The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

General advice on scar care?

Forums General Melanoma Community General advice on scar care?

Participant

Though I know the aesthetics of wound care and best ways to minimize scar appearance are likely the least of most melanoma survivors' concerns, trying to make the most of your skin's healing from procedures is a step in recovery in my opinion.  Other than keeping your wounds/scars out of the sun, are there any tips/tricks any of you have used or learned from your doctors to promote healing and/or lessen the appearance of your scars? 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Squash
        Participant

Rose hip oil rubbed into the scar promotes healing of the scar.

I also used castor oil packs around the area as a preventative measure against local rcerrence.

amelanomajourney
            Participant

Any kind of moisturizer is helpful (save for Vaseline which can actually stop the wound from "breathing").  A mepiform dressing could also do the trick if applied regularly for 6 months.  It is expensive and a nussance to wear, but some of the before and after photos are impressive.  I used it on my skin graft and think it took down keloid scar growth and lightened the colour.

Otherwise time will play the biggest role – you'll be very impressed at the healing by the 12 month mark!

amelanomajourney
              Participant

Any kind of moisturizer is helpful (save for Vaseline which can actually stop the wound from "breathing").  A mepiform dressing could also do the trick if applied regularly for 6 months.  It is expensive and a nussance to wear, but some of the before and after photos are impressive.  I used it on my skin graft and think it took down keloid scar growth and lightened the colour.

Otherwise time will play the biggest role – you'll be very impressed at the healing by the 12 month mark!

amelanomajourney
                Participant

Squash
                Participant

I also used castor oil packs around the area as a preventative measure against local rcerrence.

Squash
                  Participant

ldub
                    Participant

Thanks for all of the suggestions – I had not heard of most of them.  I think that passage of time probably does most of the work, but sounds like you all have had some success with topicals. 

ldub
                      Participant

Thanks for all of the suggestions – I had not heard of most of them.  I think that passage of time probably does most of the work, but sounds like you all have had some success with topicals. 

ldub
                        Participant

LaurenE
                          Participant

In general, anything that contains Vitamin E will aid in healing. There are serums out there in health food aisles of different concentrations that you can apply to your scar and may improve healing. There is also some good evidence for topical zinc. 

As it continues to heal, massage the scar area to keep it from tightening too much.

Check with your surgeon before you start doing too much to make sure it's at the right stage of healing!!

ldub
                              Participant

Thanks Lauren – I am good to go with my scar – my surgery was about two months ago.  I have been lightly massaging it with cream morning and night – so far no keloid, but since my skin tends to do that, I am sure there is a fair chance I will still end up with one.  Do you know anything about those silicone scar sheets or Mederma cream?  I read somewhere online an informational document given by a surgical assistant to his surgeon's patients on scar treatment and he said these two things (and arnica oil?) have been effective in many patients in reducing the appearance of scars. 

ldub
                                Participant

Thanks Lauren – I am good to go with my scar – my surgery was about two months ago.  I have been lightly massaging it with cream morning and night – so far no keloid, but since my skin tends to do that, I am sure there is a fair chance I will still end up with one.  Do you know anything about those silicone scar sheets or Mederma cream?  I read somewhere online an informational document given by a surgical assistant to his surgeon's patients on scar treatment and he said these two things (and arnica oil?) have been effective in many patients in reducing the appearance of scars. 

ldub
                                  Participant

LaurenE
                                  Participant

In general, anything that contains Vitamin E will aid in healing. There are serums out there in health food aisles of different concentrations that you can apply to your scar and may improve healing. There is also some good evidence for topical zinc. 

As it continues to heal, massage the scar area to keep it from tightening too much.

Check with your surgeon before you start doing too much to make sure it's at the right stage of healing!!

LaurenE
                                    Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics