The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Friend diagnosed…need help with questions for the dr.

Forums General Melanoma Community Friend diagnosed…need help with questions for the dr.

Participant

Hi.  I haven't been here in a long time.  My first husband passed away with Melanoma 7 1/2 years ago.  I have just found out that a friend has to go to a surgeon to have one removed.  Needless to say, he is very upset.  I remembered this site and knew you all could help him.  He hasn't gotten a lot of info.  He knows it has to come off.  What are the questions that he has to ask the dr when they call him to tell him the results.  The derm told him it was suspicious.  The surgeon that read the same report told him it sounded like

Hi.  I haven't been here in a long time.  My first husband passed away with Melanoma 7 1/2 years ago.  I have just found out that a friend has to go to a surgeon to have one removed.  Needless to say, he is very upset.  I remembered this site and knew you all could help him.  He hasn't gotten a lot of info.  He knows it has to come off.  What are the questions that he has to ask the dr when they call him to tell him the results.  The derm told him it was suspicious.  The surgeon that read the same report told him it sounded like it is Stage 2.  It has been a long time since my husband went through it and even then, I didn't know what to ask at the beginning.  I didn't find this site till much later.  So please help him. Thank you.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        jim Breitfeller
        Participant

Reply to this request: If you contact me at [email protected], I will send a paper that will be very Helpful.

Take care

Jimmy B

http://melanomamissionary.blogspot.com/

Melanoma Missionary

jim Breitfeller
          Participant

Reply to this request: If you contact me at [email protected], I will send a paper that will be very Helpful.

Take care

Jimmy B

http://melanomamissionary.blogspot.com/

Melanoma Missionary

dian in spokane
            Participant

Hi Nora,

You are such a good friend to come back to this place to help your friend. I am sure it holds painful memories for you. You might remember that sometimes, when one is faced with such shocking news, it's easy to confuse 'breslow's depth' with 'clarkes level' So maybe he is not stage 2.

It sounds like maybe he's had a biopsy, and been referred to a surgeon for a wide local excision and, perhaps, a sentinal node biopsy..which would be normal if his breslow's depth is over 1mm.

If you were here 7 and 8 yrs ago, you probably remember Janner, and all the great advice she gave (and still does) She's developed a site of her own, which you can find at: http://www.melanomaresources.info and it has a newly diagnosed section. I'd also say..send your friend here if he is ready to start doing some research.

I went looking for an article I used to have that listed questions to ask on your first doctor visit, but I can't find it. But, he should ask for a copy of his pathology report, and for an explanation of the details contained in that report.

He should ask about the Breslow's depth of his tumor, about the miotic rate, about ulceration. He should ask about the plan of action, and if he will be referred to an oncologist ..and if not, why not.

You are a good friend!

dian in spokane

Noramott
                Participant

dian in spokane,

Thank you for the reply.  Yes I remember Janner from years ago.  I actually had thought she would respond, I don't know why but that was the familiar person that answered so many questions years ago.  I will pass on the advice.  Thank you again.

Janner
                  Participant

I would have responded, but Dian beat me to it!  Happy to answer any questions you or your friend has!

Janner

[email protected]

Janner
                    Participant

I would have responded, but Dian beat me to it!  Happy to answer any questions you or your friend has!

Janner

[email protected]

Noramott
                      Participant

dian in spokane,

Thank you for the reply.  Yes I remember Janner from years ago.  I actually had thought she would respond, I don't know why but that was the familiar person that answered so many questions years ago.  I will pass on the advice.  Thank you again.

dian in spokane
                      Participant

Hi Nora,

You are such a good friend to come back to this place to help your friend. I am sure it holds painful memories for you. You might remember that sometimes, when one is faced with such shocking news, it's easy to confuse 'breslow's depth' with 'clarkes level' So maybe he is not stage 2.

It sounds like maybe he's had a biopsy, and been referred to a surgeon for a wide local excision and, perhaps, a sentinal node biopsy..which would be normal if his breslow's depth is over 1mm.

If you were here 7 and 8 yrs ago, you probably remember Janner, and all the great advice she gave (and still does) She's developed a site of her own, which you can find at: http://www.melanomaresources.info and it has a newly diagnosed section. I'd also say..send your friend here if he is ready to start doing some research.

I went looking for an article I used to have that listed questions to ask on your first doctor visit, but I can't find it. But, he should ask for a copy of his pathology report, and for an explanation of the details contained in that report.

He should ask about the Breslow's depth of his tumor, about the miotic rate, about ulceration. He should ask about the plan of action, and if he will be referred to an oncologist ..and if not, why not.

You are a good friend!

dian in spokane

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics