The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Frozen with fear and anxiety, does it ever get easier. Please help

Forums General Melanoma Community Frozen with fear and anxiety, does it ever get easier. Please help

Participant
      I have recently been diagnosed at stage one. I am so scared and it is affecting my day to day living. I feel frozen and keep researching on the internet which only makes it all feel worse. I am so fearful it will spread at some stage and I’m waiting for a lump in my nodes to appear.
      Does this feeling ever subside? It has changed my whole life and I don’t want to feel so scared all the time.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        AnxiousDad
        Participant
          You sound a lot like me. We have it really easy compared to many of the warriors on this forum…yet we still are taking it very hard mentally. I cant really explain it…I know the facts and that I have been lucky with catching it early…but I still stress & worry and over think. Sleepless nights. Depression. Unable to be present with friends & family. Distracted and as you said … frozen. I feel guilty and selfish and even ashamed that this has affected me so much even though it is so minor.

I will say that after two years , things have gotten more normal for me. I’m all worried out. Things wont be the the same but also things have changed for the better because I appreciate little things more now. And I appreciate the big things more too – time with my kids, wife etc..so yes, for me it has subsided.

It’s easier said than done but if you can, stop waiting and worrying and enjoy every day even more. Use this as a motivation to enjoy life more. Worry and wait and frozen is not productive. Take this from someone whose done that…

Best of luck to you..and all warriors fighting this disease at all levels…physically & mentally.

Butterfly74
            Participant
              Thank you for replying. Yes there are people so strong on this site who are doing it much harder. I am hoping with time the fear and anxiety too will subside for me. It sounds like you are doing really well now two years later, can I ask what stage you are? Do you have regular followups? I know that by staying in my current mental state it is not going to help, I just fear for the future. it is really nice to speak to others on this site.
            Mark 2020
            Participant
              Hi Anonymous, A lot of people are going to tell you “Don’t be scared!” but it really is ok to be scared. This is all new to you and we all have a fear of the unknown. I was diagnosed at stage 4 2 weeks ago and had my first immunotherapy session with Opdivo/Yervey combo this past Wed. So far, 4 days later and no side effects. I try to look at life as an adventure. This has taken me too from my day to day routine. I am getting an education in melanoma treatment. I am able to explain to my family and friends what I am going through. I don’t know if this forum allows us to talk about religion and I certainly don’t want to offend anyone. But I believe my faith is what makes me “Okay with it”.
              My advice is to put your focus on your family and friends. Help them get through this by setting an example , but always be honest . . . if you are in pain or scared, let them know.. You are also going to hear a lot of “You’re in my thoughts and prayers.” People don’t usually know what to say to comfort you at a time like this but know that they are sincere in their concern for you. I hope you have a good support group. If not, this forum is a good start.and as for me, I’d recommend a church. One last thing you are going to hear a lot, I wish you the very best. Mark
                Butterfly74
                Participant
                  Hi Mark, thank you for your reply and well wishes. You sound very strong and are very positive. It all is so overwhelming and I feel paralysed by the fear and uncertainty of it all. I am slowly reaching out to family and afew friends but still feel alone. I am only still relatively young and want to see my children grow up, I can’t believe this is all happening.
                  All my best to you too.
                SABKLYN
                Participant
                  Hi Anon,
                  After my CLND and 2 week stay in the hospital for a post op infection I arrived home and did experience some anxiety. After a couple of weeks, I began to get out of the house and engage in physical activity. Walking at first (very nice area to walk near my home) and after awhile running. That really helped lower my anxiousness and combined with the healing gave me a more positive perspective. I did experience a touch of anxiety when I had my check ups (first every three months, then six, then annually) and usually right after my scans (“scanxiety” as many people here call it). For me it was the passage of time and staying active that really helped.
                  Good luck!
                  SABKLYN
                  Participant
                    Hi Anon,
                    After my CLND and 2 week stay in the hospital for a post op infection I arrived home and did experience some anxiety. After a couple of weeks, I began to get out of the house and engage in physical activity. Walking at first (very nice area to walk near my home) and after awhile running. That really helped lower my anxiousness and combined with the healing gave me a more positive perspective. I did experience a touch of anxiety when I had my check ups (first every three months, then six, then annually) and usually right after my scans (“scanxiety” as many people here call it). For me it was the passage of time and staying active that really helped.
                    Good luck!
                      Butterfly74
                      Participant
                        Thank you for replying, it sounds like you are doing very well now. I am hoping with time that things will get easier for me and I won’t be worrying so much.
                        All the best to you.
                      S.lavelle
                      Participant
                        I was in your shoes a week before Christmas. Just turned 37 fit and healthy and married with 3 little ones under 6 then bam hit by the truck that was stage 2a melanoma. I had a few weeks of no sleep and little or no food. It was hell on earth wondering would this miserable Christmas be my last and would I live to see my children old enough to remember me. I just managed to pick myself up when I got the news it was present in the lymph node they had removed and once again I spiralled into a dark dark place. Since then I have been lucky enough to have a clear ct and pet scan and I am starting treatment tomorrow to reduce reoccurrence. Sometimes I think it has all been a blessing. I feel so so grateful every morning I dress and feed my children. I am far more patient with them and I really have a new appreciation for the simple things in life. It has brought my husband and I so much closer together. We have been through too much to fight over silly things anymore. I really know he has my back. Life is short and it is to be enjoyed. This is the lesson that I have learned. You will come to a stage that you will stop obsessing over it and it won’t occupy your thoughts quite as much. I am also finding exercise very helpful
                          Butterfly74
                          Participant
                            Thank you for replying, I have children too and the fear and worry I have is so overwhelming. My doctor says it’s been found early and I don’t think she seems to be too concerned which I actually find concerning. I read a lot about people finding it ‘early’, I’m not even sure what that is anymore, and then they are stage 3 and 4. I admire your outlook on it all and hope with time I can move forward and not be so scared. Best wishes to you.
                      Viewing 4 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics