The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

gamma knife

Forums General Melanoma Community gamma knife

Participant

Thank you, everyone, for making this such a helpful place!

I’ve had progression while on Nivo. The oncologist recommends a one-time radiation/gamma knife for a single brain met, and says side effects are minimal and rare and the treatment has an 80% success rate. Suggestions for good reading on this? Has anyone here had a one-time treatment for a brain met? Results? Side effects? Other comments? Thanks.

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        AMcReader
        Participant

I had SRS to the tumor bed where my brain tumor was removed, it was 3 quick sessions. I lost my hair in the place that they treated about 3 months later but never experienced any other symptoms and am happy to report no other tumors have popped up in my brain since that time (April 2018). I can’t recommend any specific reading but I know that there have been many studies that show the combination of immunotherapy of and radiation make both treatments more effective. Good luck to you! 

RichInLife2
          Participant

In September I had SRS to a single brain met. The brain met was slightly less than 1cm at the time. After the treatment, my radiation oncologist seemed surprised that the tumor had actually shrunk slightly in the next scan. In my most recent scan, the tumor is still about the same size (which is good) and there is much less swelling around the tumor (also good). He thinks that the tumor likely has no viable cancer cells, but we'll continue to monitor my brain. I'm currently on monthly Nivo treatments.

As for side effects, so far so good. I didn't even have any hair loss. Of course, radiation to the brain can cause side effects years down the road, so a lot of knocking on wood here. Right now, I feel great.

That's just my personal experience. I'm sure that Celeste with chime in with some great links.

Good luck!

ed williams
            Participant

Hi IBK, yes had 3 treated by cyberknife back in 2013, they were about 4 to 5 mm in size. I had single treatment and tumors resolved. It allowed me to then qualify for checkmate 067 trial of Ipi+Nivo or either drug as monotherapy. I have been on Nivo arm of trial since Jan. of 2014. Best Wishes!!! Ed

Bubbles
              Participant

Much like the others…I too had SRS (radiation) to a brain met in 2010, followed by 2 1/2 years of nivo.  Last dose of nivo in June of 2013.  No significant side effects from the radiaiton.  No melanoma since!!  Additionally, there is a great deal of data demonstrating that when radiation is combined with immunotherapy the response is greater than with either treatment alone:

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=radiation+and+immunotherapy  

I wish you my best.  celeste

lkb
                Participant

Thank you, Amanda, Rich, Ed, and Celeste! I'm feeling better about this treatment. 

VinceMart
                  Participant

I just had SRS in early December for 1 brain met (3mm) on my cerebellum.  It was quick and easy with no side effects.  Wishing you all the best.

Vince

lkb
                      Participant

Thank you, Vince. How many weeks until your follow-up scan to check results?

VinceMart
                        Participant

Early March, so it is quite a way off

lkb
                          Participant

Okay. I'll take that to mean the docs are confident about the treatment. Mine will be "an all-day procedure," so I think that might be the difference between gamma and cyber. Thanks for responding.

cancersnewnormal
                          Participant

I've had gamma done 10 times. Yup… 10 head frames. You can do this! My last lesion was a "breakthrough" while on Keytruda. Gamma blasted it and continued the infusions… all has been ok since Feb 2016. Lucky for me, at USC, they sedate you for the frame placement. Although I suppose a good dose of Ativan would also be helpful. :-p 

Viewing 6 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics