The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

GENERAL CONSENSUS FOR SCAN SCHEDULE

Forums General Melanoma Community GENERAL CONSENSUS FOR SCAN SCHEDULE

Participant

I'm in my 4th month of interferon treatment.  All things considered it is going well.  I wanted to see what other patient's oncologist recommend for their scan schedule.  From what I've seen it seems like most recommend a brain MRI and petscan every three months for the first year.  I'm coming up on my 6 month scan and the oncologist is only recommending the petscan.  I'm insisting on the brain MRI as well.  Was curious what others are doing. 

Brian

I'm in my 4th month of interferon treatment.  All things considered it is going well.  I wanted to see what other patient's oncologist recommend for their scan schedule.  From what I've seen it seems like most recommend a brain MRI and petscan every three months for the first year.  I'm coming up on my 6 month scan and the oncologist is only recommending the petscan.  I'm insisting on the brain MRI as well.  Was curious what others are doing. 

Brian

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        JakeinNY
        Participant

Hey Brian,

I believe that the PET scan would show up almost anything, including the brain.

JakeinNY
          Participant

Hey Brian,

Gene_S
              Participant

My husbands Dr. told us that pet scans do not show brain lesions.  That MRI's are for brain scans.

yoopergirl
                Participant

That is what my doctor said also, so am scheduled for an mri and cat scan on the 26th.

yoopergirl
                  Participant

That is what my doctor said also, so am scheduled for an mri and cat scan on the 26th.

yoopergirl
                    Participant

Gene_S
                      Participant

My husbands Dr. told us that pet scans do not show brain lesions.  That MRI's are for brain scans.

Gene_S
                        Participant

JakeinNY
                        Participant

Hey Brian,

Janner
                          Participant

Consensus?  I've been here for over 10 years and the one thing I've learned regarding scans, there isn't any consensus.  Many won't do any scans at all while on Interferon.  I seen some notes that Interferon could produce more false positives.  (I have no reference for this at my fingertips, however).  Many don't do any scans at all for stage III unless there are symptoms.  (This also applies to stage IV at many places). Scans are expensive and big business and some insurance companies won't pay for periodic scans either without symptoms.   It might also help if you would specify you exact staging.  Stage IIIC might have scans where stage IIIA might not.  I will say that I don't think brain MRI's are common scans for stage III without symptoms – the PET/CT is certainly the standard.  You'll find the whole gamut on scan frequency here.  Studies have indicated that scans don't improve overall survival which is why many institutions don't regularly scan. 

Good luck in finding what works for you.

Janner

Janner
                            Participant

Consensus?  I've been here for over 10 years and the one thing I've learned regarding scans, there isn't any consensus.  Many won't do any scans at all while on Interferon.  I seen some notes that Interferon could produce more false positives.  (I have no reference for this at my fingertips, however).  Many don't do any scans at all for stage III unless there are symptoms.  (This also applies to stage IV at many places). Scans are expensive and big business and some insurance companies won't pay for periodic scans either without symptoms.   It might also help if you would specify you exact staging.  Stage IIIC might have scans where stage IIIA might not.  I will say that I don't think brain MRI's are common scans for stage III without symptoms – the PET/CT is certainly the standard.  You'll find the whole gamut on scan frequency here.  Studies have indicated that scans don't improve overall survival which is why many institutions don't regularly scan. 

Janner

Janner
                              Participant

Janner

Frannie55
                                Participant

I have PET scans every six months. I had head CT's with the last two (my last scan was today). I am stage four and am am NED since 04/10 and hope that tomorrow I will find out that I am still NED when I meat with the Melanoma Clinic in Grand Rapids, MI for the first time. I will post their recommendations for further scans.

Frannie55
                                  Participant

I have PET scans every six months. I had head CT's with the last two (my last scan was today). I am stage four and am am NED since 04/10 and hope that tomorrow I will find out that I am still NED when I meat with the Melanoma Clinic in Grand Rapids, MI for the first time. I will post their recommendations for further scans.

Frannie55
                                    Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                      Participant

Brian, PET scans and CT scans do not by themselves say cancer.  They show locations of high glucose high concentrationsn for furhter examination..  Guess what the brian will show in all PET/CT scans?  MRI's are much more definitive for the brain.  I have been stage IV since Feb 2007.  My first and last brain MRI for Oncology purposes was in early 2007.  If I were to push for one, my Oncologist would so request.  He has seen no symptions that makes either of us feel a need.  If I had headaches or other brain related type problems he would be glad to check.  (Glad it's his definition of symptoms, not my kids!)   Due to a horse accident there was one brain MRI done by the Denver Neuological Intensive Care Unit (NICU) in Aug 2010 which showed intensive trauma to my head/brain and many broken facial/head bones as well as damage to my body, but nothing to make them look hard for brain tumors.  They did see my many lung tumors on the accompaning CT's. 

PET scans are used more to highlite locations for further examonation.  They are also  famous for having fase positives and false negatives.  (Yes, I knkow my knee was mangled in a car wreck in 1980, but I don't think the Oncologist needs to do extensive followup on that knee for melanoma in 2007.  I also know of the many other injuries that the PET report told the Oncologist to follow closely. (Even on my dental work!)   PET scans expose one to higher radiation dosages than  CT's and are less definitive of changes with time.

Even with stable tumors I now get Ct's every 6 months.   Dependig on what was going on I have received CT's at monthly, every two months, every three months and ever 6 months.

By only asking for a PET scn now I would think that your Oncologist is not really expecting to find tumors, but is playing it safe to see if any new locations light up for further examination.

JerryfromFauq
                                        Participant

Brian, PET scans and CT scans do not by themselves say cancer.  They show locations of high glucose high concentrationsn for furhter examination..  Guess what the brian will show in all PET/CT scans?  MRI's are much more definitive for the brain.  I have been stage IV since Feb 2007.  My first and last brain MRI for Oncology purposes was in early 2007.  If I were to push for one, my Oncologist would so request.  He has seen no symptions that makes either of us feel a need.  If I had headaches or other brain related type problems he would be glad to check.  (Glad it's his definition of symptoms, not my kids!)   Due to a horse accident there was one brain MRI done by the Denver Neuological Intensive Care Unit (NICU) in Aug 2010 which showed intensive trauma to my head/brain and many broken facial/head bones as well as damage to my body, but nothing to make them look hard for brain tumors.  They did see my many lung tumors on the accompaning CT's. 

PET scans are used more to highlite locations for further examonation.  They are also  famous for having fase positives and false negatives.  (Yes, I knkow my knee was mangled in a car wreck in 1980, but I don't think the Oncologist needs to do extensive followup on that knee for melanoma in 2007.  I also know of the many other injuries that the PET report told the Oncologist to follow closely. (Even on my dental work!)   PET scans expose one to higher radiation dosages than  CT's and are less definitive of changes with time.

Even with stable tumors I now get Ct's every 6 months.   Dependig on what was going on I have received CT's at monthly, every two months, every three months and ever 6 months.

By only asking for a PET scn now I would think that your Oncologist is not really expecting to find tumors, but is playing it safe to see if any new locations light up for further examination.

JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

Lauri England
                                            Participant

I am stage III and 6 months after interferon treatments.  I did not have any scans while on the interferon.  My scans worked like this.  I had a MRI and CT scan in the beginning before any treatments.  1 month after finishing Interferon I had a CT scan.  3 months later I had my 1st PET scan.  I am now on CT scans every 3 months.  My next one is scheduled for next month.  April.  They will not do another MRI of brain unless I have symptems.  Thats how my scan schedule works so far.  Good luck and God Bless!!

BrianP
                                                Participant

Thanks for all the responses.  I had my PET scan 28 March.  Unfortunately we didn't get the results we wanted.  There was a suspicious spot on my lung.  I was immediately scheduled for a CAT scan and brain MRI.  After studying the CAT scan and PET scan the radiologist and oncologist concluded that the spot was probably not cancer.  I am scheduled for another CAT scan in 4 weeks to monitor the new spot.  It was definitely an emotional rollercoaster of a day.  Thanks to some of the info you all provided I knew that false positives were a possibility while on interferon.  That definitely helped get through the day.  Thanks again for the information and support.

Brian

6 months NED?

BrianP
                                                  Participant

Thanks for all the responses.  I had my PET scan 28 March.  Unfortunately we didn't get the results we wanted.  There was a suspicious spot on my lung.  I was immediately scheduled for a CAT scan and brain MRI.  After studying the CAT scan and PET scan the radiologist and oncologist concluded that the spot was probably not cancer.  I am scheduled for another CAT scan in 4 weeks to monitor the new spot.  It was definitely an emotional rollercoaster of a day.  Thanks to some of the info you all provided I knew that false positives were a possibility while on interferon.  That definitely helped get through the day.  Thanks again for the information and support.

Brian

6 months NED?

BrianP
                                                    Participant

Brian

6 months NED?

Lauri England
                                                    Participant

I am stage III and 6 months after interferon treatments.  I did not have any scans while on the interferon.  My scans worked like this.  I had a MRI and CT scan in the beginning before any treatments.  1 month after finishing Interferon I had a CT scan.  3 months later I had my 1st PET scan.  I am now on CT scans every 3 months.  My next one is scheduled for next month.  April.  They will not do another MRI of brain unless I have symptems.  Thats how my scan schedule works so far.  Good luck and God Bless!!

Lauri England
                                                      Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics