The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Gamma Knife/Steriods Yervoy

Forums General Melanoma Community Gamma Knife/Steriods Yervoy

Participant

My boyfriend had had two treatments of Yervoy when they found that the brain tumor that was partially removed (blood vessel involvement)  had started growing again.  He was put on steriods due to some speech symptoms of swelling and scheduled for gamma knife surgery.  The gamma knife took place today and they said to call in a month about coming off the steriods.  This would delay the Yervoy treatment again. 

My boyfriend had had two treatments of Yervoy when they found that the brain tumor that was partially removed (blood vessel involvement)  had started growing again.  He was put on steriods due to some speech symptoms of swelling and scheduled for gamma knife surgery.  The gamma knife took place today and they said to call in a month about coming off the steriods.  This would delay the Yervoy treatment again. 

Wondering if anyone else had experience with steriods after gamma knife and if so for how long?  I believe he was told to stay on the steriods by his radiation oncologist or someone from the gamma knife team.  Thinking it might be worth it to talk to his oncologist who supervises the Yervoy.  Any thoughts?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Phil S
        Participant
          Please talk to his oncologist about this information, these doctors should be discussing your boyfriend’s case, but sometimes we have to create the link. I would question any doctor who says call me in one month, about coming off steroids, they have to be weaned off slowly, so you are right to be concerned about the delay of the next yervoy. How is he doing, maybe you could start the weaning sooner, open up this line of dialogue with his doctors. I think for yervoy to have it’s maximum effectiveness the four doses need to be given within a certain time frame. Best wishes to you, Valerie ( Phil’s wife)
            Lilbrat
            Participant

Thanks Valerie – we are at least going to run it by his oncologist – they may have good reason, but we want to make sure that we asked.  Best wishes to you too.

Lilbrat
              Participant

Thanks Valerie – we are at least going to run it by his oncologist – they may have good reason, but we want to make sure that we asked.  Best wishes to you too.

Lilbrat
                Participant

Phil S
                Participant
                  Please talk to his oncologist about this information, these doctors should be discussing your boyfriend’s case, but sometimes we have to create the link. I would question any doctor who says call me in one month, about coming off steroids, they have to be weaned off slowly, so you are right to be concerned about the delay of the next yervoy. How is he doing, maybe you could start the weaning sooner, open up this line of dialogue with his doctors. I think for yervoy to have it’s maximum effectiveness the four doses need to be given within a certain time frame. Best wishes to you, Valerie ( Phil’s wife)
                  Phil S
                  Participant
                    LindyVA
                    Participant

My husband had Gamma Knife for three mets in March after receiving two Yervoy Treatments. I was very concerned about using the steroids as I knew it is standard (cautionary procedure). I spoke to the neurosurgeon and explained about the Yervoy and how we needed to kick his immuion system into gear and I was afraid the steroids would defeat what we were trying to do with the Yervoy. He admitted  never having hearing of Yervoy (don't you just love how these docs stay up the industry) 

I have a package insert I obtained from the infusion nurse at the first infusion which I keep in my purse in case of emergencies, hospital visits and I showed it to all his other docs so we are all on the same page with allowing the Yervoy its best chance to work. When the neurosurgeon read about Yervoy he said steroids were standard procedure, but in my husband’s case they would forego them but we would keep on eye on him for swelling. (Brought on by bleeding in the mets area)

My husband had 3 Yervoy only 2 days after the Gamma Knife surgery. Now, seven months later the new brain MRI shows no mets at all, not even micro mets and all existing are gone.

This was his second Gamma Knife surgery for brain mets in six months.  He has since had a PetScan which showed his lung, pancreas and chest tumors are either gone or stable. He has so far been a responder.

He is now on Yervoy maintenance every 12 weeks, and we keep our fingers crossed that the immune system continues to fight this dreadful disease. It is still a day to day, week to week, month to month battle and we pray the Yervoy continues to work.

By the way , the Gamma Knife surgeon also told me he did not know about Yervoy, because his job isonly above the neck, meaning the brain and he is not responsible for anything else in the body. It baffles me that these doctors do not talk to each other or look at the big picture in caring for their patients. 

I wish the best for you and your Bfriend, but remember you have the right to question procedures and drugs and need to be sure all his docs understand Yervoy and the do's and don'ts to give it the best possible chance.

Keep informed and make sure everyone around you is tooooooo.  Linda

Lilbrat
                        Participant

Thank you so much – sounds like they were in a very similar situation.  I am so excited for your husbands status with the brain mets. 

His daughter heard back from the doctor's nurse – he was on vacation this week and was dissapointed that they hadn't lowered his steroid dosage to wean him back off, and is going to talk to the radiology oncologist about it.  Thank heavens she called.  He will still have missed one treatment, but praying that getting back on track will work.  His daughter does a great job of dealing with the doctors – which I know from past experience isn't an easy thing to do, it can be very intimidating.  Thanks again for your response, it really helps to have people to run through this stuff with.

Lilbrat
                          Participant

Thank you so much – sounds like they were in a very similar situation.  I am so excited for your husbands status with the brain mets. 

His daughter heard back from the doctor's nurse – he was on vacation this week and was dissapointed that they hadn't lowered his steroid dosage to wean him back off, and is going to talk to the radiology oncologist about it.  Thank heavens she called.  He will still have missed one treatment, but praying that getting back on track will work.  His daughter does a great job of dealing with the doctors – which I know from past experience isn't an easy thing to do, it can be very intimidating.  Thanks again for your response, it really helps to have people to run through this stuff with.

Lilbrat
                            Participant

LindyVA
                            Participant

My husband had Gamma Knife for three mets in March after receiving two Yervoy Treatments. I was very concerned about using the steroids as I knew it is standard (cautionary procedure). I spoke to the neurosurgeon and explained about the Yervoy and how we needed to kick his immuion system into gear and I was afraid the steroids would defeat what we were trying to do with the Yervoy. He admitted  never having hearing of Yervoy (don't you just love how these docs stay up the industry) 

I have a package insert I obtained from the infusion nurse at the first infusion which I keep in my purse in case of emergencies, hospital visits and I showed it to all his other docs so we are all on the same page with allowing the Yervoy its best chance to work. When the neurosurgeon read about Yervoy he said steroids were standard procedure, but in my husband’s case they would forego them but we would keep on eye on him for swelling. (Brought on by bleeding in the mets area)

My husband had 3 Yervoy only 2 days after the Gamma Knife surgery. Now, seven months later the new brain MRI shows no mets at all, not even micro mets and all existing are gone.

This was his second Gamma Knife surgery for brain mets in six months.  He has since had a PetScan which showed his lung, pancreas and chest tumors are either gone or stable. He has so far been a responder.

He is now on Yervoy maintenance every 12 weeks, and we keep our fingers crossed that the immune system continues to fight this dreadful disease. It is still a day to day, week to week, month to month battle and we pray the Yervoy continues to work.

By the way , the Gamma Knife surgeon also told me he did not know about Yervoy, because his job isonly above the neck, meaning the brain and he is not responsible for anything else in the body. It baffles me that these doctors do not talk to each other or look at the big picture in caring for their patients. 

I wish the best for you and your Bfriend, but remember you have the right to question procedures and drugs and need to be sure all his docs understand Yervoy and the do's and don'ts to give it the best possible chance.

LindyVA
                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics