then I would prefer instead of saying "I have cancer" to "I had cancer."  If early melanomas are considered completely removed, it's gone, you had cancer.  Opting to use a presumption of quietly lurking disease terminology-especially if it affects you negatively-isn't necessary to the survivorship of this disease or membership in the cancer community. 

chalknpens
                            Participant

Thanks for replying, POW. I read your profile and want to extend my sympathy for the loss of your brother. He was a lucky man to have such a devoted relative.

I've begun to take photographs of some sites, and think your suggestion is a very valuable one. I'll continue to do that; we're so lucky to have digital cameras and easy storage of files.

Be well, and thanks again for your advice.

chalknpens
                              Participant

No tanning booths for me; I'm Scot-Irish with light skin, blue eyes and freckles that darken in summer and lighen in winter. At least they used to do that when I was a child and spent all day every day outside 'til the street lights came on. Now I hide from the sun as much as possible as I am heat intolerant and have been since childhood.

I'm sure this begins as childhood exposure … in the fifties there was no sunblock with spf factors, at least not where I lived in the city. We had an ocean harbor beach less than half a mile from my neighborhood, and we spent almost all of the summer there or at the park/playground nearby. I often had burns that would then peel off in long strips of dry skin, leaving new pink skin behind, and a few more freckles.

The MS has heat intolerance as a common symptom. So I don't mind staying out of the sun.Most of my sisters and brothers love the sun and the beach and the golf course etc. etc. I like staying indoors by the AC, reading and writing.

Thanks for answering me here … I do appreciate your words about cancer being cancer, whichever it is. I will look for Janner's stage 1 group … thanks for the tip!

chalknpens
                                Participant

Thanks for your response here, Janner. Another poster suggested I join your stage 1 group, so I will look for that. I talked with a different doctor today (psychiatrist who helps me with meds for depression) and he spoke in very similar words to yours … it's not fun and it may not ever be done but keeping it in the early stages will ward off bigger problems. He's right, and you're right, and so for now I will keep at it. I've shoved MS and its complications to the back of my mind for now, but it won't stay there forever. I just have to teach them both to take turns!

chalknpens
                                  Participant

Thanks for your response here, Janner. Another poster suggested I join your stage 1 group, so I will look for that. I talked with a different doctor today (psychiatrist who helps me with meds for depression) and he spoke in very similar words to yours … it's not fun and it may not ever be done but keeping it in the early stages will ward off bigger problems. He's right, and you're right, and so for now I will keep at it. I've shoved MS and its complications to the back of my mind for now, but it won't stay there forever. I just have to teach them both to take turns!

Janner
                                    Participant

CLick on my name and send me an email.  The group is a private email group and I will have to send you an invitation.

JC
                                      Participant

Were they all caught early?  If so then I would prefer instead of saying "I have cancer" to "I had cancer."  If early melanomas are considered completely removed, it's gone, you had cancer.  Opting to use a presumption of quietly lurking disease terminology-especially if it affects you negatively-isn't necessary to the survivorship of this disease or membership in the cancer community. 

JC
                                        Participant

chalknpens
                                          Participant

No tanning booths for me; I'm Scot-Irish with light skin, blue eyes and freckles that darken in summer and lighen in winter. At least they used to do that when I was a child and spent all day every day outside 'til the street lights came on. Now I hide from the sun as much as possible as I am heat intolerant and have been since childhood.

I'm sure this begins as childhood exposure … in the fifties there was no sunblock with spf factors, at least not where I lived in the city. We had an ocean harbor beach less than half a mile from my neighborhood, and we spent almost all of the summer there or at the park/playground nearby. I often had burns that would then peel off in long strips of dry skin, leaving new pink skin behind, and a few more freckles.

The MS has heat intolerance as a common symptom. So I don't mind staying out of the sun.Most of my sisters and brothers love the sun and the beach and the golf course etc. etc. I like staying indoors by the AC, reading and writing.

Thanks for answering me here … I do appreciate your words about cancer being cancer, whichever it is. I will look for Janner's stage 1 group … thanks for the tip!

chalknpens
                                            Participant

chalknpens
                                              Participant

Thanks for replying, POW. I read your profile and want to extend my sympathy for the loss of your brother. He was a lucky man to have such a devoted relative.

I've begun to take photographs of some sites, and think your suggestion is a very valuable one. I'll continue to do that; we're so lucky to have digital cameras and easy storage of files.

chalknpens
                                                Participant

chalknpens
                                                  Participant

chalknpens
                                                    Participant

chalknpens
                                                      Participant

chalknpens
                                                        Participant

Janner
                                                          Participant

CLick on my name and send me an email.  The group is a private email group and I will have to send you an invitation.

Janner
                                                            Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics