The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Free Cleaning Service for Women with Cancer

Forums General Melanoma Community Free Cleaning Service for Women with Cancer

Participant

Treatment Diaries posted this on facebook, and this is a link to their website. Unbelievable service, I checked them out as I' sure Treatment Diaries did.

http://cleaningforareason.org/index.html

This is what they say,

Treatment Diaries posted this on facebook, and this is a link to their website. Unbelievable service, I checked them out as I' sure Treatment Diaries did.

http://cleaningforareason.org/index.html

This is what they say,

"Fighting cancer is difficult enough, but living with it is even tougher – and that's where the Cleaning for A Reason Foundation steps in.  This  nonprofit offers free professional housecleaning, and maid services to improve the lives of women undergoing treatment for cancer – any type of cancer."

They have a link to find the service closest to you.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        RMcLegal
        Participant

Very nice idea.  But, what?  Only women clean the house?  Where do I buy a ticket to that universe?  Seriously, thanks for sharing the link.  Rich

http://www.hotelmelanoma.blogspot.com

Carol Taylor
            Participant

Everything starts somewhere. Maybe some men will get together and volunteer to clean for men with cancer. I'll buy you a ticket to the universe where only women clean the house if you'll buy ME a ticket to this alternate universe where men will voluntarily clean for other men.

It is a great idea and start and I'm sure, much appreciated. Surely there are men who benefit!

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
              Participant

Everything starts somewhere. Maybe some men will get together and volunteer to clean for men with cancer. I'll buy you a ticket to the universe where only women clean the house if you'll buy ME a ticket to this alternate universe where men will voluntarily clean for other men.

It is a great idea and start and I'm sure, much appreciated. Surely there are men who benefit!

Grace and peace,

Carol

RMcLegal
              Participant

Very nice idea.  But, what?  Only women clean the house?  Where do I buy a ticket to that universe?  Seriously, thanks for sharing the link.  Rich

http://www.hotelmelanoma.blogspot.com

Janis B.
                Participant

A friend sent me this link when I was going through interferon in 2010.  I registered for the service, but never got a response.  Has anyone else tried?

Janis B.
                  Participant

A friend sent me this link when I was going through interferon in 2010.  I registered for the service, but never got a response.  Has anyone else tried?

Cooper
                    Participant

Yup, I called them and got no response! 

Cooper
                      Participant

Yup, I called them and got no response! 

Cooper
                        Participant

carol,

You might want to check these things out before you post them.  It is a shame when people donate to charities who don't provide the service they say they do.

Cooper
                          Participant

carol,

You might want to check these things out before you post them.  It is a shame when people donate to charities who don't provide the service they say they do.

nicoli
                            Participant

I actually saw this recently on one of the major news networks that I read online. Didn't read the whole article but the headline.

I wonder if this charity works through local cleaning services and those local cleaning services aren't very cooperative.

Nicki, Stage 3b

Carol Taylor
                                Participant

Nicki,

That's what I'm thinking…that a few bad apples are spoiling the barrel.

Folks, snopes verifies this as legitimate. Plus, I saw Treatment Diaries had posted it, that's where I got it. Amy wouldn't have endorsed it if it was all wrong either. Maybe those who have had a bad experience need to let the founders of the charity know because it does bring them down. But there are "let downs" with every group.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/charity/cleaning.asp

Grace and peace,

Carol

lhaley
                                  Participant

This is a partnership with Hoover Cleaners and independent companies across the country along with the organization itself.  I know from an article in the local newspaper that it worked in Myrtle Beach. There were a few women that were interviewed. We've moved over a year ago so it was before then.

If you look carefully at the website you will see that they do not have independent companies in all areas that are willing to do this.  Also, it says on the application that they cannot take all applicants and they do not have a waiting list, you just have to apply again. 

If I remember correctly from the interview I read I think that a women is eligible for the cleaning service something like 3 times- at least that was in the MB area.  It's not meant to be something that totally takes over for you but a help.

I'll never forget the day my girlfriend and her daughter showed up to clean my house – I didn't have a clue they were coming and had just had bladder surgery.  My house was spotless and they were upset that there was nothing they could do.  My husband is a type A personality and the house is aways cleaner when I'm sick then when I'm not!  If someone needs assistance you often only need to let a friend know and they will be there to help.   My friend ended up making treats for my husband so she felt helpful.

Linda

lhaley
                                    Participant

This is a partnership with Hoover Cleaners and independent companies across the country along with the organization itself.  I know from an article in the local newspaper that it worked in Myrtle Beach. There were a few women that were interviewed. We've moved over a year ago so it was before then.

If you look carefully at the website you will see that they do not have independent companies in all areas that are willing to do this.  Also, it says on the application that they cannot take all applicants and they do not have a waiting list, you just have to apply again. 

If I remember correctly from the interview I read I think that a women is eligible for the cleaning service something like 3 times- at least that was in the MB area.  It's not meant to be something that totally takes over for you but a help.

I'll never forget the day my girlfriend and her daughter showed up to clean my house – I didn't have a clue they were coming and had just had bladder surgery.  My house was spotless and they were upset that there was nothing they could do.  My husband is a type A personality and the house is aways cleaner when I'm sick then when I'm not!  If someone needs assistance you often only need to let a friend know and they will be there to help.   My friend ended up making treats for my husband so she felt helpful.

Linda

bcl
                                      Participant

I found more comments like these, sounds like they are pretty hit and miss with their services.

https://www.inspire.com/groups/national-cervical-cancer-coalition/discussion/dont-waste-your-time-signing-up-for-cleaning-for-a-reason/

Don't waste your time signing up for Cleaning for a Reason

1 Recommendation

I am a breast cancer patient currently undergoing a very harsh chemotherapy treatment. I received almost 30 emails from many of my cherished friends and family regarding Cleaning for a Reason so I decided to contact them. They required that I fill out and send in all their paperwork which included a signed document from my oncologist which I promptly did. They responded saying I had been approved but that they are in the process of locating a maid service in the area. I took it upon myself to locate one for them who told me that all I needed to do was give their information to Cleaning for a reason and they would "get on the ball" and clean my house. I forwarded their information to this organization and a week later I received a generic email back apologizing that "they were not able to find a match for me in the area and understand how dissapointed I must be blah, blah, blah." I reminded them that I had already found a service and all they needed to do was contact them through their organization. But then I received the same "generic" apology email back. So, I do not believe this is a legitimate organization and really believe it is a scam. For people who are undergoing life-threatening diseases and very harsh chemotherapy is bad enough – but to be disappointed and frankly be put through such a cruel process when you ill and not feeling well is shameful. If they can't do an adequate job of doing what they say they do then they should shut the doors and save a lot of cancer patients more heartache.

View 4 replies Reply

Explore topics in this discussion:

Cancer Chemotherapy Breast cancer Multiple myeloma

4 replies

Cleaning for a Reason is not a scam and I am sorry you are having a hard time finding help. I own a Maid Service who has been providing free cleanings for numerous patients every month of the year for over 3 years now. Every Cleaning Company or Maid Service owner who partners with Cleaning For a Reason, agrees to completely gives away that cleaning for free (we pay our staff and match thier taxes, and make sure they are bonded and insured while cleaning for you). There is no reimbursement or incentive in any way. Not only do we give away what we do for free, in to be a "cleaning for a reason" maid service we also commit to sending in monthly support to Cleaning for a Reason in order to assist this wonderful non-profit organization. So, we give of our money each month, and our services for free. THAT is the reason you are having a hard time finding a company in your area, not every company is as generous or can afford to give away whey do for free, while paying monthly dues to do so. I have been trying to recruit other cleaning companies in the metropolis that I live in to join me every chance I have an opportunity to network, but sadly no other companies that have joined with me in my city to do what I am doing. My company can only afford 3 clients per month with our other philanthropic endeavors, so yes, often the window is closed.

As a Maid Service owner, I would suggest that the cleaning service owner that you contacted should be the one to contact Cleaning For a Reason on your behalf, letting them know she can take you. Possibly by the time your paperwork went through, she had already agreed to take on someone else? When my "window" opens for me to take on new clients, I usually get so many requests, I accept them all on the same day, have to turn down the rest and let Cleaning for a Reason know, I will be open for patients again in 3 months (we give away 3 free cleanings to 3 patients for 3 months). That is what I do for the ladies who contact me, I email all their info directly to Cleaning for a Reason, and then I follow up as well. The best thing to do would actually be to call Maid Services in your area who are not participating and inform them of this great way they can give back to their community. Or, if you know of a friend or relative who hires a Maid Service, have them share with that service owner about Cleaning for a Reason, so that more companies would get involved.

I am undergoing chemotherapy for multiple myeloma in Atlanta. I signed up for cleaning for a reason to give my family (my husband and teenage sons) a break from cleaning the house. I got an email saying they were trying to find a maid service and then one saying that they couldn't find one and that I could reapply in a few months. I was actually contacted by a maid service just before I received the email from cleaning for a reason saying they couldn't find anyone. Anyway, this maid service, Maids of Georgia, set up an appointment to come clean. Unfortunately, no one ever showed up. When I called the service to find out what was going on, I got 2 different stories 1) they couldn't find my house , 2) I wasn't on the schedule. I think this is a scam so that maid services can put the cleaning for a reason seal on their website and pretend to be philanthropists. It was very disappointing to me to have to tell my family that the service did not come through. I would NEVER recommend cleaning for a reason to anyone.

I am so sorry that you both have had bad experiences. I am also a cleaning service and a member of Cleaning for a Reason. We do not profit at all and actually pay monthly, quarterly or annually to help the foundation. The only thing that I can possibly see thats happening here is that there must not be a maid service in your area that has applied to be a part of this wonderful organization. As for the company in Atlanta, they probably agreed via phone with you but when they actually contacted cleaning for a reason , realized they actually have to pay membership fees and clean out of the kidness of their hearts, changed their minds. It is very disheartening and cruel but Don't give up on Cleaning For A Reason or blame them. There are several cleaning companies that have partnered up to help and are doing just that. I try to spread the word to competitors (friends on twitter that are cleaning companies) The more reputable Cleaning companies in more areas will make it alot easier on the organization to assist and help.

Vermont_Donna
                                        Participant

Hi,

I applied a while ago, at some friends urging as well….seemed legititmate enough service, but there were no cleaning services in Vermont signed up with the service.at the time..so no service for me…thats ok…I have friends who have helped and I enjoy cleaning my house…gives me something to focus on when I am home….

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

Vermont_Donna
                                          Participant

Hi,

I applied a while ago, at some friends urging as well….seemed legititmate enough service, but there were no cleaning services in Vermont signed up with the service.at the time..so no service for me…thats ok…I have friends who have helped and I enjoy cleaning my house…gives me something to focus on when I am home….

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

bcl
                                            Participant

I found more comments like these, sounds like they are pretty hit and miss with their services.

https://www.inspire.com/groups/national-cervical-cancer-coalition/discussion/dont-waste-your-time-signing-up-for-cleaning-for-a-reason/

Don't waste your time signing up for Cleaning for a Reason

1 Recommendation

I am a breast cancer patient currently undergoing a very harsh chemotherapy treatment. I received almost 30 emails from many of my cherished friends and family regarding Cleaning for a Reason so I decided to contact them. They required that I fill out and send in all their paperwork which included a signed document from my oncologist which I promptly did. They responded saying I had been approved but that they are in the process of locating a maid service in the area. I took it upon myself to locate one for them who told me that all I needed to do was give their information to Cleaning for a reason and they would "get on the ball" and clean my house. I forwarded their information to this organization and a week later I received a generic email back apologizing that "they were not able to find a match for me in the area and understand how dissapointed I must be blah, blah, blah." I reminded them that I had already found a service and all they needed to do was contact them through their organization. But then I received the same "generic" apology email back. So, I do not believe this is a legitimate organization and really believe it is a scam. For people who are undergoing life-threatening diseases and very harsh chemotherapy is bad enough – but to be disappointed and frankly be put through such a cruel process when you ill and not feeling well is shameful. If they can't do an adequate job of doing what they say they do then they should shut the doors and save a lot of cancer patients more heartache.

View 4 replies Reply

Explore topics in this discussion:

Cancer Chemotherapy Breast cancer Multiple myeloma

4 replies

Cleaning for a Reason is not a scam and I am sorry you are having a hard time finding help. I own a Maid Service who has been providing free cleanings for numerous patients every month of the year for over 3 years now. Every Cleaning Company or Maid Service owner who partners with Cleaning For a Reason, agrees to completely gives away that cleaning for free (we pay our staff and match thier taxes, and make sure they are bonded and insured while cleaning for you). There is no reimbursement or incentive in any way. Not only do we give away what we do for free, in to be a "cleaning for a reason" maid service we also commit to sending in monthly support to Cleaning for a Reason in order to assist this wonderful non-profit organization. So, we give of our money each month, and our services for free. THAT is the reason you are having a hard time finding a company in your area, not every company is as generous or can afford to give away whey do for free, while paying monthly dues to do so. I have been trying to recruit other cleaning companies in the metropolis that I live in to join me every chance I have an opportunity to network, but sadly no other companies that have joined with me in my city to do what I am doing. My company can only afford 3 clients per month with our other philanthropic endeavors, so yes, often the window is closed.

As a Maid Service owner, I would suggest that the cleaning service owner that you contacted should be the one to contact Cleaning For a Reason on your behalf, letting them know she can take you. Possibly by the time your paperwork went through, she had already agreed to take on someone else? When my "window" opens for me to take on new clients, I usually get so many requests, I accept them all on the same day, have to turn down the rest and let Cleaning for a Reason know, I will be open for patients again in 3 months (we give away 3 free cleanings to 3 patients for 3 months). That is what I do for the ladies who contact me, I email all their info directly to Cleaning for a Reason, and then I follow up as well. The best thing to do would actually be to call Maid Services in your area who are not participating and inform them of this great way they can give back to their community. Or, if you know of a friend or relative who hires a Maid Service, have them share with that service owner about Cleaning for a Reason, so that more companies would get involved.

I am undergoing chemotherapy for multiple myeloma in Atlanta. I signed up for cleaning for a reason to give my family (my husband and teenage sons) a break from cleaning the house. I got an email saying they were trying to find a maid service and then one saying that they couldn't find one and that I could reapply in a few months. I was actually contacted by a maid service just before I received the email from cleaning for a reason saying they couldn't find anyone. Anyway, this maid service, Maids of Georgia, set up an appointment to come clean. Unfortunately, no one ever showed up. When I called the service to find out what was going on, I got 2 different stories 1) they couldn't find my house , 2) I wasn't on the schedule. I think this is a scam so that maid services can put the cleaning for a reason seal on their website and pretend to be philanthropists. It was very disappointing to me to have to tell my family that the service did not come through. I would NEVER recommend cleaning for a reason to anyone.

I am so sorry that you both have had bad experiences. I am also a cleaning service and a member of Cleaning for a Reason. We do not profit at all and actually pay monthly, quarterly or annually to help the foundation. The only thing that I can possibly see thats happening here is that there must not be a maid service in your area that has applied to be a part of this wonderful organization. As for the company in Atlanta, they probably agreed via phone with you but when they actually contacted cleaning for a reason , realized they actually have to pay membership fees and clean out of the kidness of their hearts, changed their minds. It is very disheartening and cruel but Don't give up on Cleaning For A Reason or blame them. There are several cleaning companies that have partnered up to help and are doing just that. I try to spread the word to competitors (friends on twitter that are cleaning companies) The more reputable Cleaning companies in more areas will make it alot easier on the organization to assist and help.

Carol Taylor
                                              Participant

Nicki,

That's what I'm thinking…that a few bad apples are spoiling the barrel.

Folks, snopes verifies this as legitimate. Plus, I saw Treatment Diaries had posted it, that's where I got it. Amy wouldn't have endorsed it if it was all wrong either. Maybe those who have had a bad experience need to let the founders of the charity know because it does bring them down. But there are "let downs" with every group.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/charity/cleaning.asp

Grace and peace,

Carol

nicoli
                                              Participant

I actually saw this recently on one of the major news networks that I read online. Didn't read the whole article but the headline.

I wonder if this charity works through local cleaning services and those local cleaning services aren't very cooperative.

Nicki, Stage 3b

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics