The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

gamma knife radiation on brain tumors

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community gamma knife radiation on brain tumors

Participant

I had a brain tumor about 4 weeks ago that they had to do surgery on and I descided to do a study calle bendamuskin , I was the 4th person at James Cancer Center to have this done. BUT it did not work for me. Three weeks after the  trial and surgery I was waiting to start radiation when they discovered that I had 7 more tumors. So today I had the Gamma Knife radiation treatment. I started at 7 am this morning and finally we finished at 10 pm tonight.  But they feel very confident that they got all of them this time. But that does not mean there will not be new ones to grow.

I had a brain tumor about 4 weeks ago that they had to do surgery on and I descided to do a study calle bendamuskin , I was the 4th person at James Cancer Center to have this done. BUT it did not work for me. Three weeks after the  trial and surgery I was waiting to start radiation when they discovered that I had 7 more tumors. So today I had the Gamma Knife radiation treatment. I started at 7 am this morning and finally we finished at 10 pm tonight.  But they feel very confident that they got all of them this time. But that does not mean there will not be new ones to grow. I will start a new chemo threatment next week after 3 failures of chemo I am getting just a litte discouraged , and I am praying that this one will be the one. Because the mets on my lungs are growing and have new mets in my stomach and intestiness. Nothing that is harming anything YET but as agressive as this cancer is getting now, I am afraid if they dont find something soon , it will be to late for me. But I will keep praying that God will hold my hand as I travel this path and when I can not  do it any more I pray that he will carry me home. I  know it is all in Gods hands now and will continue to pray that things will get better , But if they dont I also know that God has wonderful plans for me. God bless us all as we travel this path togather~

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Elaine, I hope that Gamma Knife has been effective in treating all of the brain mets. Hopefully bendamustine will be successful in controlling the other tumours.

You remain in my prayers.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
          Participant

Elaine, I hope that Gamma Knife has been effective in treating all of the brain mets. Hopefully bendamustine will be successful in controlling the other tumours.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
            Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

lhaley
              Participant

Elaine,

Glad to hear that your Doctors are being so aggressive. Many will not do Gamma on that many tumors.  I hope this is the last you will have issues with the brain mets.

Linda

lhaley
                Participant

Elaine,

Glad to hear that your Doctors are being so aggressive. Many will not do Gamma on that many tumors.  I hope this is the last you will have issues with the brain mets.

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

Elaine,

Linda

LynnLuc
                    Participant

Elaine, I am very familiar with James Cancer Center…as well as Children's Hospital in Columbus…born and raised a buckeye. My son received cancer treatment at Children's and my mom went to James for hers. Both are gone now.

I am curious why you went to James. They are not a comprehnsive melanoma center.

University of Pittsburg isn't that far and it has all the latest trials. It does not appear that James Cancer Center is using B raf or Yervoy or Anti- PD-1 or Til…..and these are the latest tools. I am just concerned for you . Don't wait too long…if they do not offer you something soon…got to University of Pittsburg. You need to be into a clinical trial ASAP.

Blessings,

Lynn

stage 4 NED

ElaineLinn
                        Participant

Lynn

James Cancer Center is one of the top ten cancer centers in the US. And their are also a in the top ten for their Melanoma cancer. I have been on 3 different treatments, my first choice was giving myself shots for 2 weeks and off 2 weeks. But that did not work , they found after 3 months that the cancer had moved to my lungs, so I started the IPPI treatmens, after the second treatment  of IPPI  is when I started having seizures and found that I had a brain tumor. 3 weeks after that surgery they found that I had 7 more tumors on my brain and I did the clinical trial with the first tumor which did not work. I had the gamma knife radiation done on Thursday and it was a sucess. But that does not mean that the tumors will not return. The cancer mets on my lungs are growing and have spread. But the tumors on the brain were more important then the lungs at that time. But I go back to Columbus this Thursday to meet with my Oncologest  Dr. Kendra, She is a wonderful Dr. and as far as I am concerned she is the best. I may not make it throught this cancer but I know that Dr. Kendra and all the other Drs are doing everything theat they can to help save my life and I am very grateful to everyone at the James Cancer Center. I am from WV and when the Dr. down here found the orginal melanoma mole they sent me strraight to Columbus. I did call the Hospital in Huston Texas that everyone talked about but they told me that James was one of the best hospital in the US and that my best best bet was to stay with them and I did and am very happy with my treatments and all my DR. And as for all the trials that you have mentioned James does have them and many more. I was the 4 th person in the US to to the bendmuskim trial on my brain that did not work. I did the Yervoy [IPPI] that did not work for me. I will find out my nest step this Thursday. Please keep me in your prayer along with everyone else on this panel. Melanom is deadly and we all know it but are all hopeful that they will find a cure and soon! Thank you so much for your concersn But I promiese you that James Cancer Center is a wonderful cancer center/

ElaineLinn
                          Participant

Lynn

James Cancer Center is one of the top ten cancer centers in the US. And their are also a in the top ten for their Melanoma cancer. I have been on 3 different treatments, my first choice was giving myself shots for 2 weeks and off 2 weeks. But that did not work , they found after 3 months that the cancer had moved to my lungs, so I started the IPPI treatmens, after the second treatment  of IPPI  is when I started having seizures and found that I had a brain tumor. 3 weeks after that surgery they found that I had 7 more tumors on my brain and I did the clinical trial with the first tumor which did not work. I had the gamma knife radiation done on Thursday and it was a sucess. But that does not mean that the tumors will not return. The cancer mets on my lungs are growing and have spread. But the tumors on the brain were more important then the lungs at that time. But I go back to Columbus this Thursday to meet with my Oncologest  Dr. Kendra, She is a wonderful Dr. and as far as I am concerned she is the best. I may not make it throught this cancer but I know that Dr. Kendra and all the other Drs are doing everything theat they can to help save my life and I am very grateful to everyone at the James Cancer Center. I am from WV and when the Dr. down here found the orginal melanoma mole they sent me strraight to Columbus. I did call the Hospital in Huston Texas that everyone talked about but they told me that James was one of the best hospital in the US and that my best best bet was to stay with them and I did and am very happy with my treatments and all my DR. And as for all the trials that you have mentioned James does have them and many more. I was the 4 th person in the US to to the bendmuskim trial on my brain that did not work. I did the Yervoy [IPPI] that did not work for me. I will find out my nest step this Thursday. Please keep me in your prayer along with everyone else on this panel. Melanom is deadly and we all know it but are all hopeful that they will find a cure and soon! Thank you so much for your concersn But I promiese you that James Cancer Center is a wonderful cancer center/

ElaineLinn
                            Participant

Lynn

LynnLuc
                            Participant

Elaine, I am very familiar with James Cancer Center…as well as Children's Hospital in Columbus…born and raised a buckeye. My son received cancer treatment at Children's and my mom went to James for hers. Both are gone now.

I am curious why you went to James. They are not a comprehnsive melanoma center.

University of Pittsburg isn't that far and it has all the latest trials. It does not appear that James Cancer Center is using B raf or Yervoy or Anti- PD-1 or Til…..and these are the latest tools. I am just concerned for you . Don't wait too long…if they do not offer you something soon…got to University of Pittsburg. You need to be into a clinical trial ASAP.

Blessings,

Lynn

stage 4 NED

LynnLuc
                              Participant

Blessings,

Lynn

stage 4 NED

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics