The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Gcmaf

Participant

Has anyone tried Gcmaf to increase immune system

Has anyone tried Gcmaf to increase immune system

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

If you do a search on this site for GM-CSF or Leukine, you will find others who have used it in trials or stand-alone.  Note the spelling which is different from your subject.

(Granulocyte macrophage colony-stimulating factor)

Janner
          Participant

If you do a search on this site for GM-CSF or Leukine, you will find others who have used it in trials or stand-alone.  Note the spelling which is different from your subject.

_Paul_
              Participant
                There is a phase 1 clinical trial underway at Johns Hopkins (J1112) where they are determining the safety of administering a GVAX vaccine. This consists of lab-grown melanoma cells irradiated to prevent reproduction and genetically altered to secrete GMCSF. You can google “melanoma gvax” for more info.

– Paul

_Paul_
                Participant
                  There is a phase 1 clinical trial underway at Johns Hopkins (J1112) where they are determining the safety of administering a GVAX vaccine. This consists of lab-grown melanoma cells irradiated to prevent reproduction and genetically altered to secrete GMCSF. You can google “melanoma gvax” for more info.

– Paul

_Paul_
                  Participant

– Paul

Janner
                  Participant

killmel
                    Participant

I took Gm-csf and at nine months I had a recurrence. (14 days on, 14 days off)

This drug increases your Tcells but your Tcells need to know to kill the cancer 

killmel
                      Participant

killmel
                        Participant

Ann from Iowa
                          Participant

My husband did one year of Leukine and is now 4 1/2 years out from his original nodular melanoma diagnosis.  You can read his profile to learn the details of his melanoma and treatment.  It has been two years now since he stopped treatment which also included radiation to his left axillary and the removal of 32 lymph nodes to that area.  He is just fine, NED at this point.  As I said, please read his profile, it is under Ann from Iowa.    Or you can write me directly at [email protected] if you want more information.  Dennis is Stage IIIB, we have a friend who is Stage IV and was treated at the Mayo Clinic with a combo drug which included Leukine.  She is now 10 years from original diagnosis.  Another lady we know is also Stage IV and has been on Leukine for 5 years.  Her doctor at Mayo Clinic said that as long as she stays NED on it they will continue the treatment.  I realize that most doctors no longer use Leukine for treatment as his Dr. said that he would not considering the stage of cancer he had when they used it.  He did not do Leukine at Stage IIB, nothing but watch and wait at that time.  Leukine begain after he had a recurrance in his lymph nodes, 5 cm with extranodal extension.  For him is either has worked or at least is giving him quite an extended time to recurrance.  Very few side effects either.   Good luck.

Ann from Iowa
                            Participant

My husband did one year of Leukine and is now 4 1/2 years out from his original nodular melanoma diagnosis.  You can read his profile to learn the details of his melanoma and treatment.  It has been two years now since he stopped treatment which also included radiation to his left axillary and the removal of 32 lymph nodes to that area.  He is just fine, NED at this point.  As I said, please read his profile, it is under Ann from Iowa.    Or you can write me directly at [email protected] if you want more information.  Dennis is Stage IIIB, we have a friend who is Stage IV and was treated at the Mayo Clinic with a combo drug which included Leukine.  She is now 10 years from original diagnosis.  Another lady we know is also Stage IV and has been on Leukine for 5 years.  Her doctor at Mayo Clinic said that as long as she stays NED on it they will continue the treatment.  I realize that most doctors no longer use Leukine for treatment as his Dr. said that he would not considering the stage of cancer he had when they used it.  He did not do Leukine at Stage IIB, nothing but watch and wait at that time.  Leukine begain after he had a recurrance in his lymph nodes, 5 cm with extranodal extension.  For him is either has worked or at least is giving him quite an extended time to recurrance.  Very few side effects either.   Good luck.

Ann from Iowa
                              Participant

Tracy Seattle
                                Participant
                                  I have researched it some but don’t know anyone who has tried it for Melanoma. I know someone who has seen positive results in treating Lyme disease. I don’t think any mainstream cancer doctors are using it. I think it may be considered more of an alternative therapy. If you decide to try it, I would be very interested in your results.
                                  Tracy Seattle
                                  Participant
                                    I have researched it some but don’t know anyone who has tried it for Melanoma. I know someone who has seen positive results in treating Lyme disease. I don’t think any mainstream cancer doctors are using it. I think it may be considered more of an alternative therapy. If you decide to try it, I would be very interested in your results.
                                    Tracy Seattle
                                    Participant
                                      Roxy1453
                                      Participant
                                        I’m stage IV and took GM-CSF for a year. It kept things at bay but as soon as I went off things started up again. I guess if you stay on it, it helps but it’s not fun. You give yourself a shot everyday for two weeks then you’re off for two. It has to be refrigerated and if you have to travel it’s a pain.

Good luck,

Nancy

Roxy1453
                                        Participant
                                          I’m stage IV and took GM-CSF for a year. It kept things at bay but as soon as I went off things started up again. I guess if you stay on it, it helps but it’s not fun. You give yourself a shot everyday for two weeks then you’re off for two. It has to be refrigerated and if you have to travel it’s a pain.

Good luck,

Nancy

Roxy1453
                                          Participant

Good luck,

Nancy

LynnLuc
                                            Participant

My onc suggested it after I had surgery. I am stage 4 and had a 6.8 cent melanoma removed from my lymph nodes. The thing is my oc also told me there has been no evidence that the Leukine injections would prolong reoccurance AND a studies from the Jonsson Center (UCLA) showed it had no benefit whatsoever if the melanoma was in the lymph nodes…I opted not to do it. I am in a anti pd 1 /vaccine trial and been NED for over 2 yrs 9 months.

LynnLuc
                                              Participant

My onc suggested it after I had surgery. I am stage 4 and had a 6.8 cent melanoma removed from my lymph nodes. The thing is my oc also told me there has been no evidence that the Leukine injections would prolong reoccurance AND a studies from the Jonsson Center (UCLA) showed it had no benefit whatsoever if the melanoma was in the lymph nodes…I opted not to do it. I am in a anti pd 1 /vaccine trial and been NED for over 2 yrs 9 months.

LynnLuc
                                                Participant

rick1981
                                                  Participant

Does anyone know if there have been any new studies in GCMAF since 2012? Or more personal experiences? Thanks, Rick

rick1981
                                                    Participant

Does anyone know if there have been any new studies in GCMAF since 2012? Or more personal experiences? Thanks, Rick

rick1981
                                                      Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics